The Student Room Group

Getting scammed out of my deposit?

I wasn't sure if this was the right place for it but I lived in UNITE student accommodation in Liverpool this year and we have just been informed about how much of the £250 deposit we each got back. We have each had £92.50 kept from our deposits to replace a communal carpet with an iron burn on it, which I had no knowledge of.

Now I cannot say for the fourth person in our flat as she was Chinese and didn't talk much but two of us left in May and the fault we have been charged for was not there when we left. I haven't managed to get in contact with the third person yet, we are good friends so I assume she would be honest with me about if she had burnt the carpet and would pay more for it.

The question I had, however, was not about whether there was a burn in the carpet, as the third person had in fact ironed in there before, whereas the rest of us ironed in our rooms, but whether the typical UNITE carpet would really cost £370 to replace and whether in fact you would need to replace the whole carpet at all?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
from what i understand, you would have to replace the whole carpet, otherwise it would look mismatched etc.

It also depends on the size of the carpet and where they get the carpet from.

they would also then have to employ somebody to fit the carpet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by elldeegee
from what i understand, you would have to replace the whole carpet, otherwise it would look mismatched etc.

I've just spoken to my friend and she says it was her fault, so that's fine but the amount they are expecting us to pay amounts to £370, and the kind of carpet that was used, you know the scratchy, ribbed office kind of carpet, can only cost about £3 per square metre and even plus labour (I don't know how much that costs in all honesty) that shouldn't amount to £370 for the size of the room.

In addition to that I've just gone over the tenancy agreement and in the tenancy agreement it specifies that the tenant (i.e. us) is entitled to check out the flat with a representative and come to an agreement with the landlord. The landlord is entitled to give notice of intention to draw on the deposit but since there has not been any discussion I am hoping that we can call them up on that and discuss with them the costs they have outlined.
Reply 3
Remember that they legally have to put the deposit into a deposit assurance scheme (something along those lines) so they don't actually have the money - it's held by a third party and they will moderate in disputes. Unite can't just say that's what they're going to charge and leave it as your problem.
Reply 4
Original post by CurlyBen
Remember that they legally have to put the deposit into a deposit assurance scheme (something along those lines) so they don't actually have the money - it's held by a third party and they will moderate in disputes. Unite can't just say that's what they're going to charge and leave it as your problem.

Thanks! that's really helpful, I don't know which scheme it's in though, I've checked on mydeposits.com and my deposit is covered by them but I'm not too sure about it all from a legal perspective, I'll have to do some more reading.
Reply 5
A very similar thing happened to me with Unite, where I was charged for damage I didn't commit, which was present when I moved in. Ring up the halls and explain that you had nothing to do with it. When i rang and complained that didn't charge me, so it couldn't do any harm trying that?
Reply 6
Original post by Chris22
A very similar thing happened to me with Unite, where I was charged for damage I didn't commit, which was present when I moved in. Ring up the halls and explain that you had nothing to do with it. When i rang and complained that didn't charge me, so it couldn't do any harm trying that?

I will do, I know it was my flatmate's fault but she is my friend and while I don't want to have to pay £92.50 she shouldn't have to pay a stupid amount to make up for it, £370 is more than her deposit! I know that even if we can't get the price down she won't make me pay for her (actually her boyfriend's) problem.

Before I was worried they were scamming, now I just want to help my friend out with the stupid amount of money they have asked for.

Thanks btw :smile:
When I lived in halls, I was charged for damage to a room that I had never even entered. I told them this and said that if they could prove I'd been in the room (CCTV) I would pay the fine, and I never got a reply.

I think you'll have agreed to something along the lines of "any damage you cause will be taken from your deposit at the end of the year" but it's unfair that you end up paying for things which you had absolutely nothing to do with.
Reply 8
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
When I lived in halls, I was charged for damage to a room that I had never even entered. I told them this and said that if they could prove I'd been in the room (CCTV) I would pay the fine, and I never got a reply.

I think you'll have agreed to something along the lines of "any damage you cause will be taken from your deposit at the end of the year" but it's unfair that you end up paying for things which you had absolutely nothing to do with.

Yeah, it's really stupid the lengths they'll go to to get money out of you :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by elldeegee

There is no way you have to replace the whole carpet. In our house they laid down two sections and made the join unnoticeable, OP is being overcharged by a lot.
£370 is too much to replace a carpet. I would challenge it.

This wasn't student accomodation, but I was charged £100 to clean an oven (that I hadn't used since I was there as I did all my cooking on the hob) and replace a lightbulb.

I challenged this through arbitration on one of the deposit protection schemes, and I got my money back.

The irony was that they wanted to charge me for lightbulbs and cleaning using a professional cleaning company, but when I got the keys to that flat, almost everything in there - floors, kitchen, bathroom etc had been left dirty by the previous tenant and there wasn't a full set of lightbulbs.

I had to ask them to get a cleaner to come and do it, and even then I told them to send the cleaner back because the bath/shower was still filthy and the wooden drainer thing?? that was on the floor that you step out of the bath onto was encrusted with the previous tenant's body grease and hair.

I marked a lot of the things on the inventory as dirty. The lightbulb they were charging me (under cupboard downlighter) wasn't even on the inventory so I didn't think to check that it actually worked when I did my inventory check.

This wasn't a slum landlord either, it was a city centre agency supposedly letting luxury flats and apartments for working professionals.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
In the block I was living in last year a fire extinguisher was tampered with and because no one owned up it looked like everyone would have to pay for it - my flat and the one opposite us got out of it because we e-mailed to complain that as we were on the ground floor and the extinguisher in question was on the first floor we were not in a relevant area.

Think your best bet is to negotiate the cost, perhaps do some reading up online and see if you could find a cheaper quote for the carpet getting refitted?
Reply 12
Original post by Toast_n_Gravy
Thanks! that's really helpful, I don't know which scheme it's in though, I've checked on mydeposits.com and my deposit is covered by them but I'm not too sure about it all from a legal perspective, I'll have to do some more reading.

I think legally they have to inform you which scheme your deposit's being held with, so you should have some paperwork about it already. Otherwise try giving them a ring - if they're obstructive and refuse to tell you or let you know what the dispute resolution scheme is then it will look very bad on them if/when it goes to arbitration.

I got stung (luckily not for much) the year before the deposit protection scheme came in, I was pretty mad - the house was in a terrible state when we got there, we cleaned it, fixed things and generally left it much better than when we arrived and still got fined!
Original post by megan.c
In the block I was living in last year a fire extinguisher was tampered with and because no one owned up it looked like everyone would have to pay for it - my flat and the one opposite us got out of it because we e-mailed to complain that as we were on the ground floor and the extinguisher in question was on the first floor we were not in a relevant area.

Think your best bet is to negotiate the cost, perhaps do some reading up online and see if you could find a cheaper quote for the carpet getting refitted?

I've done some researching about the carpets but we would need access to the flat, which we would need to negotiate with UNITE about etc.
Original post by CurlyBen
I think legally they have to inform you which scheme your deposit's being held with, so you should have some paperwork about it already. Otherwise try giving them a ring - if they're obstructive and refuse to tell you or let you know what the dispute resolution scheme is then it will look very bad on them if/when it goes to arbitration.

I got stung (luckily not for much) the year before the deposit protection scheme came in, I was pretty mad - the house was in a terrible state when we got there, we cleaned it, fixed things and generally left it much better than when we arrived and still got fined!

That is really bad, I'm hoping that they are a large enough company not to be pernickety about it but I might be wrong. I'll be calling up later today anyway to see what they say.
That is really bad, I'm hoping that they are a large enough company not to be pernickety about it but I might be wrong. I'll be calling up later today anyway to see what they say.

from what I've heard on here UNITE are notorious for holding back as much of the deposit as they think they can get away with.
I wasn't sure if this was the right place for it but I lived in UNITE student accommodation in Liverpool this year and we have just been informed about how much of the £250 deposit we each got back. We have each had £92.50 kept from our deposits to replace a communal carpet with an iron burn on it, which I had no knowledge of.

Now I cannot say for the fourth person in our flat as she was Chinese and didn't talk much but two of us left in May and the fault we have been charged for was not there when we left. I haven't managed to get in contact with the third person yet, we are good friends so I assume she would be honest with me about if she had burnt the carpet and would pay more for it.

The question I had, however, was not about whether there was a burn in the carpet, as the third person had in fact ironed in there before, whereas the rest of us ironed in our rooms, but whether the typical UNITE carpet would really cost £370 to replace and whether in fact you would need to replace the whole carpet at all?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Toast_n_Gravy

My name’s Frankie, I work for UNITE and I’m here to support TSR users and respond to queries regarding our properties, i noticed your post and thought a response might be helpful.

The best thing to do in the first instance is call a member of your City team. They’ll be able to talk you through any charges that have been applied and investigate your situation further.

I notice that you lived in Liverpool, if you let me know which property you were in I can send you their telephone number.

We enter all our customers into a tenancy deposit protection scheme (TDPS) MyDeposit. This is a national scheme to protect your deposit and the rights of both you (the tenant) and the landlord during disputes.

If, after speaking to the city team, you're still unhappy with the decision, UNITE can inform MyDeposit on your behalf.
Or if you’d like to contact MyDeposit directly you can do so here; (http://www.mydeposits.co.uk/). MyDeposit will then make an independent enquiry based on the information both you and UNITE provide. To log your dispute you will need your “DPC number” which will be on the TDPS information you were given by UNITE at check-in.

I hope this information is helpful!

This is a bit off topic but I'm in UNITE halls next year in Liverpool. Any chance you can tell me what property you're in? I'm staying at Capital Gate.
Reply 18
lol serves you right.
Original post by claret_n_blue
This is a bit off topic but I'm in UNITE halls next year in Liverpool. Any chance you can tell me what property you're in? I'm staying at Capital Gate.

Cambridge court, it's probably the most expensive of all the halls in Liverpool and the worst value for money, other than Larch House, I would say try and get any other halls but Cambridge Court.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending