Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Call of duty- is it good or bad?

Announcements Posted on
Who has made TSR memorable for you? Nominate your favourite members in the TSR Community Awards for 2014 24-12-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aisha~~)
    I love how CoD is now considered 'hardcore gaming'

brb Starcraft
    brb World Of Warcraft, 200 days spent on characters
    brb Counter strike

brb brb
    I would consider promod hardcore gaming.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Mate, until you've co-ordinated 24 other people to defeat a boss that only 5% of the WoW population has seen, let alone defeated, you can take your preconceptions elsewhere
    You've essentially just reinforced what the op said about world of warcraft players being sad haha
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just picked up MW3 for £15 from Blockbuster even after promising myself I'd never buy it due to it being a rehash of MW2. Although it has nothing on BF3 (on PC and on console) it is still a pretty fun game well worth the money paid for it. Saying that, I would never have paid £40 for it on release. The amount of 10 year olds (you can tell from the Mic noise) is laughable. While they're trying to 'quick-scope-360-wallbang' me, I just nail them with my M4
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecookiemonster)
    You've essentially just reinforced what the op said about world of warcraft players being sad haha
    People put hundreds of hours into CoD, why can't people put hundreds of hours into playing WoW? The fact that it actually requires to use your brain shouldn't put you off
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    CoD's not hardcore, it just utilises a cheap and pointless levelling up system to make people addicted. This is why Halo is superior, ok you can unlock armour but I don't care about the armour.
    You are a genius.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshuano)
    I would consider COD 4 promod hardcore gaming.
    Fixed.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeathByBSOD)
    Fixed.
    Im not aware of any other promods
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really, it's a difficult game to master. But why does it make it's players 'sad' just because of the game they play? Would you say the same about Guitar Hero fans? Or Mario Karters? Imbecile..
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    People put hundreds of hours into CoD, why can't people put hundreds of hours into playing WoW? The fact that it actually requires to use your brain shouldn't put you off
    Indeed. I have somewhere in the region of ~800 hours across the cod games and ~2500 hours on wow. :cool:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not really, it's a difficult game to master. But why does it make it's players 'sad' just because of the game they play? Would you say the same about Guitar Hero fans? Or Mario Karters? Imbecile..
    It's nothing to do with the game you play, world of warcraft players are largely sad because of the amount of time they spend playing the game... get outside, and enjoy real life experiences. Also I was mainly saying you were sad in particular because of the way you were going on about defeating some boss like it was some amazing achievement. It's just a video game.

Calling me an imbecile? It appears I have touched a nerve
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    Oh I'm not denying that people who play call of duty that much are sad as well haha
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Play counterstrike source or any game that doesn't have a laughable aim assist, and as you get the hang of it you'll see why CoD really is a joke. Games that separate players based on their skill and experience rather than those who know/don't know what stupid gameplay mechanic to abuse are far better.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing to do with the game you play, world of warcraft players are largely sad because of the amount of time they spend playing the game... get outside, and enjoy real life experiences. Also I was mainly saying you were sad in particular because of the way you were going on about defeating some boss like it was some amazing achievement. It's just a video game.

Calling me an imbecile? It appears I have touched a nerve
    I just dislike people who hate on WoW despite:

a) never playing it
    b) accomplishing less than me, yet decide that actually I'm some failure at life
    c) the game acting as an amazing medium for making friends and testing your potential in far more ways than just 'being good at gaming'.

I mean, you even say now 'get outside, and enjoy real life experiences'. Are they mututally exclusive? How about I tell you to not watch TV shows, because you should 'get outside'? It's simply ridiculous how people decide 'ok, this activity is not deemed useful by myself, so I am going to label everyone who does enjoy it as pathetic no-lifers. Now I'm going to go spend 5 hours walking around town window-shopping'.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pn94)
    CoD4 was by far the best CoD, although everyone only seemed to jump on the hype from MW2 onwards.
    That was the last cod I liked tbh I only like 4, waw and mw2 :lol: the rest are terrible, I used to be a cod fanboy (I'm ashamed). Imo waw was the best one... tbh its only because I kicked ass on that one :lol: in team deathmatch my team ALWAYS won, I had about 40-50 kills every team deathmatch ... that was the main reason I loved it
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Call of Duty is overrated, I play Battlefield 3 now, and COD comes nowhere near the league BF3 is in. I went to play COD a few weeks ago for just a few minutes, and after playing BF3, you truly realise how terrible COD is.
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:

a) never playing it
    b) accomplishing less than me, yet decide that actually I'm some failure at life
    c) the game acting as an amazing medium for making friends and testing your potential in far more ways than just 'being good at gaming'.

I mean, you even say now 'get outside, and enjoy real life experiences'. Are they mututally exclusive? How about I tell you to not watch TV shows, because you should 'get outside'? It's simply ridiculous how people decide 'ok, this activity is not deemed useful by myself, so I am going to label everyone who does enjoy it as pathetic no-lifers. Now I'm going to go spend 5 hours walking around town window-shopping'.
    You tell 'im what time it is

• 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    You tell 'im what time it is

It's party time!!

Great sig btw, I never noticed that when watching the show! :lol:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

a) never playing it

a) I have played it
    b) I never stated you were a failure at life. Also how do you know you have accomplished more than me in life?
    c) Fair point about making friends, but in what other way does it test your potential?

I don't watch much tv by the way. Maybe you're not one of the pathetic waw players. It's just i'll never forget the time when I was about 15, and I called my friend up to ask if he wanted to join a group of us heading down to the beach. He said he couldn't come because he had promised to show a group of people round a dungeon on world of warcraft. I found that absolutely pathetic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Call of Duty is fun when it first comes out. take me for example i'm on Level 80 Prestige 7, and I cant be bothered to get to level 8, I just find it repetitive and boring, same with all games to be honest, but it's always the same thing, killing people and levelling up, no real bonus to levelling except the Title you earn. But it is rather fun when the friends come over and you get to show off your expertise.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    a) I have played it
    b) I never stated you were a failure at life. Also how do you know you have accomplished more than me in life?
    c) Fair point about making friends, but in what other way does it test your potential?

I don't watch much tv by the way. Maybe you're not one of the pathetic waw players. It's just i'll never forget the time when I was about 15, and I called my friend up to ask if he wanted to join a group of us heading down to the beach. He said he couldn't come because he had promised to show a group of people round a dungeon on world of warcraft. I found that absolutely pathetic.
    You implied that WoW players are 'sad' and 'pathetic'.. by extension that includes me, though I've stopped playing now because of university demands. And I was addressing the public misconception of WoW players as well.

Well for example, when I was 16 I lead 24 other people to clear raid content. I told everyone what to do, how to defeat the particular fight, helped correct people who were screwing up, motivating people after a long night without killing anything, organising people, scheduling dates for us to 'raid' together. The average age of our team was 23/24, we had some 30 year olds and some uni and college people, but no-one as young as me. It really pushed my potential to manage people and be able to lead without being pushy or vindictive. In online games like WoW age doesn't matter, since you're all the same down the end of a mic once your voice deepens. It's about ability, and I found it very liberating. Before I used to suck mega-flaming-donkey-balls at public speaking, but because of this intermediate stage I suddenly found it so much easier. I would just give the presentation in the same way I'd explain a boss fight, clearly, concisely and systematically, and it'd just flow.

So I've got a lot out of WoW, maybe others haven't, and I'm sure some people with addictive personalities have been 'ensnared' by the game and won't let go. But it's nowhere near as shameful or depraved as I believe you think it is

edit: I found what you said about your friend interesting, would you have felt the same if he'd said he had promised to play tennis with some friends? I'm not ripping you a new one here, just I've often turned this situation over in my head and wondered why I too feel it's less acceptable to have obligations in a game activity as opposed to a real life activity. It's still real people you're letting down, after all.. What're your thoughts?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 9, 2012
New on TSR

TSR awards 2014

Who should win? Have your say!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.