Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Development studies: How 2nd year grades affect the master application?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    My 2nd year Sociology grades got back and turns out I kind of mess it up a bit(62%). But I trust I can get 1st in the final year. But the application deadline ends before the final grades release.

So my question is: How 2nd year grades affect my master application? Is there anyway I can fix it?
    (high predicted scores? Strong recommendation? It would be much help if you could explain in details.) Thanks a lot!

PS: My priority goal is Oxford Univ MPhill in Development studies (2 years). Then LSE MSc in Development studies. Other than the degree class, I am strong at the other criteria like work experience, research studies etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    heyy, my average in 2nd year was 65% in Economics. The course I applied to at LSE required a high 2.1 or a first, I still applied with my 2nd year average and my 3rd year 1st semester grades which averaged to about 67%. I still got an offer from LSE for a 2.1 (no required percentage), so in my case i don't think it made that much of a difference. Dont lose hope...you need to write a really good personal statement, and have two good references obviously from lecturers that you have a good relationship with. My personal tutor went to LSE for his masters so he knew what they were looking for and he was the one who wrote one of my references, so i think a good personal statement and two good references will definitely put you in the mix. Like I say I don't think 2nd year averages affect that much as long as your on track for a good 2.1. One of my lecturers told me to apply after I got my 3rd year 1st semester results to prove that I will be able to definitely secure a 2.1, so that can be one way you can go about it, waiting till you get your first semester results as solid proof....good luckkkkkk
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    All you can do is apply this year and see what happens. If you don't get in, think of a plan b and apply the year following...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Postgraduate Education Guide

Quick Link:

Unanswered Postgraduate Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.