The Student Room Group

Top jobs 'restricted to graduates with first-class degrees' :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by M1011
It's not really simplistic at all. Sure Derby might have 15% of students joining with AAB (fyi, I know nothing about Derby), but what percentage of top 10 uni students have AAB or above? So if we're going to assume AAB students can work hard and get a first, surely the top unis who have far more of these students should be giving out far more firsts? Just basic logic no?

As for the large number of mature students, surely that should equally affect all unis more or less. Unless you think all the mature students happen to live in Derby? Anyway mature students are in the extreme minority compared to school leavers joining university, so it's not really relevant.

Without knowing your university I'm not entirely sure what to make of that information lol. But I think it's fair to say that strong universities, who attract the best students, should on average be turning out significantly more first grades then weak universities where firsts should surely be few and far between.

Employers know this, that's why there is a prestige attached to certain universities no? If anything it disadvantages those who are genuinely very good and achieve a high first at one of the weaker unis, as their university is discredited due to its weaker standards. Nobody looks at a 1st from a random Met uni in the same way as they look at a first from Oxbridge, nobody. Yet if they made the system fairer, with more standardised testing levels, then people would know that it was actually an equal achievement in both cases.

It's in my sig, but it was from Hull
Reply 61
Original post by EffieFlowers
Well in general it is completely and utterly true. Don't believe me look into it.

I just gave you a source that showed in general it is not true. Now show me what you are basing your assumptions on why don't you?
Reply 62
Original post by M1011
It's not really simplistic at all. Sure Derby might have 15% of students joining with AAB (fyi, I know nothing about Derby), but what percentage of top 10 uni students have AAB or above? So if we're going to assume AAB students can work hard and get a first, surely the top unis who have far more of these students should be giving out far more firsts? Just basic logic no?

As for the large number of mature students, surely that should equally affect all unis more or less. Unless you think all the mature students happen to live in Derby? Anyway mature students are in the extreme minority compared to school leavers joining university, so it's not really relevant.

Without knowing your university I'm not entirely sure what to make of that information lol. But I think it's fair to say that strong universities, who attract the best students, should on average be turning out significantly more first grades then weak universities where firsts should surely be few and far between.

Employers know this, that's why there is a prestige attached to certain universities no? If anything it disadvantages those who are genuinely very good and achieve a high first at one of the weaker unis, as their university is discredited due to its weaker standards. Nobody looks at a 1st from a random Met uni in the same way as they look at a first from Oxbridge, nobody. Yet if they made the system fairer, with more standardised testing levels, then people would know that it was actually an equal achievement in both cases.

i'd like to know on which planet 30% constitutes an extreme minority. (On planet earth if you own 30% of the shares in a plc the london stock exchange rings up to ask if you're taking it over.)
The distribution of mature undergrads isn't uniform either, the post 92's have more of them. Eg UEL has >50% mature undergrads, york is about 14% and oxbridge like em young with 2% mature undergrads.
Unfortunately you've been too simplistic again :-) perhaps you should fact check your simplistic assumptions against readily available web based sources in future?
Original post by geetar
This is a great news! I have a first class degree!

Unfortunately, it's in English.

:colonhash:

..............................Tell me about it lol, and Join the club.
Reply 64
Original post by Joinedup
i'd like to know on which planet 30% constitutes an extreme minority. (On planet earth if you own 30% of the shares in a plc the london stock exchange rings up to ask if you're taking it over.)
The distribution of mature undergrads isn't uniform either, the post 92's have more of them. Eg UEL has >50% mature undergrads, york is about 14% and oxbridge like em young with 2% mature undergrads.
Unfortunately you've been too simplistic again :-) perhaps you should fact check your simplistic assumptions against readily available web based sources in future?

Do you always act so defensively? Chill out, you can make you points without resulting to childish 'planet earth' statements.

First off, I'm surprised to hear 30% of students are 'mature', there were very few at my university so I did make an assumption there that this was true in general. My mistake. However, I wonder how many of these mature students didn't do A levels etcetera like the rest of us, bear in mind a 21 year old is classed as mature right? Perhaps you can enlighten me with your statistics.

Anyway, you seem to think my views are simplistic but I personally think you're being bogged down in the detail. Take a step back and look at the bigger picture, do you honestly (be honest with me here!) not think the average candidate at a top 10 university is significantly stronger then the average candidate at a bottom 10 university? I've given the extreme ends of the scale for simplicity, but nevertheless I believe they are, and if you agree with me there then I don't see why our opinions differ.

I'm not saying nobody from a bottom university deserves a first. I'm not saying nobody from a bottom 10 couldn't get in to a top 10 given different circumstances. What I'm talking about are averages, and I personally think that the average academic quality of students in top universities MUST be higher then at bottom universities, that's the whole point of a league table right? So if this is the case, I don't think it's fair on all involved how the amount of classifications seems to be pretty evenly dispersed across all universities.

It might interest you to know that I commented on a similar post a few days ago regarding this same issue. The person in question posted about how they were a C grade student throughout A-levels, didn't consider themselves very intelligent, didn't work hard through uni and yet still came out with a first. They proceeded to use this as evidence that achieving a first at university isn't difficult, which I found pretty outrageous. I have no idea what university they attended or what subject they did, and you'd be right in saying I can't possibly use this one example to generalise the entire academic system, but I thought it was worth mentioning that things like this do happen which makes me cringe when I think of how hard some people worked for that qualification at better universities.
Original post by Suetonius
I don't care what spin and BS you put on it. I'm almost certainly "stuck" with a 2:1 at this point (no more, no less) in IR at St Andrews with a year to go, and you're never going to convince me that the (let's face it) dumb people I knew at school - specifically the ones that I still keep in contact with - who got DDD at A level, but are getting 2:1s and even Firsts at Nottingham Trent, Swansea, Manchester Met. etc., are sitting courses just as rigorous. It's flat-out false, and they often admit it. None of those kids would've been able to deal with the workload at a top university, let alone meet the standards required. There's a reason that some universities have lower entry requirements than others.

It's unlikely you would get into Trent or Swansea with DDD at A-Level these days. Perhaps a few years ago it would have been enough but business related courses at Trent for example are at least BBB or higher now.
Original post by Elipsis
Don't tell anyone this, but i've heard you can look for businesses that have recently closed and put them down as a reference :shh:

Related:

Spoiler

Reply 67
It is only a small number of companies considering it. I imagine if it would start anywhere it would be in IB, which is insanely competitive anyway!
Reply 68
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Related:

Spoiler

Used to be able to. Nearly every company is aware of this fact now :tongue:
Reply 69
I'm certain they wouldn't turn down a person who had a 2.1 yet also had vast amounts of work experience and other extra-curricular activities.

Same way there are people who have 2.2 degrees who can still get a job quite easily because they have so much on the side going for them. Meanwhile, you can get someone who has a first yet didn't do much elsewhere. This person isn't going to get far in most job applications. Most of the applications I've done always ask for what you've done outside of academia.

And if a company really doesn't take you despite the amount of extra-curricular stuff you've done and other leadership positions you've taken, then I wouldn't bother wanting to work in such an elitist company anyway.

And most jobs I've looked at have asked for a 2.1 minimum... only one I came across for a charity has asked for a first :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 70
It's all relative.

Top jobs won't demand a 1st from a top 5 uni as a prerequisite, a 2.1 will do nicely.
Reply 71
Original post by f1mad
It's all relative.

Top jobs won't demand a 1st from a top 5 uni as a prerequisite, a 2.1 will do nicely.

Top barrister sets rarely have anyone without a 1st from a top 5 uni (majority Oxbridge). It could easily be rolled out to jobs in IB etc..
Reply 72
Original post by Qaz25

And most jobs I've looked at have asked for a 2.1 minimum... only one I came across for a charity has asked for a first :confused:

Charities can be surprisingly academic. That reminds me, if you want a strong career in academia you pretty much need a 1st in your subject.
Reply 73
Original post by ForKicks
Top barrister sets rarely have anyone without a 1st from a top 5 uni (majority Oxbridge). It could easily be rolled out to jobs in IB etc..

Now you're going into specifics, I was talking in general :rolleyes:.

For IB, it's not about whether you get a 1st, it's about your network/internships etc.
Reply 74
Original post by f1mad
Now you're going into specifics, I was talking in general :rolleyes:.

For IB, it's not about whether you get a 1st, it's about your network/internships etc.

Ah yes, well for the general grad job it will remain 2:1 due to the fact that the difference between the 2 can be marginal. A 2:2 seems just too far removed though.

I also think that the article is talking in specifics as I did, so you can see how it is a bit flawed!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by somethingbeautiful
It doesn't worry me. Experience, experience, experience! When it comes to general grad jobs a 2:1/1st isn't the deal breaker. Employers would rather take on the 2:1 grad with experience than the 1st grad who did nothing. Obviously, if you've got a 2:1 and experience and your competitor is a grad with a 1st AND experience then you need to up your game and stand out with more focused experience/voluntary stuff. Also people have different capabilities during interview - if the interview becomes the only way to distinguish you apart from the competition then get interview experience (job center/uni careers service) and work on that.

Basically if you've just sat exams/done coursework for 3 years without getting any experience then you're in a pickle because a) you lack experience and b) it's highly likely that you have the interview skills equivalent to cacti.

Likewise if you just sat in the union drinking alchopops - you're in a pickle!

Don't be disheartened - it's all about your drive, frame of mind, and the way you sell yourself on your CV/on application forms. I've had 3 interviews since June and I don't actually 'officially' graduate for another 2 weeks. I have a 2:1. I just need to work on my interview technique lol - I'm a bit more skilled than cacti but by how much, I'm not so sure :cool:.

Pretty much this! I know these days a good degree classification isn't enough which is why I've been throwing myself into trying to acquire as much work experience this summer. Of course, then you have to hone your interview skills which I know I REALLY need to work on as I crumble under the pressure, which is a shame as I've been told I can be quite charismatic when I want to be.

If I graduated with a 2.2 I'd be upset but if I had experience then I'd feel slightly more optimistic.
Original post by ThisIsTheLife
Well that's what you'd expect, isn't it? The top jobs should go to the top graduates. The not-so-top jobs should go to the not-so-top graduates.

It doesn't say ALL jobs restricted to those with first class degrees... just top ones. And I don't see the problem there.

Was there ever really anybody out there that thought they could get a 2.2 or a 3rd and walk into a 'top job' just as easily as if they had earned a first? Keep dreaming.

Anyway, good news for me - I've got one of those first class degree thingys, and not in something piss-poor like English either :biggrin:.

Negged 4 times for this.

4 people must have 2.1s in English. Pity.
makes you wonder what a top graduate is?
Is it the well rounded person who bring many skills and have real work experience but falls short on the exam front, or the one with the 1st but lacks alot of skilled needed for the job

I personal don't think being able to pass a exams make you better, look at drivers passing the driving test doesn't make you a great driver over night

I think people forget those graduate scheme as a whole still only take on a small pool of graduates in the grand scheme of employment

Thing like this happen now anyway, don't IB have target Unis they look to employ from. Flawed maybe because you are missing out on a lot off talent but some companies have souch high staff turn over rates anyway who do they care about missing out on one talented person when they have employed 10 ok people
Lets not get started on all the bull about lower unis are easier because really are people going down that line

Now this could be wrong but I remember a rumour about 50% of gradates from imperial college end up with a 2.2. Food for thought

Original post by EffieFlowers
They are a lot easier. If they weren't, and a course with an entry requirement of AAA was at the same level of difficulty of a course which requires the absolute bare minimum then the lower requirement course would have barely any passes. When in truth the proportion of 2.1s and 1st's are similar between Unis. Otherwise it wouldn't be worthwhile holding the course.

Reasons:
Poorer courses tend to have a lot less reliance on exams and a lot more on presentations, course work and group projects.
Lecturers are more likely to actually spoon feed the students, whereas lecturers from top 10s try and push the students to their limits, and are often too caught up in their own research than to spend time spoon feeding.
Marked assessments/ exams are assessed internally, so its up to the uni to choose the level of difficulty. So obviously departmets with an intake of AAA students are much more likely to set harder work than departments who accept DDC type students.
If you don't believe me try and look into the work of the same course type on a top ranked and bottom ranked uni. You will see how much more basic the content of a bottom ranked uni is.

Come on that is really not that true at all, entry requirement are affected by the number of people that apply. You only have to look at courses that have set requirements in order for them to carry accreditation by relent bodies to see that. Rarely to do with difficulty of a course

Exams are marked but a outside source and they are check, normally by another uni a few of my lecturers marked exams taken by Queen Mary students, plus uni do have to follow rules they just can't go making them up as they go along. Seems you are making a lot up
The teaching maybe different, but I very much doubt it is spoon feeding
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
So the people in the top of the class get the top jobs?
Reply 79
I'm entering my 3rd year of uni so don't have to do this stuff for a while now. But I'm actually doing work experience for a newspaper and they want a story on people with decent qualifications finding it hard to get a job after uni. Does anyone want to go on record with their experiences? Feel free to PM me or whatever :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending