The Student Room Group

I've ruined everything.

Sorry for the dramatic title, but it's how I am feeling. A complete failure!

In 2004 I started a degree course, passed year 1, and on returning to year 2 my circumstances were too difficult to continue, I had a child and he had started school, I had to commute daily to Uni in a two hour journey, so getting him to school, and getting to uni on time became impossible, no childminder could have him that early, I informed my tutors of this and left - planning to return the next year. I return the next year and everything is going smoothly, until I became pregnant (I know, glutton for punishment, right?) I suffered from SPD, a pelvic disorder due to the pregnancy which left me virtually unable to walk. I had to leave uni. I didn't think they would welcome me back so I left it for good...until now. Second child now 4 years old, and circumstances have changed greatly in my favour to continue learning.

That is, of course, until I learned that I was unable to be financed for any further course due to my pathetic first attempt. I have one year of funding left, but it will only be for year 3 of any course I undertake. If I apply for compelling circumstances, I feel they will say 'no'.

Is it impossible to start a course where you left off, so long down the line, since you passed the first year? I'm guessing this is a no. I am feeling completely useless at this point. I have ruined our chances at a stable life and have no alternative. My partner left college so that I could continue learning and he is now stuck in a dead end job on the brink of redundancy. Funding the course myself is an absolute impossibility, I could never have that kind of money.

If you ever find yourself in a situation like me, debating leaving university- Please, please don't do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending