The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester law school

What's up people. I am an italian applicant(a successful one, thank gawd) who was admitted to the LLB course at Manchester University. Basically irony claimed that I was going to receive an offer within two days from my application lool, and I still got plenty of time to decide whether to accept their offer or not, one week at most.

Now, I was worried about the prestige that this university holds for social sciences, but more in particular, for Law. Indeed, UoM, is highly regarded for mostly anything related to the field of science, but does it still boast the same prestige for law?

Being a foreigner, while living outside the UK, doesn't help that much. I need your insights about the Law Faculty, its prestige around the UK and the Globe, and the graduate prospect of employment. Yeah, that's right. I'd like to know according to you, if it's worth giving it a shot, after all we are talking about having a debt of 27k pounds after only three years rofl.

By the way, why on earth did they increase that much tuition fees since this year entry? That's ridiculously high!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Alkamar
What's up people. I am an italian applicant(a successful one, thank gawd) who was admitted to the LLB course at Manchester University. Basically irony claimed that I was going to receive an offer within two days from my application lool, and I still got plenty of time to decide whether to accept their offer or not, one week at most.

Now, I was worried about the prestige that this university holds for social sciences, but more in particular, for Law. Indeed, UoM, is highly regarded for mostly anything related to the field of science, but does it still boast the same prestige for law?

Being a foreigner, while living outside the UK, doesn't help that much. I need your insights about the Law Faculty, its prestige around the UK and the Globe, and the graduate prospect of employment. Yeah, that's right. I'd like to know according to you, if it's worth giving it a shot, after all we are talking about having a debt of 27k pounds after only three years rofl.

By the way, why on earth did they increase that much tuition fees since this year entry? That's ridiculously high rofl!

yes its a very good law school.

next
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Manchester is one of the best universities in the UK, and it's Law dept is very well regarded.
The law school is extremely well funded, highly regarded and we're getting a new common room over summer :3 And we have a costa coffee machine in the building (although it's technically owned by geology...)!

Something I like about the law school building is that students are always free to just pop into the lecturers' offices whenever. All lecturers have office hours but is pretty casual and easy to just pop in if you need a question answering as your passing. In contrast, the social science school has so much crazy security that all of the lecturers' offices are separated from the student areas and you have to call through the wall to make an appointment with the lecturer. It's crazy, law is much nicer :smile:

Also, this was floating about my facebook today: http://www.allaboutcareers.com/features/article/125/which-universities-do-the-top-employers-target#.T_SbvXZkaHd.facebook
Reply 4
Just gave a look at that link you forwarded me Ella, beautiful name btw, I didn't know that Manchester was actually the first university targeted by employers in the UK.. I mean, that's an oustanding achievement to say the least!

I'm glad to hear that UoM hasn't dropped prestige for its law dept. But yeah, it's crazy that you're allowed to pop in lecturers' offices almost whenever you feel comfortable =P guess I'll have big time at manchester. The only thing that worries me atm, is the obvious matter of making friends. My english is almost acceptable, but a couple of mates told me that I tend to use formal words in informal contexts. In a nutshell, the likelihood of looking like a weirdo is still pretty high. :frown: Well, I have only built up a decent grounding of academic english, for academic purposes. Which means that I'm not prepared yet to face alone those daily matters that everybody normally deals with.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Alkamar
Just gave a look at that link you forwarded me Ella, beautiful name btw, I didn't know that Manchester was actually the first university targeted by employers in the UK.. I mean, that's an oustanding achievement to say the least!

I'm glad to hear that UoM hasn't dropped prestige for its law dept. But yeah, it's crazy that you're allowed to pop in lecturers' offices almost whenever you feel comfortable =P guess I'll have big time at manchester. The only thing that worries me atm, is the obvious matter of making friends. My english is almost acceptable, but a couple of mates told me that I tend to use formal words in informal contexts. In a nutshell, the likelihood of looking like a weirdo is still pretty high. :frown: Well, I have only built up a decent grounding of academic english, for academic purposes. Which means that I'm not prepared yet to face alone those daily matters that everybody normally deals with.

Yep, Manchester always does really well in employment figures, both nationally and internationally! It also ranks very highly worldwide in its research. The law department produces both law and criminological research and it is consistently rated very high in quality.

As an international student I imagine you will have extra help with settling into Manchester - extra letures, 'buddies' or local contacts with other international students etc. Living in halls you'll pick up English and people around you will always help you out if you can't explain something or don't understand what others are saying. You shouldn't stick out at all as there are about 25% international students as a whole at Manchester and probably about the same amount in law itself.
Reply 6
Original post by ellakrystina
Yep, Manchester always does really well in employment figures, both nationally and internationally! It also ranks very highly worldwide in its research. The law department produces both law and criminological research and it is consistently rated very high in quality.

As an international student I imagine you will have extra help with settling into Manchester - extra letures, 'buddies' or local contacts with other international students etc. Living in halls you'll pick up English and people around you will always help you out if you can't explain something or don't understand what others are saying. You shouldn't stick out at all as there are about 25% international students as a whole at Manchester and probably about the same amount in law itself.

That's really cool! This is the stuff I was looking for :smile:

About accomodation halls, I'm still unsure whether to choose Fallowfield or Victoria Park. Both campuses are great, yet I'm very intrigued by Fallowfield social scene. Right now, I'd say odds are much greater on fallowfield :P
Original post by Alkamar
That's really cool! This is the stuff I was looking for :smile:

About accomodation halls, I'm still unsure whether to choose Fallowfield or Victoria Park. Both campuses are great, yet I'm very intrigued by Fallowfield social scene. Right now, I'd say odds are much greater on fallowfield :P

Fallowfield is really good for first year, and the majority of your friends and people on your course will live there so it's good for arranging to meet people. A lot of sportclubs train in and around Fallowfield so it's pretty much good for everything :smile:

If you're looking at Victoria Park I'd consider not going further out than 105/106/108 (http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=6353) as no buses go off the main Oxford/Wimslow Road and it's frustrating to walk to the halls. Look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2014813 for further advice on campuses.

I've also got some pictures of accommodation here to help: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellakrystina/sets/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I am an Italian applicant too who will be studying in Manchester in September! Lot of guys told me that there are lot of international students in manchester and it is the ideal place to enjoy your studies,so we should not worry about it :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ellakrystina
Fallowfield is really good for first year, and the majority of your friends and people on your course will live there so it's good for arranging to meet people. A lot of sportclubs train in and around Fallowfield so it's pretty much good for everything :smile:

If you're looking at Victoria Park I'd consider not going further out than 105/106/108 (http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=6353) as no buses go off the main Oxford/Wimslow Road and it's frustrating to walk to the halls. Look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2014813 for further advice on campuses.

I've also got some pictures of accommodation here to help: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellakrystina/sets/

Wait, those ones are all student halls? To think that here in Italy you won't find anything that resembles a proper accomodation, I am even more confident that I made the right choice about studying at manchester lool

Ella, thank you so much for having helped me out! Now my doubts are finally gone :biggrin: Maybe we'll catch up with each other at Manchester once I get there :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi

is manchester still considered good for LLb law even though it doesn't feature in the top 10 of the league tables especially for law?
Original post by Scruffyjoe
Hi

is manchester still considered good for LLb law even though it doesn't feature in the top 10 of the league tables especially for law?

League tables are a very flawed measure. Have a read of this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372

Yes, Manchester is still regarded as a good uni for law. Law firms tend to take very little notice of league tables (which can change drastically from year to year anyway) but they will tend to rely on more traditional measures of whether a uni is good e.g. is it in the Russell Group?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending