Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will this MacBook be slow? (spec included)

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt2k8)
    Depending on how heavy this photoshop usage is, you should be absolutely fine. Despite what earlier posters would like you to believe, you don't need 4gb of RAM and a quad core to browse the internet/ use office programs.
    I don't believe anyone's said that so far, just that a six year old computer will not be particularly enjoyable to use.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt2k8)
    Depending on how heavy this photoshop usage is, you should be absolutely fine. Despite what earlier posters would like you to believe, you don't need 4gb of RAM and a quad core to browse the internet/ use office programs.
    So would you say it would be fairly fast and efficient?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I think I'm just going to go for it as I really want a MacBook and I've watched some start ups and opening applications etc on YouTube and it seems pretty fast. I only really want to use MS office, safari, mail, iChat, and as I said occasionally photoshop.

Thanks

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It will likely be painfully slow. You'd be better of spending an extra £100 and getting a low end refurbished Windows laptop.

This is coming from a Mac user.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    It will likely be painfully slow. You'd be better of spending an extra £100 and getting a low end refurbished Windows laptop.

This is coming from a Mac user.
    But some start ups and opening of applications on YouTube look really fast?

• 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anthonyfl)
    But some start ups and opening of applications on YouTube look really fast?

Links?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So would you say it would be fairly fast and efficient?

Yes, and it'd almost definitely be faster than some new ~£350 acer or whatever laptop.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't bought it, here's another one though

2.26GHz processor
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB Ram
    250GB Hard Drive
    Running snow leopard

Will this be a lot better? It is half as old after all..

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have a 2007 Macbook which is somewhere in-between the specs of the 2 you have posted (2.2 GHz dual core processor, 4GB ram, 120Gb hard drive, running Lion) and it's verrrrrry slow for most things. It's ok for web browsing but struggles with any large files, iTunes, Photoshop etc and takes a long time to open almost any program. (and hence why I'm waiting for my new 15" Retina MBP to be delivered next week).

I certainly wouldn't buy the first one, and probably not the second either although it is better but the 2GB ram would still be fairly crippling I would imagine considering mine struggles at 4GB.

Is there a particular reason you're looking at buying these two? Or why you're buying a Mac? Since I think you'd be better looking at the Apple refurb store which has better and newer models. Or buy a cheaper but new Windows machine, since although I completely love my Mac (and would never buy a Windows machine unless absolutely necessary), I'd rather have a new fully functioning Windows machine than a struggling 5 year old Mac.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouboutinLove)
    I have a 2007 Macbook which is somewhere in-between the specs of the 2 you have posted (2.2 GHz dual core processor, 4GB ram, 120Gb hard drive, running Lion) and it's verrrrrry slow for most things. It's ok for web browsing but struggles with any large files, iTunes, Photoshop etc and takes a long time to open almost any program. (and hence why I'm waiting for my new 15" Retina MBP to be delivered next week).

I certainly wouldn't buy the first one, and probably not the second either although it is better but the 2GB ram would still be fairly crippling I would imagine considering mine struggles at 4GB.

Is there a particular reason you're looking at buying these two? Or why you're buying a Mac? Since I think you'd be better looking at the Apple refurb store which has better and newer models. Or buy a cheaper but new Windows machine, since although I completely love my Mac (and would never buy a Windows machine unless absolutely necessary), I'd rather have a new fully functioning Windows machine than a struggling 5 year old Mac.
    Right, I have bought a 2009 mac, 2.13GHz, 2GB Ram. Maybe you're 2007 is slow as to upgrade to lion ideally you should have snow leopard

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ^ I used to run it on Snow Leopard, Lion doesn't make any difference to the speed.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of upgrading the ram to 4gb, it seems to cost about £38

• 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of upgrading the ram to 4gb, it seems to cost about £38

As I said before, RAM won't make any real difference to speed, it will just mean you can do more stuff at a time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's the same machine I'm using now and it depends on your usage. The 2GB of RAM is limiting; it's quite rare that I have more than about 200mb free even when just web surfing. Snow Leopard won't make the machine that slow but Lion will (I downgraded from Lion because it made the machine basically unusable). For basic web surfing and word processing it should be fine, but I want to run virtual machines and do reasonably computer hardware consuming tasks for which the machine does fall short. The best upgrade to improve the speed of the machine would be a cheap SSD, you can get a 120GB SSD for around £60-70 now which will give a huge increase in speed over the current mechanical 5400RPM drive.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got MacBook late 2006, the black one (limited). 1 GB Ram, ~500 GB HDD, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2GHz. Works perfectly fine
    Snow Leopard OSX
    Although, not suitable for games.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaniStark7)
    I got MacBook late 2006, the black one (limited). 1 GB Ram, ~500 GB HDD, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2GHz. Works perfectly fine
    Snow Leopard OSX
    Although, not suitable for games.
    Well if yours works perfectly then I'm sure my 2009 2.13GHz 2GB Ram (and possible 4GB) should work perfectly fine

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My early 2008 macbook 2.4ghz 4GB (upgraded) still runs great - minor stuff like browsing is excellent, Photoshop runs well. I'm a Photography student so I'm finding it starts to lag when I've got several large photos open or if I'm trying to run Photoshop and Lightroom at the same time, but its much better since I upgraded the ram from 2gb to 4. I think this machine is better than a new windows one my boyfriend bought recently - apart from the graphics card.

Of course if you're buying second hand the newer the better but these machines last.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 5, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.