Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Benefit fraud?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I feel a friend of mine is committing benefit fraud as she claims JSA and housing benefit for a room she has with her partner in a shared house. He works 39 hours a week. Yet a friend who works 24 hours a week and lives on her own can't claim any of these? Could you tell me if this is true or not? Thanks
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think she's entitled to JSA but housing benefit sounds abut dodgy
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get housing benefits while working.

The rules state that if under 25 you need to live in a bedsit or a room in a shared house.

Now JS if she is unemployed is fine and you don't know the circumstances she put on the form. She may only be receiving a limited amount with her partners income taken into account.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Housing benefits - only 1 in 8 are unemployed http://england.shelter.org.uk/news/p...enefit_warning
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politics Student)
    You can get housing benefits while working.

The rules state that if under 25 you need to live in a bedsit or a room in a shared house.

Now JS if she is unemployed is fine and you don't know the circumstances she put on the form. She may only be receiving a limited amount with her partners income taken into account.
    Shes 23 and he is 30. She let slip a while back that if they asked, they would all say he was living in a room in the attic which is not true.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Even on minimum wage, with her partner working full-time and them only renting a room (a whole flat would be different) I would hazard a guess that they're not entitled to any means tested benefits.

She could be entitled to contributions based JSA, if she has worked and made enough National Insurance contributions in the prior tax year. Otherwise, again, her partners income would probably mean she isn't entitled to any money.

Housing benefit rules for couples mean that a couple under 35 are eligible for the 1 bedroom rate, a single person under 35 is eligible for the shared room rate.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rach [shikari])
    Shes 23 and he is 30. She let slip a while back that if they asked, they would all say he was living in a room in the attic which is not true.
    Most likely because her housing benefit would be lost in that situation until she reaches 25 then it becomes fine.

Honestly, if this person is your friend why would you report her?

It sounds like they are just getting around the rules on housing benefits for the under 25s and I can hardly blame them for that. Chances are the money supports their basic standard of living, as his job is unlikely to be able to cover rent, food and bills.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politics Student)
    Most likely because her housing benefit would be lost in that situation until she reaches 25 then it becomes fine.

Honestly, if this person is your friend why would you report her?

It sounds like they are just getting around the rules on housing benefits for the under 25s and I can hardly blame them for that. Chances are the money supports their basic standard of living, as his job is unlikely to be able to cover rent, food and bills.
    She's not just getting around any rules. She's living in a shared house, which is exactly what she's able to claim for until she's 35. The new rules for under 25s are only proposals. She is definitely committing benefit fraud if you ask me, she's living with her partner and not declaring his income. But she is a friend so I don't know that if I were in your position I'd be reporting her.

However, as someone who has had to rely on the state due to losing my job, it really irks me when people are "manipulating" the system in this way. She's exactly the sort of person that the Daily Mail gets on its high horse about and lumps us all in the same basket of scroungers!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Who has said i've reported her? I never said that!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say you did, someone else mentioned it being bad form to report a friend, I was merely agreeing with them that I probably wouldn't report a friend either.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    She may be getting contributions based JSA. Her partners income isn't taken into account for this.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    She has only ever had one job and that was for 2 months, apart from that she hasnt worked since school at aged 16 and college.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rach [shikari])
    I feel a friend of mine is committing benefit fraud as she claims JSA and housing benefit for a room she has with her partner in a shared house. He works 39 hours a week. Yet a friend who works 24 hours a week and lives on her own can't claim any of these? Could you tell me if this is true or not? Thanks
    Well unless you plan on informing the authorities, and thus telling on your 'friend', there's not much point in discussing it.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Use this calculator, typing in her circumstances as best you can, and bear in mind that you may be wrong about some of her circumstances

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx

But is this worth ending a friendship over?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.