The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Biomedical Sciences/Life Sciences at Manchester?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by oddsox
Easiest way is to quote as normal, copy and paste the quote within the reply box, then delete the text you don't want in each one.

Thanks to you I can do it now :biggrin:

Original post by oddsox
And sure :smile:

I'll send pm you, please send me the manchester modules :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by JadeJenz
OK, thank you for explaining this! :smile:

Yeah, I don't think I dare to take anatomical sciences! Haha. Anyway, thanks a lot! :biggrin:

Your welcome :smile: If you need any more help or information just let me know. Good luck with everything !
Reply 22
As a biomed doing industrial experience, I thought it'd be worth posting. You'd be surprised how many people don't apply for placements, so don't rule out not getting one, despite how much you get lectured about competitiveness. I'm currently sorting everything so that I can spend next year in the Gambia working on Malaria - there were 3 placements and only two applicants, so I didn't even have to interview. A lot of people don't apply as they don't feel suited enough to the placement or feel it will automatically go to someone with a higher grade, or simply aren't prepared to commit such a long time in such a different environment. By all means, try for a placement - worst comes to worst you don't get one and just progress into final year, at least you tried :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by K.ChosenOne
Your welcome :smile: If you need any more help or information just let me know. Good luck with everything !

Thanks!I'll let you know If I have anymore questions :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by ilex_
As a biomed doing industrial experience, I thought it'd be worth posting. You'd be surprised how many people don't apply for placements, so don't rule out not getting one, despite how much you get lectured about competitiveness. I'm currently sorting everything so that I can spend next year in the Gambia working on Malaria - there were 3 placements and only two applicants, so I didn't even have to interview. A lot of people don't apply as they don't feel suited enough to the placement or feel it will automatically go to someone with a higher grade, or simply aren't prepared to commit such a long time in such a different environment. By all means, try for a placement - worst comes to worst you don't get one and just progress into final year, at least you tried :smile:

Hello there :smile: Thanks for the info. Does what you study in first, second and final year relate to each other? I was told by someone that some students took one year out for placement and ended up messing their final year grades, someone advised me not to go for posting :/ Will the placement affect the final year in any ways?

Also, do all students across the Faculty of Life Sciences apply to the same placement vacancies ie do biomed students compete with biochem students for example?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
There are links. In first year everyone studies virtually the same core modules, with some degrees allowing a few optional choice. This mainly to get everyone up to speed and at the same place in regards to a topic, as you find that people have covered different things depending on which exam board they sat. As a biomed, it is worth paying attention in this year as to what interests you - if you find that a lot of your interests can be allied to a different degree, eg biochemistry, it is worth looking at switching.

As a biomed in second year, ALL your modules are optional. There are three 'groups' of modules, and you have to take a minimum of two from each (with an extra 2 completely optional ones), but what you choose within those groups is completely up to you. You'll find that some modules have pre-requisites, which means unless you took a module relevant to it in first year or your first semester of second year you can't take it - so in that way they do relate a lot to each other. In third year, a lot of the modules are 'Advanced' forms - so if you took Immunology in second year you can then take Advanced Immunology in third year and so on. As well as pre-requisites, there are co-requisites, where modules that link in to each other and aid understanding of each other during the same semester are listed. Co-requisites are sometimes compulsory but usually only recommended.

In terms of messing up their final grades, I can't help you with that. I've attended talks about placments (which are obviously going to highlight the good, not bad parts), and was told that on average, there is an improvement in grades because working at the placement gives you more of a work ethic, or even ties in to some of what you're studying. It shouldn't really affect your final year as you are expected to remember work from your previous 2 years regardless (you have a synaptic paper as part of your examination).

This is how stuff is going now, I know there have been debates within the faculty as to whether or not first year should count as well as tutorial marks (as they both currently don't), so things may be a little tweaked when you get there, but this is the basics :smile: Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Reply 26
Original post by ilex_
There are links. In first year everyone studies virtually the same core modules, with some degrees allowing a few optional choice. This mainly to get everyone up to speed and at the same place in regards to a topic, as you find that people have covered different things depending on which exam board they sat. As a biomed, it is worth paying attention in this year as to what interests you - if you find that a lot of your interests can be allied to a different degree, eg biochemistry, it is worth looking at switching.

As a biomed in second year, ALL your modules are optional. There are three 'groups' of modules, and you have to take a minimum of two from each (with an extra 2 completely optional ones), but what you choose within those groups is completely up to you. You'll find that some modules have pre-requisites, which means unless you took a module relevant to it in first year or your first semester of second year you can't take it - so in that way they do relate a lot to each other. In third year, a lot of the modules are 'Advanced' forms - so if you took Immunology in second year you can then take Advanced Immunology in third year and so on. As well as pre-requisites, there are co-requisites, where modules that link in to each other and aid understanding of each other during the same semester are listed. Co-requisites are sometimes compulsory but usually only recommended.

In terms of messing up their final grades, I can't help you with that. I've attended talks about placments (which are obviously going to highlight the good, not bad parts), and was told that on average, there is an improvement in grades because working at the placement gives you more of a work ethic, or even ties in to some of what you're studying. It shouldn't really affect your final year as you are expected to remember work from your previous 2 years regardless (you have a synaptic paper as part of your examination).

This is how stuff is going now, I know there have been debates within the faculty as to whether or not first year should count as well as tutorial marks (as they both currently don't), so things may be a little tweaked when you get there, but this is the basics :smile: Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Thank you for the valuable info :smile:
May I ask what is a synaptic paper?

Original post by ilex_
on average, there is an improvement in grades because working at the placement gives you more of a work ethic, or even ties in to some of what you're studying.

This makes sense. What kind of placements do students usually go for? Lab-based?

Regarding tutorial, isn't it an informal discussion or so?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending