The Student Room Group

Do you think I'll win this?

I've been harassed by an ex-student from uni for the past 4 years and it has made me ill so that I never sat 5 of my exams. Combined with operations and this, I have managed to miss the same exams twice. My department, who know about my harasser and my operations won't allow me a third try (it says in the Uni regs that I'm allowed a third attempt) so I've gone to appeal and have since been diagnosed with severe anxiety, severe depression and PTSD so have applied with new extenuating circumstances. I have to also revise for exams that I might bit be getting because apparently they can spring them on you if you win an appeal. I'm so demotivated about this, do you think I have a good chance of winning?
You were harassed in uni?

That's new to me.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
I'd speak to someone from your student union if you haven't already - they should be able to help you out, make sure you're making the best case for yourself and everything. Also, remember that legally your uni has to make reasonable allowances for disabilities, which your mental illnesses should count as. Hope it works out for you. :smile:
Reply 3
tty
OP
I've spoken to my student union and I've submitted my appeal (along with something like 19 pieces of evidence). I don't know why, but I feel like I've got no confidence on winning! The advisor at the student union couldn't even figure out what they'd done and what their reasoning was!

What the exam board have decided is quite strange. I was five exams from finishing yet they scrapped my fourth year and awarded me my BSc. I gave evidence for the exams I missed too. They accepted my extenuating circumstances and yet asked me to withdraw.

We're allowed an extra two years to finish our degrees. I've not even come to the end of that limit and the uni regs say that we're allowed "three attempts on anyone exam before being asked to withdraw". Not entirely sure what was going through my exam board's mind. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by tty
I've spoken to my student union and I've submitted my appeal (along with something like 19 pieces of evidence). I don't know why, but I feel like I've got no confidence on winning! The advisor at the student union couldn't even figure out what they'd done and what their reasoning was!

What the exam board have decided is quite strange. I was five exams from finishing yet they scrapped my fourth year and awarded me my BSc. I gave evidence for the exams I missed too. They accepted my extenuating circumstances and yet asked me to withdraw.

We're allowed an extra two years to finish our degrees. I've not even come to the end of that limit and the uni regs say that we're allowed "three attempts on anyone exam before being asked to withdraw". Not entirely sure what was going through my exam board's mind. :frown:

Glad that you've got the advisor on your side. :smile: From what you've said it does sound like your exam board have made a bizarre decision - normally I've found that unis are really understanding about mental health problems (I've had a lot of problems with depression, and my uni [Manchester] have let me have a couple of years off, come back part-time, have extensions for essays and all kinds of stuff, so I'm really surprised at your department's attitude). Another thing I've just thought of is are you registered with your Disability Support Office? They're supposed to help you out in this kind of situation too.

Also, if you want some friendly support apart from this, I recommend TSR's mental health support society. It's really helped me out in the past, everybody's really friendly and you can often find somebody who's been through the same stuff as you.
Reply 5
tty
OP
They weren't aware of my depression - since, to be honest, it was something that was building up and I didn't seem to realise until 3 years later! I have submitted it as new extenuating circumstances though.

The chair of my exam board called me and said that the decision was unfair and that I should appeal. The harassment thing is so complicated as staff from my department have been getting involved and basically winding this guy up (which has caused him to break his restraining order). I mentioned this, but put it in the nice way to not rile the exam board!

Thank you for your advice...haven't been able to sleep probably or stop worrying since I found out! :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending