The Student Room Group

MSc Financial Management vs MSc in Finance/Finance & Investment (at Durham),plz help!

Hi everyone!

I'm a prospective Swedish postgrad student at Durham, and really happy to be! I have been accepted to the MSc in Management (Finance), but now I have started to become worried about whether or not I should have chosen MSc in Finance or MSc in Finance & Investment instead. I'm considering applying for a change over to one of the two (I think I would be able to get in, granted that they have any spots left).

Just a week or two ago I saw that the MSc in Finance & Investment got ranked 25th on the new FT Pre-experience Finance Masters ranking for 2012, which is obviously very good. However the Management MScs at Durham was ranked 59th for 2011, which also obviously very good (although there's no telling with FT about what the 2012 rankings will look like). Moreover, if I want to pursue a career in Investment Banking, how much better would a Finance Master serve me than a Financial Management master? I.e., in order to land a IB-job in the future, would I be a lot better off taking the Finance & Investment than the Financial Managment master? Or do they pretty much have the same weight? Furthermore, what benefits do I get from taking a Management master over a Finance master? Would it be easier getting jobs at non-IB-institutions (read: companies)?

Please, anyone who has taken either of these Masters, are about to, or simply have good insight into what seperates a Finance MSc from a Fin. Mgmt MSc (and what benefits I get from each of them), I'd be extremely grateful if you could help me out! Is it worth applying for a change?

Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Ask the school to put you in contact with people that have graduated from both programmes. Compare their experiences and the jobs they have found upon graduation and ask a lot about what their classmates are doing right know.
Pick the programme in which the people are working on roles more interesting to you in the long term.
Reply 2
That's a good idea, I'll try that, thanks! Meanwhile, does anyone here have any experience/knowledge about how attractive Finance Masters and Fin. Management Masters are respectively for employers? What, in general, separates Fin. and Fin. Management masters in terms of landing IB jobs etc etc (not necessarily the Durham ones)? Anyone? Would appreciate any help a bunch.
Reply 3
Bump. Anyone, is it worth applying for a switch over to a pure Finance MSc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending