The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OU Student
You wouldn't get all those benefits. The rules for child benefit have / are changing. But only if you earn £60k per year or something.

Yes, that's fair enough, it's just an example of the number of benefits that are available, any combination of which a family may receive depending on circumstances.

If you give up the phone contract, you may have to buy yourself out of it.

Absolutely true, but if you've been unemployed for 18 months, while there is a chance it's a 24 month contract and you took it out whilst employed, there is a even greater probability that you were on benefits when you signed up to it.

So if the latter, it's not the time to be complaining that because you prioritised the phone, you can't pay for other stuff.
Original post by ufo2012
The good British people who have worked their *** off at uni to get where they want to be, do not want to be lumbered with a minimum wage, dirty job such as a dustman or working behind a fast food counter.

They worked so that they would be better than that, so lowering themselves to that would be wrong.

The people who work on the bins earn a pretty decent wage actually, it's no where near minimum wage.
Reply 102
Original post by gateshipone
The people who work on the bins earn a pretty decent wage actually, it's no where near minimum wage.

I know, I have heard of graduates applying for the job, but surprise surprise they don't get it because employers are afraid they will not stay (where have we heard this before? Nearly everywhere now).

Yep, these jobs are snapped up pretty quickly.

You can make a decent bit on the side by selling on eBay stuff that people have chucked out too, you'd be surprised what people throw away these days.
Original post by For The Love Of Giraffe
That sounds heavenly - wish I could get paid to read or walk about...
Even though three days is more than required, do you not feel bad not contributing to society or finding a way to, while receiving money for those four days of leisure as well? I know that if I didn't have a job and wasn't studying, I'd see benefits as a priviledge and would search for a job every day - only when I'm earning money myself would I take time out to have breaks for fun.

Why should people on benefits spend all their time frantically looking for a job? You aren't special because you have one, you don't have a unique right to enjoy your life which benefit claimants don't. Three days a week is fine, it's not as if a ****load of new jobs which the OP could do will appear every day and if a few do, then he'll see it when he searches for a job next unless the job is bizarrely advertised for a day or two only.
Reply 105
Original post by theonefrombrum
Why should people on benefits spend all their time frantically looking for a job? You aren't special because you have one, you don't have a unique right to enjoy your life which benefit claimants don't. Three days a week is fine, it's not as if a ****load of new jobs which the OP could do will appear every day and if a few do, then he'll see it when he searches for a job next unless the job is bizarrely advertised for a day or two only.

Frantic searching doesn't work anyway, will only land you with some **** job you don't want to be doing.
I love it how the government have managed to achieve a "divide and conquer" mission with the people of this country. The tax payers hate the tax users, and vice versa... All the while everyone is getting ****ed over. The people of this country should unite and ransack those who were directly responsible for this mess. The irony being that those people actually can afford to pay for it.

This government is using silly and irrelevant media such as this piece of news to stir hatred amongst people for no proper reason. The unemployed are not the evil doers, they are the victims. People on benefits have not ruined this country's economy, people with fat money have. Cameron is of course trying to protect them, and he knows from his good old Oxford years that NOTHING, EVER works better than divide and conquer.

Also, in the news - regarding the Barclays irresponsible banking incident: it's being considered whether they should be prosecuted?! Considered?!

Open your eyes people, seriously.
Original post by marcusfox
Suggest you give up the iPhone/iPad contract, sell the device and spend some money on catching up with the rest of your bills, perhaps you will be able to pay your printing costs then.

Quite the attention seeker, I'm almost honored that you quoted all of my posts from this tread is it a slow day for you?

Firstly the whole thing behind the CV thing was not my personal cost but the cost to others in similar situations, I am lucky enough to get free printing at college. I don't know where you go for all your printing needs but there's know place here that lets you print out CV's for 1/2p each. The closest thing to that would be the local Spar for photocopying and they want 35p per copy.

Next the issue of travel, getting to an interview has never been a problem and the travel expenses I was referring to was the Monday to Saturday costs of going places to hand out those CV's times that by 18 months which over that time period would be steep (£2.50 a day x 6 days a week x 4 weeks in the month = £60, then x that by the 18 month = £1,080) in bus money alone if I was to spend 6 days a week handing out CV as suggested.

For searching online I have signed up to Monster, Reed and total jobs and I slightly edit my CV with the every week so that it is always top of the pile as they all give the most recent CV's to people rather than all of their database.

My phone is used so that surprisingly people/college/Job center/potential employers can contact me, yes I have an iPhone which was given to me when my brother upgraded his. You say I should "give up the iPhone/iPad contract." You obviously fail to grasp the concept of a contract and if you must know I have a sim only contract which is being paid for by my brother until I start uni.

You like everyone to know your opinion in a matter that you need to experience before you know how easy/hard it is to be unemployed, especially in this current climate.

And finally just in case you're wondering why its taken me so long to reply, today I've been sorting out all my stuff to sell so that I can get enough money together for a deposit for a house in Glasgow.

So as you can see you know absolutely nothing about me or my situation which I am well in control of now, I really do hope you never have to rely on handouts because it really is one of the most depressing soul destroying things you can do.
Original post by theonefrombrum

Unfortunately this is becoming more and more common due to the number of applicants per job being high. A lot of companies can't handle the numbers so take down their job listings quickly. That's kinda why you should look daily (except Sunday). If you don't look every day there's a good chance you'll miss out on a job you could apply for.

It sucks, but you really do need to search daily if you want to have a chance of getting a job.
Original post by Shomberlon
Quite the attention seeker, I'm almost honored that you quoted all of my posts from this tread is it a slow day for you?

Firstly the whole thing behind the CV thing was not my personal cost but the cost to others in similar situations, I am lucky enough to get free printing at college. I don't know where you go for all your printing needs but there's know place here that lets you print out CV's for 1/2p each. The closest thing to that would be the local Spar for photocopying and they want 35p per copy.

The library must be cheaper, surely? Actually, it might be cheaper to buy a printer and paper.

Next the issue of travel, getting to an interview has never been a problem and the travel expenses I was referring to was the Monday to Saturday costs of going places to hand out those CV's times that by 18 months which over that time period would be steep (£2.50 a day x 6 days a week x 4 weeks in the month = £60, then x that by the 18 month = £1,080) in bus money alone if I was to spend 6 days a week handing out CV as suggested.

Weekly / monthly tickets would be cheaper, no?

I may have missed a post or 2 when reading, but I don't think anyone has suggested you hand out CV's daily...that would be ridiculous. I think what would be considered fair would be 1 day a week handing out CV's (or maybe twice a month depending on where you live) and the rest of your week focus on looking online, in papers, cold calling companies etc.
The library must be cheaper, surely? Actually, it might be cheaper to buy a printer and paper.

Weekly / monthly tickets would be cheaper, no?

Unfortunately not, they've just changed the pricing on the tickets. The monthly ticket is about £19 (for all buses) now I think. Where as for my specific rout they've changed it to £2.50 and as thats the only bus id use it actually works out cheaper.
Reply 112
If you dont apply for the 3 jobs a week (or whatever the going amount is these days) that the job centre ask you to do in order to get JSA money then you shouldnt get it.
I was on JSA for a few months between finishing my postgrad and finding a job and I was applying for all jobs in the area, till jobs in Asda, warehouse jobs for clothes shops etc and getting turned down for being overqualified.
Even started leaving my higher education off my CV to stand a better chance of getting an interview.
Reply 113
It always baffles me when people talk about making people work for benefits, which would see people being forced to work for a little over a pound an hour. Any work should be paid at least minimum wage, it's saddening that some people would actually see fellow citizens forced into slave labour.

The fact of the matter is, there simply isn't enough jobs for everybody at the moment. It'd be perfectly understandable to be cracking down if there were, but there isn't. Trust good ol' Dave to create a nice distraction though, far easier to hate on the vulnerable and the unemployed than do something productive like close them tax loopholes his donors exploit. :rolleyes:
I may have missed a post or 2 when reading, but I don't think anyone has suggested you hand out CV's daily...that would be ridiculous. I think what would be considered fair would be 1 day a week handing out CV's (or maybe twice a month depending on where you live) and the rest of your week focus on looking online, in papers, cold calling companies etc.

. Tbh most places I've tried to hand in a CV to recently are refusing to accept it, stating that they have enough should a vacancy arise, so that would suggest that they probably wouldn't even advertise.
I've stopped looking for work in my area now as it seems pointless, I'm now looking for part time work in Glasgow

Quite a slow day actually, come to think of it.

Well there you go then, you have access to somewhere where you can print for free. For those who don't have that luxury, or a printer, they can go to places where they will pay at most 5p per sheet at the local library. And I'm sure the jobcentre would do your printing for you.

If you have free printing, why are you complaining about the cost of printing, and as an example, highlighting one of the most ridiculously expensive places to do it?

As if you go out six days a week on special trips to employers speculatively handing out CVs. Once again, you are making stupid excuses for yourself.

I wouldn't even pay £2.50 bus fare on one day to go to an employer to speculatively hand out my CV and I doubt your Job Centre expects you to do that either.

Suppose you have a problem e-mailing it too? At most, a speculative approach to an employer should cost you no more than the cost of a stamp, with a follow up phone call.

£2.50 a day to hand out CVs? You could not make it up!

For searching online I have signed up to Monster, Reed and total jobs and I slightly edit my CV with the every week so that it is always top of the pile as they all give the most recent CV's to people rather than all of their database.

And has nothing to do with the cost of printing or travel expenses that I called you on earlier.

My phone is used so that surprisingly people/college/Job center/potential employers can contact me, yes I have an iPhone which was given to me when my brother upgraded his. You say I should "give up the iPhone/iPad contract." You obviously fail to grasp the concept of a contract and if you must know I have a sim only contract which is being paid for by my brother until I start uni.

Well then, that's a reasonable explanation for having an iPhone, although perhaps if you are struggling as much as you say you are, you should sell it and get a cheaper phone.

You like everyone to know your opinion in a matter that you need to experience before you know how easy/hard it is to be unemployed, especially in this current climate.

I didn't say it wasn't hard to be unemployed. I said it was ridiculous to be complaining about printing costs and travel expenses to interviews. And now unnecessary bus journeys to hand out CVs when there are more effective ways of achieving the same thing.

And finally just in case you're wondering why its taken me so long to reply, today I've been sorting out all my stuff to sell so that I can get enough money together for a deposit for a house in Glasgow.

Good, although this has nothing to do with what I called you on before.

So as you can see you know absolutely nothing about me or my situation which I am well in control of now, I really do hope you never have to rely on handouts because it really is one of the most depressing soul destroying things you can do.

Your individual situation is really irrelevant to the reason for this discussion, and at the risk of being repetitive, you saying that you couldn't afford printing costs or transport to interviews (or unnecessary transport costs to hand out CVs) is a little silly.
Reply 116
I've been looking for a job for about 4 months now. I currently work, but only part time. But if i lost this job for any reason, i'd probably have to rely on JSA, like a lot of you would. Its why this country has benefits. And yes, obviously, taxes are needed to pay for these plus everything else the government supplies such as the NHS and schools etc etc etc.

I look for jobs every day. Job centre plus website, reed, jobstoday, company career sites, other various job sites, in shop windows, in the papers etc etc. But no way could you spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week looking for a job. Especially where I live, when i look online for jobs tomorrow, most will be the same from today and yesterday, with no new adverts.

People on JSA and other benefits are not all lazy ********s, having kids just to get more benefits. People rely on them when they are unlucky enough to be out of work, or on a low income. I'd like to see MPs survive on minimum wage. The problem isn't benefits being too high, its wages being too low. We need a living wage, not a minimum wage.

"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society" - Anyone recognise that quote? I think it's quite fitting.

Would you rather the people on JSA and other benefits become homeless? I was homeless for a year when I was 13 with my Mum, it's not fun.
Reply 117
Those on JSA are an easy target. Why don't they get all the skivers on incapacity into work.
Original post by stayce88
If you dont apply for the 3 jobs a week (or whatever the going amount is these days) that the job centre ask you to do in order to get JSA money then you shouldnt get it.
I was on JSA for a few months between finishing my postgrad and finding a job and I was applying for all jobs in the area, till jobs in Asda, warehouse jobs for clothes shops etc and getting turned down for being overqualified.
Even started leaving my higher education off my CV to stand a better chance of getting an interview.

The minimum requirement is two 'job seeking actions' per week. You don't actually have to apply for any jobs unless it's a notified vacancy.
Original post by marcusfox
Quite a slow day actually, come to think of it.

Well there you go then, you have access to somewhere where you can print for free. For those who don't have that luxury, or a printer, they can go to places where they will pay at most 5p per sheet at the local library. And I'm sure the jobcentre would do your printing for you.

If you have free printing, why are you complaining about the cost of printing, and as an example, highlighting one of the most ridiculously expensive places to do it?

As if you go out six days a week on special trips to employers speculatively handing out CVs. Once again, you are making stupid excuses for yourself.

I wouldn't even pay £2.50 bus fare on one day to go to an employer to speculatively hand out my CV and I doubt your Job Centre expects you to do that either.

Suppose you have a problem e-mailing it too? At most, a speculative approach to an employer should cost you no more than the cost of a stamp, with a follow up phone call.

£2.50 a day to hand out CVs? You could not make it up!

And has nothing to do with the cost of printing or travel expenses that I called you on earlier.

Well then, that's a reasonable explanation for having an iPhone, although perhaps if you are struggling as much as you say you are, you should sell it and get a cheaper phone.

I didn't say it wasn't hard to be unemployed. I said it was ridiculous to be complaining about printing costs and travel expenses to interviews. And now unnecessary bus journeys to hand out CVs when there are more effective ways of achieving the same thing.

Good, although this has nothing to do with what I called you on before.

Your individual situation is really irrelevant to the reason for this discussion, and at the risk of being repetitive, you saying that you couldn't afford printing costs or transport to interviews (or unnecessary transport costs to hand out CVs) is a little silly.

Again your making out I do things when I don't, the whole thing that you decided to hijack in the first place was when the original post I was talking to said they would spend 90% of there time actively hunting for work and I just tried to put it into perspective from what they said they would do.
You'd be surprised what the job center gets you doing, at one point I had to had in 5 CV's to different employers a week and log who they were. You make assumptions about what hoops we have to jump through and pass it off as fact.
I currently have to attend an agency twice a month as well as the job center and that's been since January, so far they've not even given my CV to anyone!

Although yes I am struggling with bills im not worried as in September things will be ok and i'll be able to sort out a payment program with those I owe.

Anyway this saber rattling is pointless and we should let the tread get back on topic.

Latest

Trending

Trending