Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to recover overworking.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ive been doing loads of free weights, im a noob but my arms feel like rock. Is there any warm downs i can do or something in the future to prevent this? cheers!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you stretch after your workouts?
    Your arms always get worked with most gym exercises maybe not directly but that is how we hold weights etc
    What days do you train?
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it just your arms that you're concerned with (in terms of overtraining)?

How often do you train them?

Hitting them once a week with back is more than enough, you end up pounding your biceps throughout your back excersises anyway. Anymore than twice a week for biceps is overtraining and will be detrimental to gains.

Eat well, rest, and get in the protein!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look into foam rolling.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like standard DOMS. It will fade with time. As above, foam rolling is god-tier.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was just the arms doing tricep and bicep curles. A lot of sets and a lot of reps for endurance. Needless to say ive probably overworked it. My arms felt like a pleasant numb feeling yesterday know i cant extend it fully without my arm really aching and kinda sharp stinging sensation.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageExcellence)
    It was just the arms doing tricep and bicep curles. A lot of sets and a lot of reps for endurance. Needless to say ive probably overworked it. My arms felt like a pleasant numb feeling yesterday know i cant extend it fully without my arm really aching and kinda sharp stinging sensation.
    Definitely doms. It is basically just inflammation I believe that is causing the pain.

How about you work something other than arms......
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You must do alot to overworked a arm muscle so it causes pain
    It is doms and stretching your arms out will help

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is no fix for DOMS. Rest is the only solution. If you Google you'll find a variety of ways to apparently speed up recovery, from ice baths to massages and stretching, but none are proven. I personally find a big dose of BCAAs over a couple of days helps a lot.

Anyway, rest up. It'll be less severe next time and you'll eventually get conditioned to it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used the blunt edge of a knife to stretch the muscle out and it seems to have lessened the extent of it but its still achey. Cheers for the advice guys much appreciated. Its pretty hard to do other workouts without using the arms so im a bit incapacitated atm lol
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageExcellence)
    I used the blunt edge of a knife to stretch the muscle out and it seems to have lessened the extent of it but its still achey. Cheers for the advice guys much appreciated. Its pretty hard to do other workouts without using the arms so im a bit incapacitated atm lol
    Stretching can help but as soon as you leave the arm for a short duration in the bent position the aches will return. Have a nap and see what happens lol

Are you walking around like a badass with bent arms? Lol
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Stretching can help but as soon as you leave the arm for a short duration in the bent position the aches will return. Have a nap and see what happens lol

Are you walking around like a badass with bent arms? Lol
    Im walking around in a tank top and puffing myself up for the ladies despite 2 or 3 sessions lol. Nah I just wanna build some upper body strength to improve some of my cardio fitness like push ups, swimming and jogging. Endurance is the best fitness i think.

I keep stretching my arms out every so often. I hope this doesnt last for 72 hours i need to progress faster!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Progress will come dont try rushing for it, set little goals
    I dont know you... but why not forget directly training your arms and train your upper body and then once you have more strength bring direct arm training into it. Your arms will still get trained from other exercises

Improving push ups, jogging and endurance you may want to look at crossfit workouts

Good luck
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I drink a whey protein shake after every workout to help with recovery. That and plenty of rest does wonders for me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anazoth)
    I drink a whey protein shake after every workout to help with recovery. That and plenty of rest does wonders for me.
    not going to do **** for DOMS though.

doms fade, and you eventually stop getting them. i found arms hurt the most after my first session after a long break. arm doms are short lived they hurt the most and restrict movement the most but you stop getting them after a month.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.