The Student Room Group

2013 Finance/Accountancy Internships

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've done the KPMG SJT twice and I keep getting rejected. I don't understand why.
Original post by jj193
I've done the KPMG SJT twice and I keep getting rejected. I don't understand why.

Have they said that it's the Situational Judgement Test that's the reason for the rejection? It's worth noting that KPMG assess your entire application along with your SJT results and then make a decision so there may be another reason such as your academics.
Reply 22
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Have they said that it's the Situational Judgement Test that's the reason for the rejection? It's worth noting that KPMG assess your entire application along with your SJT results and then make a decision so there may be another reason such as your academics.

That's what they said. I assume they say what they mean. I don't think my CV is bad, it got me an AC last year while ignoring telephone interviews. The email stated they reject the bottom third, and I'm in the bottom third.

It's a shame because iirc there's not that many stages to the KPMG process. And to fail a test that I really have no clue where i'm going wrong. I mean, do I answer questions with insight as to how working-life in a big audit firm for a graduate is actually like or how they wish to present it as? etc. My own 'honest' approach certainly doesn't work.

If anyone wants the questions before the SJT pm me. (I started saving them after the first few, they're always the same) *expects a lot of PMs*
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Applied and rejected from their Actuary 2013 grad schemes.... but to be expected. Said 320 UCAS points, I only have 300. Very irritating that they don't consider students who develop over time; we're not all brilliant from the off! I knew I'd be rejected but you don't get anywhere if you don't apply to these things.... plus it wastes 5 mins of their time looking at my application :P
Reply 24
Original post by orionmoo
Applied and rejected from their Actuary 2013 grad schemes.... but to be expected. Said 320 UCAS points, I only have 300. Very irritating that they don't consider students who develop over time; we're not all brilliant from the off! I knew I'd be rejected but you don't get anywhere if you don't apply to these things.... plus it wastes 5 mins of their time looking at my application :P

aww unlucky. I applied for actuarial work too. 300 is normally the magic number. Did you do anything 'extra' sometimes things get UCAS points, like music grades etc..

Anyway, what did they say on the rejection - specifically that your UCAS is unsatisfactory?
Reply 25
Original post by jj193
aww unlucky. I applied for actuarial work too. 300 is normally the magic number. Did you do anything 'extra' sometimes things get UCAS points, like music grades etc..

Anyway, what did they say on the rejection - specifically that your UCAS is unsatisfactory?

For the big 4 for actuary, they all seem to want 320 - but i have a spreadsheet of 40+ employers and their opening dates etc and most as you said want 300, so should be okay.

I did have 2 extra AS Levels so that take it to 390 when you add them in (not including GS), but oh well. In the email it said your results to date do not meet minimum requirements. So that pretty much means nice try but you don't have the 320.

I know 320 is only ABB but at the time in college if you've only got to uni on ABC then you think that's good enough... not in this case! Oh well.

Just submitted for deloitte - they allow two schemes to be put on the application form, so my second is risk consultancy which is 300 so fingers crossed! If not then only 40 more to go haha!

There's quite a few places out there still looking for 2012 grads so I'm sure all of us that really want to get in there will have a decent chance for 2013 :smile:

On a side note - does anyone know much about doing a PGDip/MSc after our BSc before entering grad schemes. If these exempt us from some institution exams would employers look more highly on an application? Or would they not care at all seeing as most of the time they'll just make us learn on the job for the exams...
I also got rejected from KPMG for academic reasons despite going to Durham with 320 UCAS points...seems strange but oh well, been successful with E&Y and Deloitte so far.

Which reminds me, anyone know why E&Y have an interview first and if youre successful you go to an assessment centre? Seems like the senior managers will be interviewing literally hundreds of people, I wouldve thought the AC would be more effective at filtering out people and its what they did in the past too.
I'm in a pretty sticky situation at the moment and wondered if I could get some advice.

Basically, I was hospitalised just before my first year exams which affected me greatly and even with special consideration I was only able to achieve a 2:2 in my first year. Deloitte say you need a 2:1 minimum in your first year to be considered but both E&Y and KPMG require a 'Minimum 2:1 degree' with no real added detail. Will my 2:2 seriously hinder my chances or is my predicted grade more important?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Boom Pow
I'm in a pretty sticky situation at the moment and wondered if I could get some advice.

Basically, I was hospitalised just before my first year exams which affected me greatly and even with special consideration I was only able to achieve a 2:2 in my first year. Deloitte say you need a 2:1 minimum in your first year to be considered but both E&Y and KPMG require a 'Minimum 2:1 degree' with no real added detail. Will my 2:2 seriously hinder my chances or is my predicted grade more important?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you can justify a 2:1 as your predicted grade there should be no problem applying.
Anybody applying KPMG Tax at the moment? I'm told that I was successful at the numerical and verbal reasoning tests (numerical was just brutal) but they've just closed their 2013 vacancies (after being open for only 15 days) so they can re-evaluate the resources required. The Tax vacancies won't open until September and I can either remain in the talent pool until then or choose another programme to switch to.

Shame they haven't opened the Audit vacation programme yet either. I may have switched to it. Guess I'll wait. :beard:

Original post by jj193
That's what they said. I assume they say what they mean. I don't think my CV is bad, it got me an AC last year while ignoring telephone interviews. The email stated they reject the bottom third, and I'm in the bottom third.

It's a shame because iirc there's not that many stages to the KPMG process. And to fail a test that I really have no clue where i'm going wrong. I mean, do I answer questions with insight as to how working-life in a big audit firm for a graduate is actually like or how they wish to present it as? etc. My own 'honest' approach certainly doesn't work.

Personally, I've found that a combination of an honest approach and common sense has always worked for me. For example, if there's a situation where you've completed your work and have nothing to do, I'd ask colleagues or members of the team first if they needed any help with anything with the next options being turning to my manager or doing some self-learning with the worst option being 'waiting for someone to approach you with something'.

Similarly, in a lot of situations one of the options might be to cancel a social meeting in order to complete a project. I've never actually put that as the 'best' option but I can see why people might if they thought they were deliberately wanting an answer that 'favoured' a work commitment over everything else. I actually think that would be worst option.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Anybody applying KPMG Tax at the moment? I'm told that I was successful at the numerical and verbal reasoning tests (numerical was just brutal) but they've just closed their 2013 vacancies (after being open for only 15 days) so they can re-evaluate the resources required.

Hi there, just a quick question. I've applied to 2012 grad vacancy in auditing. I guess I'm getting a little impatient but am just wondering how quickly did you get the invitation to do verbal & numerical assessments?

I did my SJT on Friday evening, at the moment my status is that they're looking at the SJT and I also just received an e-mail request to clarify what I've done after my degree - graduated in 2010... I guess at least it's a positive sign that they bothered to ask about that rather than just brutally reject me since I'm not a "typical" applicant.

Tbh I have no idea how I did in the SJT, I find those things to be a little strange and I certainly just went with honesty rather than trying to say what I think they want to hear..
Original post by string_bean_jean
Hi there, just a quick question. I've applied to 2012 grad vacancy in auditing. I guess I'm getting a little impatient but am just wondering how quickly did you get the invitation to do verbal & numerical assessments?

I did my SJT on Friday evening, at the moment my status is that they're looking at the SJT and I also just received an e-mail request to clarify what I've done after my degree - graduated in 2010... I guess at least it's a positive sign that they bothered to ask about that rather than just brutally reject me since I'm not a "typical" applicant.

Tbh I have no idea how I did in the SJT, I find those things to be a little strange and I certainly just went with honesty rather than trying to say what I think they want to hear..

Hey, it can be anywhere between 1-5 working days. They are probably fairly swamped at the moment given they have just opened their 2013 programmes. Good luck!
Reply 32
Original post by jj193

Have the same problem , I keep thinking its my mentality .
I remeber reading a question like "Will you stay after work , to get your work completed ?" I answered "yes".Yet , I know many people who got in with a no. It is unlikely that a single question decided my outcome , but it seems they don't like people who are too keen to work .
Reply 33
Original post by rbnphlp
Have the same problem , I keep thinking its my mentality .
I remeber reading a question like "Will you stay after work , to get your work completed ?" I answered "yes".Yet , I know many people who got in with a no. It is unlikely that a single question decided my outcome , but it seems they don't like people who are too keen to work .

this exactly.

I remember in first year, thinking i'll get a job dead easy if I could convince others i'm hard-working and intelligent. Then my friend, who is older and more experienced, told me that it doesn't work like that. Whoever interviews you, is not going to be so pleased interviewing an intelligent and hard working person because if they are to share the same office you will make him and others look bad in comparison. That someone fits such a criteria is always disputable, but you get my jist. It sounds really really ridiculous. I hope it is.

KPMG have dated offices anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Wait, why have KPMG closed everything apart from actuarial?!
Reply 35
Does anyone know when KPMG open up their internships for Management Consulting? I know PwC open theirs up in early september but was wondering when KPMG do?
Reply 36
Does anyone know about any accounting internships to get some experience for this summer for a student who has just finished college ?
Reply 37
Original post by deepu05
Does anyone know about any accounting internships to get some experience for this summer for a student who has just finished college ?

oi make your own thread!
Reply 38
Original post by deepu05

but try calling local firms and asking. Low success rate but I got two this way including one with RSM Tenon! Worth noting I rung about 50 firms across EC3!
Original post by deepu05

You wont get an internship with anyone, ask for work experience or some sort of unpaid work, maybe shadowing or something. Just so long as you can get in there for a brief period and put it on your CV, they wont want to pay you for anything because you cant really bring much to them. Youll have more luck at small local offices then anywhere else as opposed to looking at the biggest firms but its worth asking everywhere, you have nothing to lose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending