The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Graduation day 13th July 2012

Do we wear suits or just smart/casual wear under our robes? And does anyone know how long it lasts for? I'm quite nervous about it.
Formal wear is required, dark clothing and preferably a buttoned shirt/blouse as that give somewhere to attach some part of the robes. Its all detailed in the PDF that was sent around a few weeks ago (if you can't find it I'll see if I can dig it out) .

Don't worry about it! Enjoy your day and take it as it comes. I have a feeling it'll be pretty boring (my graduation is Thursday morning btw)! The ceremony itself should last between 1:15 and 1:30hrs, depending on how many people are at your ceremony. Are you the morning or afternoon ceremony? I think Friday morning is for BAM so will be quite big,

Everything is detailed in the PDF but do let me know if you have any other questions.

Out of interest have your guest tickets arrived yet? I might give the box office a call tomorrow as mine haven't.

Posted from The Student Room app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Ok, I have a grey suit so that'll do. I havn't had a PDF aabout it! Would you be able to forward yours to me please? Mine is Friday afternoon. Do we put our robes on when we collect them from uni and walk to the town hall in them?

I havn't hadmy guet tickets either, I'll probably give them a ring tomorrow too.

Good luck with your day!
Reply 3
Yes you do, it's lot easier to do that. You could also get the bus on campus if they're doing it this year.

Don't be nervous! It's actually quite boring in parts.
Reply 4
Thanks for the info :smile: I've just received the PDF as well. X
Glad you received todays PDF, I believe its identical to the previous one, either way it covers everything :-) . I believe we collect our robes, then put them on whilst waiting at the town hall...

Posted from The Student Room app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Reply 6
Last year everyone put them on on campus. It's a bit easier, especially as they emphasise you get to the town hall promptly.
Reply 7
I guess I'll just follow the crowds lol. They havn't said how we go up, I guess we are all sat in order of what we got and then called up in those batches..
Reply 8
It's alphabetical and by course :smile:
Reply 9
Oh right. Do we wait near the stage in groups and walk up one by one when called. I'm surprised they havn't told us any of this before.
Yep exactly. It is a bit confusing!! I got really confused as to why I wasn't given my certificate on stage and walked off wondering if I'd done something wrong. Went through this room and out again and they were handing them out to everyone as they went past.
Reply 11
Oh right so you went up to collect it, then walked off stage into another room where you recorded your actual certificate, or did U sit back down again and collect the certificate after the ceremony? I'm surprised noone else is asking these questions but maybe I'm just worrying too much lol xx
Yeah, I went up on stage to shake hands with the dean and then went off into another room where I got it. Nah, it's just not very clear!
Reply 13
Thanks! :smile: one more question haha then I'll go away :smile: do you know what paper publishes all of the Birmingham uni's results and when? Thanks a lot for all your help on here!
I don't unfortunately. Hopefully someone else knows the answer to that one.
A list of graduands was available in today's Birmingham Mail for the ceremonies today. It's available from the foyer in the main building at the cover price of 47p.

Quick Reply

Latest