The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teatania
the Jon Centre took her interests and skills into consideration and actually asked her where she'd like to do her placement.

I was asked this too. I was told they have a placement; but it's a charity shop. 14 months later, I'm still there.
Original post by ufo2012
The good British people who have worked their *** off at uni to get where they want to be, do not want to be lumbered with a minimum wage, dirty job such as a dustman or working behind a fast food counter.

They worked so that they would be better than that, so lowering themselves to that would be wrong.

I don't think it would be wrong, yes they have worked hard to get the qualification(s) that they wanted and they deserve it but just because they have a degree it does not mean that they shouldn't go and work at a fast food restaurant so they can pay their bills and keep their house! I personally would do any job as long as it got me money and allowed me to keep a roof over my head. surely you would do the same?
Original post by Martyn*
http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/07/03/lazy-jobseekers-may-lose-benefits-for-three-years/

This will be open to abuse.

I already know of one person who had his benefits stopped (although not for three years but for one month) because he was not doing enough to look for work. The man in question did not fail to attend any of his appointments, but believed that it was pointless looking for jobs that were not there, and failed to fill-in his job application tracker with jobs he applied for.

Yesterday my right-wing A4E advisor sternly warned me that the rate at which I was applying for jobs has decreased over the months and said I must try harder or face sanctions. I spend 3 days per week at that place looking for jobs and applying for them. And talking about politics is off the cards.

In my view, right wing Tories seem to be kicking the wrong people. Unemployed people are already having a tough time, and these Tories would prefer to see them shackled to a rock and whipped if they don't do as they are told.

I'm a little bit sceptical about your claims as I know for a fact you've simply made up oh so convenient anecdotes in the past. As it stands anyway, if your friend isn't looking for work because he believes there are no jobs out there, then he didn't simply not fill out his job tracker, he didn't apply for work period did he? That's ignoring the fact that there are always dozens of new local jobs advertised on the jobcentre website every day, so there's no excuse for at least not applying for something.
Reply 303
Original post by pol pot noodles
I'm a little bit sceptical about your claims as I know for a fact you've simply made up oh so convenient anecdotes in the past. As it stands anyway, if your friend isn't looking for work because he believes there are no jobs out there, then he didn't simply not fill out his job tracker, he didn't apply for work period did he? That's ignoring the fact that there are always dozens of new local jobs advertised on the jobcentre website every day, so there's no excuse for at least not applying for something.

I'm incapabale of making up anecdotes, unless I state that I am doing it.

Oh yes, there are always new local jobs advertised, tinker, soldier, sailor, butcher, fireman, candlestick maker, astronaut.
Original post by Martyn*
I'm incapabale of making up anecdotes, unless I state that I am doing it.

Oh yes, there are always new local jobs advertised, tinker, soldier, sailor, butcher, fireman, candlestick maker, astronaut.

Well if you say so :rolleyes:
I remember a thread you started a while back trying to sully the name of Lord Mountbatten, claiming he had once given the men under his command leave, then tried to have them shot for going AWOL. You provided no actual evidence, instead saying you had three independent witnesses you had interviewed who all collaborated the story. In short, you were blatantly talking out of your arse.
And yes, there are new local being advertised. You claimed that there were none. Obviously once again you are patently exaggerating to suit your own agenda, but even if that is the case then apply to be a fireman, butcher, soldier etc.
Reply 305
I remember a thread you started a while back trying to sully the name of Lord Mountbatten, claiming he had once given the men under his command leave, then tried to have them shot for going AWOL. You provided no actual evidence, instead saying you had three independent witnesses you had interviewed who all collaborated the story. In short, you were blatantly talking out of your arse.
And yes, there are new local being advertised. You claimed that there were none. Obviously once again you are patently exaggerating to suit your own agenda, but even if that is the case then apply to be a fireman, butcher, soldier etc.

I have no reason to doubt his sincerity when he told me the story. They had the men paint walls as an exercise, and once they had finished they painted them again and again and again. And the penalty for going AWOL in WW2 was the firing line. Of course, there is evidence! Apart from a jail sentence, execution was what was done if you deserted you muppet!

The British Empire executed approximately 346 Commonwealth soldiers during WWI. These individuals were convicted of either desertion, cowardice in the face of the enemy (refusing an order to attack), striking an officer, or sleeping on guard duty.

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/24280/Military-executions-in-WWI-and-WWII

It also happened to British soldiers as well. I have no reason to doubt my friend; I've seen his medals and the photographs.
(edited 10 years ago)
People shouldnt be sitting on the social but sometimes we aint got no choice

Martyn likes to make excuses when it comes to writing off jobs as unsuitable in some way.
Original post by Martyn*
I have no reason to doubt his sincerity when he told me the story. They had the men paint walls as an exercise, and once they had finished they painted them again and again and again. And the penalty for going AWOL in WW2 was the firing line. Of course, there is evidence! Apart from a jail sentence, execution was what was done if you deserted you muppet!

The British Empire executed approximately 346 Commonwealth soldiers during WWI. These individuals were convicted of either desertion, cowardice in the face of the enemy (refusing an order to attack), striking an officer, or sleeping on guard duty.

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/24280/Military-executions-in-WWI-and-WWII

It also happened to British soldiers as well. I have no reason to doubt my friend; I've seen his medals and the photographs.

If Lord frickin' Mountbatten, one of our most high profile war heros, gave his men leave then tried to have them shot during one of the most documented wars of all time, there would be some actual evidence for that. But surprise suprise, an extensive internet search on my part has found nothing on the matter. The only 'evidence' is your clearly made up anecdote from someone who probably doesn't exist.
And actually, muppet, the only crime that carried death during WW2 was mutiny. Desertion was only punishable by death during the Great War, so that makes your claim even more dubious than it already was.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 309
I'm currently sat on ESA. I don't have to do anything for that.
The problem with this idea is that there's a limit to which you can create jobs, even in a boom. As Milton Friedman put it, in a capitalist economy there is a 'natural rate of unemployment'. During all the boom years, unemployment never went below about 5-6%. Why do people think that if you force someone to need a job then they'll magically be able to find one?

It's just going to result in more people wasting time and effort looking for non-existent jobs for no reason.
If Lord frickin' Mountbatten, one of our most high profile war heros, gave his men leave then tried to have them shot during one of the most documented wars of all time, there would be some actual evidence for that. But surprise suprise, an extensive internet search on my part has found nothing on the matter. The only 'evidence' is your clearly made up anecdote from someone who probably doesn't exist.
And actually, muppet, the only crime that carried death during WW2 was mutiny. Desertion was only punishable by death during the Great War, so that makes your claim even more dubious than it already was.

There were 4 servicemen executed during or immediately WWII other than for murder.

Three were colonial soldiers from Ceylon who were the ringleaders of the Cocos Islands mutiny which was designed to deliver those islands to the Japanese. This took place in early 1942 in the Indian Ocean at a time when Mountbatten was in Britain commanding Combined Operations (essentially seaborne military raids) against Germany. They were executed for mutiny.

The other was a soldier who spied for Italy and then deserted and attempted to obtain information from British POWs on behalf of Italy and Germany. He was caught and executed for treachery just after the end of the war.
Original post by Musickid754
I agree with you about the fact that it would make the job seekers life harder than it already is and if the government are going to cut job seekers benefits then it shouldn't be for so long. However, I think that if the government cut the job seekers benefits for a few months then it would encourage them to try a bit harder to find a job because a lot of people on these benefits take advantage of them and don't even try to find a job. I also agree with you that there are not much jobs available now but I can tell you why, the reason there are not many jobs now and the foreign people are taking them all is because British people are being too picky about the jobs they are offered either because they don't pay a high salary or because they are seen as "Dirty Jobs" such as a dustman or working behind a fast food counter. I think that if a job gets you some money so you are able to pay your collage fees, bill ect then it is worth taking no matter what it is.

I actually think this is a less obvious choice than it first appears. I am assuming by foreign you mean people who have come to the UK as 1st generation and have family members abroad and have much greater ties with their country of origin. If this is the case there is nothing stopping them taking a 'dirty' job here at minimum wage (or below, which does happen all the time even though it is illegal) and sending the majority of the money back home where it will have a much higher value. That is a strong motivation which British born people with no families abroad do not have.

Also, immigrants tend to congregate in the same areas in cities the UK and there is a sense of community for them because of either their shared religion or culture. Whereas if you are poor and white British, well lets face it a 'chav' in the UK there is no community just anger and resentment and stigma. There is not much motivation to work when you have no sense of place in society and you know you can't really better yourself. It isn't even a conscious choice for many anymore. Fairly recent immigrants with a shared culture use each other as a basis for comparison and comparative to each other the wealth divide is less than between non-immigrants. Motivation is a complex issue and simply saying that people should take any job they can get is not particularly useful. Suffice to say there is very little pride left among the so-called 'working class' now and that is not something which is going to come back.

I personally think happiness and motivation is very strongly linked to comparison to others. If the uber rich live unthinkably different lives to the most impoverished in society then I think unhappiness results no matter what the actual standards are. Even if standards improve for everyone overall I think that if a massive divide exists between the best standards and the lowest standards (even if there has been an improvement for everyone) it is the divide that still makes people unhappy. I think I will try and find some psychological studies which look into this matter though as it is only based on a personal hunch to be fair.
Original post by Teatania
Placements are a good idea if you're on JSA long-term. Keeps you busy, builds experience and your allowance is usually more for doing it.
ClaraJayne, you sound like you had a rough time of it but that must be the luck of the draw or down to the Job Centre you are at.

A friend of mine has been on JSA for almost a year after graduating. The first six months of so were grinding. Just applying for all job going with little or no response. After a certain amount of month she had to attend an obligatory "steps to work" programme which was a bit monotonous and probably best suited to those who have been out of work for years as it went over building CVs and interview technique, but she stuck with it.
After this she was told she needed to do a work placement. But she wasn't forced into anything, the Jon Centre took her interests and skills into consideration and actually asked her where she'd like to do her placement. Obviously this is subject to location and your particular skill set, but she told the Job Centre of a production company that she'd be quite interested in. The Job Centre got the company on the phone, the agreed to interview her, she was successful and got her placement. She found out last week that they might like to keep her on permanently, even if they don't though she has that experience.

My friend may have been incredibly lucky, but the point of the matter is that Job Seeker placements shouldn't be scoffed at. If your Job Centre is any good they'll help you as much as possible and maybe your placement might lead somewhere. If you feel your being taking advantage of you are either very sensitive or there is something genuinely wrong.

out of interest, what did your friend study?
Original post by Martyn*
http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/07/03/lazy-jobseekers-may-lose-benefits-for-three-years/

This will be open to abuse.

I already know of one person who had his benefits stopped (although not for three years but for one month) because he was not doing enough to look for work. The man in question did not fail to attend any of his appointments, but believed that it was pointless looking for jobs that were not there, and failed to fill-in his job application tracker with jobs he applied for.

Yesterday my right-wing A4E advisor sternly warned me that the rate at which I was applying for jobs has decreased over the months and said I must try harder or face sanctions. I spend 3 days per week at that place looking for jobs and applying for them. And talking about politics is off the cards.

In my view, right wing Tories seem to be kicking the wrong people. Unemployed people are already having a tough time, and these Tories would prefer to see them shackled to a rock and whipped if they don't do as they are told.

Considering you get paid to look for work, you should be looking for work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, just like people who get a salary.
Reply 315
Original post by speedbird
Considering you get paid to look for work, you should be looking for work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, just like people who get a salary.

8 hours per day, 5 days per week?Am I going to get a living wage or this paltry £71 per week? £71 per week equals around 12 hours of work.

:rolleyes:
Original post by speedbird

You really have no idea do you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 317
Please don't bump old threads.

Latest

Trending

Trending