Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Walking...

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if walking 7km (4.35 miles) in just under an hour every night sufficient exercise to lose weight?

Thanks!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyJ)
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if walking 7km (4.35 miles) in just under an hour every night sufficient exercise to lose weight?

Thanks!
    To lose weight you need to burn more calories than you consume. It is possible to lose weight without exercising at all, although it is healthier to combine a good eating plan with a good exercise regime.

The heavier you are, the more calories exercise will burn so if you are very overweight then just a small calorie deficit and walking will be enough to lose a good deal of fat. However once you start getting lighter the amount of calories you need will change so you will either have to exercise more intensely and frequently or eat less to lose weight.

Please read the fitness FAQ (in my sig) for more information.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Losing weight is simple you got to burn off more calories in the day than you have taken in. Walking that much is great but just make sure you dont stuff yourself with food.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyJ)
    Hi guys,

Thanks!
    Nice speed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Nice speed.
    Ha, thanks. I walk fast naturally.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tackla)
    Losing weight is simple you got to burn off more calories in the day than you have taken in. Walking that much is great but just make sure you dont stuff yourself with food.
    Cool, thanks!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love walking!
    I prefer walking to jogging. Although jogging apparently burns more fat.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    To lose weight you need to burn more calories than you consume. It is possible to lose weight without exercising at all, although it is healthier to combine a good eating plan with a good exercise regime.

The heavier you are, the more calories exercise will burn so if you are very overweight then just a small calorie deficit and walking will be enough to lose a good deal of fat. However once you start getting lighter the amount of calories you need will change so you will either have to exercise more intensely and frequently or eat less to lose weight.

Please read the fitness FAQ (in my sig) for more information.
    Ah, I'll check out the FAQ. Thanks for the help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Walk in the morning with an empty stomach! get your heart rate pumping which will result in a higher metabolism which will reslut in loosing weight alot faster.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    4.3miles in 60mins? thats too slow. try 45 to 50mins. also do it on an empty stomach
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazynoble)
    Walk in the morning with an empty stomach! get your heart rate pumping which will result in a higher metabolism which will reslut in loosing weight alot faster.
    Myth.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are fairly average sized then you are looking at about 400 calories burnt doing that. So it's a worthwhile choice of exercise and you'll loose weight so long as the diet is right
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Myth.
    What's a myth?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's a myth?
    All of what you said earlier:

Exercising before breakfast does not elevate your metabolism nor does walking to a significant degree because it is too low an intensity exercise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smd4std)
    4.3miles in 60mins? thats too slow. try 45 to 50mins. also do it on an empty stomach
    It's actually slightly under an hour, like I said in the original post.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 5, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.