The Student Room Group

2:1 support group.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rob1000
War Studies and History at KCL.

Original post by edjunkie
You have a 2:1 from a "good" university, stop feeling "a bit pathetic". You will pass most general graduate computer job filters, your university may help. But what will let you down is a woe is me attitude, I didn't get a first.

After you have secured your first job, your experience is what counts. The current employment climate and internet based applications means that companies get overwhelmed by the number of applications. They try and reduce the number that they have to consider by filtering based on criteria such as degree grade and the presence of key words. Sometimes they end up finding no suitable candidates in 25000 applications for an entry level graduate position. Then said company will complain about the quality of the applicants instead of looking at their recruitment process.

Do yourself a favour, put together a good CV, make sure that any public online presence that you have is employer appropriate. Make sure your applications are targetted at the job you are applying for and address the key skills identified in the job spec. That is what will get you to interview ahead of someone else and the rest is up to you!

not just good, but a great university.

your work experience and cover letter is important too. the 2.1 shouldn't stop you from applying to anywhere for a job and a 2.1 is what is required for a masters. dont beat yourself up, a 2.1 is what nearly all employers ask for anyway.
Original post by edjunkie
You have a 2:1 from a "good" university, stop feeling "a bit pathetic". You will pass most general graduate computer job filters, your university may help. But what will let you down is a woe is me attitude, I didn't get a first.

After you have secured your first job, your experience is what counts. The current employment climate and internet based applications means that companies get overwhelmed by the number of applications. They try and reduce the number that they have to consider by filtering based on criteria such as degree grade and the presence of key words. Sometimes they end up finding no suitable candidates in 25000 applications for an entry level graduate position. Then said company will complain about the quality of the applicants instead of looking at their recruitment process.

Do yourself a favour, put together a good CV, make sure that any public online presence that you have is employer appropriate. Make sure your applications are targetted at the job you are applying for and address the key skills identified in the job spec. That is what will get you to interview ahead of someone else and the rest is up to you!

Agreed.

Just to back up edjunkie:

"More than three-quarters of graduate recruiters now use a 2:1 degree as their minimum entry requirement amid an intense scramble for graduate jobs, a poll of top employers has found.

A total of 76% now use 2:1 as their threshold, up from 52% in 2004, in order to sift through a high volume of applications for each vacancy. According to the survey, 2.5% of recruiters demand a first.

The survey of more than 200 firms, including Accenture, Deloitte, Marks & Spencer and Rolls-Royce, conducted in May, found an average of 73 candidates chasing each vacancy, up from 30 applicants per job before the economic downturn. Retail is the most competitive sector, with more than 150 applicants for each position."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jul/04/graduate-recruiters-look-for-21-degree

Graduate jobs are hyper competitive and the majority filter applicants by 2.1 or higher even then the average is 73 applicants per vacancy.

Experience is more important than the degree classification.
Reply 22
Ok. It seems that this is what happened. For two of my papers I did a completely different approach to answering the question as I felt that only a high first in them would get me a first. That failed and I ended up only scoring 61% in the exams I hoped for firsts in.

All this in finals means that I have a high middling 2:1 rather than a high 2:1. New question, how important is that going to be seeing how many people get 2:1's?

I do take the earlier points about attitude.
Reply 23
I also have a fair bit of unpaid internships under my belt now, luckily.
Reply 24
Original post by Rob1000

All this in finals means that I have a high middling 2:1 rather than a high 2:1. New question, how important is that going to be seeing how many people get 2:1's?

I do take the earlier points about attitude.

Very few employers ask about your actual marks. Even fewer ask to see your transcript. What most ask to see to verify your qualification will be your degree certificate. Your degree certificate says 2:1, not low middle high. So stop worrying about the quality of your 2:1.

A potential employer that specifies 2:1 threshold, accepts applications from anyone with a 2:1 or above. Unless you are applying for something directly related to your degree, your degree class is a filtering tool to reduce the number of applications an employer or agent has to consider. If you get to interview stage, it will be whether you out shine the other candidates and whether you fit into their work culture more than someone else.

I've seen enough great on paper job candidates (good uni, 1st class degree, good application), who have not been selected because they did not fit culturally. Some relied on their academic qualifications and had no people skills or ability to apply their knowledge in real life situations. They had poured all their efforts into getting a 1st and had no skills beyond that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
No harm to aim high but since you didn't get it, don't drill on it, give yourself pat on the back for the 2:1 & move on.

Try to do plenty of apptitude test papers, it will help in job application if you are aiming for career at fiancial sector.
Reply 26
Thanks for all the advice. It's just a memory I have of a chat in the Student Union loo with a guy who said he had to get 67% or over to get onto his grad scheme. I've a fear that might be the cut-off point for many degrees now ( I have 66.5%).

Quick Reply

Latest