Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this a joke?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18703497

So apparently we are now up to 4th in the World. Italy made the final, still below us. Portugal made the semis and have been there a couple of times in major international tournaments since 2004. I thought FIFA hated us. From their rankings it seems like they want to bum us.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Italy got hammered 4-0 by Spain; England beat Spain last November, but yet lost to Italy.

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    Italy got hammered 4-0 by Spain; England beat Spain last November, but yet lost to Italy.

That was a friendly though...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The FIFA rankings are calculated over a long period of time. England qualified well for the 2010 world cup (winning group and only losing one game), got out of their group at that world cup and then qualified well for Euro 2012 and won their group and didn't lose a game in 90 mins. This is along with good results in friendlies makes England so high up.

The terrible world cup that Italy had in 2010 (beat off Slovakia, drew with Newzealand - a team with part-time players - and finished bottom of their group) will still be hurting their ranking, while Portugal only got one game further on than England.

It does seen silly to England fans who are less than impressed with their team but in the quantitative way these things are worked out it makes sense.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    As Gary Linekar just said on Twitter: 'What kind of ranking puts a country 4th when they have only contested 2 semi-finals in over 40 years? #priceless'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I guess the Euro's weren't a complete waste of time for us then....

No, seriously, I wouldn't fancy our chances against 15 of the the top 20.

We're just not that good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can see how it's come about though. Portugal finished below Denmark in their qualifying group. And in 2010 Italy failed to get out of a group containing Slovakia, New Zealand and Paraguay.

And both of them finished only 2nd in their groups for the Euros.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not a joke. Way it is calculated isn't the best, but the same way still applies for everyone (no doubt people try to act like England are the only ones) and we come out in that position because our results aren't actually that bad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do people only question the rankings when England do well in them?

Would you say Holland are better than us?

How did they get on at Euro 2012?

Would you say Belgium are a good team?

Where were they in Poland and Ukraine?

It's based on results not opinion.

Roy Hodgson is unbeaten as England manager.

We deserve our 4th place ranking.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluenose14)
    I can see how it's come about though. Portugal finished below Denmark in their qualifying group. And in 2010 Italy failed to get out of a group containing Slovakia, New Zealand and Paraguay.

And both of them finished only 2nd in their groups for the Euros.
    NZ were the only unbeaten team out of all that contested the last world cup.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably still feeling guilty about the last world cup where we'd have gone 2-2 with Germany and probably won the game, if it wasn't for a lack of goal line technology and incompetent referee and linesman.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I Believe Scotland should be Ranked in the Top 10, just for having the best Supporters in the world. Same Applies to The Irish.
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cheering.gif 
Views:	99 
Size:	474.1 KB 
ID:	161367  
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    England haven't beaten a top nation in a knockout round of a tournament in over 40 years. They deserve to be nowhere near the Top 10.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Meh... the rankings are stupid anyway kinda unfair that teams like england are even in the top 5 despite not being able to beat any team in the top 10 but you know what can you do ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrescoDiMorte)
    Meh... the rankings are stupid anyway kinda unfair that teams like england are even in the top 5 despite not being able to beat any team in the top 10 but you know what can you do ?
    We beat Spain.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    England haven't beaten a top nation in a knockout round of a tournament in over 40 years. They deserve to be nowhere near the Top 10.
    We beat Spain in the quarter-finals of Euro 96.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRS-T)
    We beat Spain.
    In a friendly, portugal beat them in a friendly 4-0 AFTER the world cup but its a friendly so It doesnt mean SQUAT. Tell me another top 10 team you've beaten recently ???????? England have no right to be anywhere near the top 10.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRS-T)
    We beat Spain in the quarter-finals of Euro 96.
    In 96 Spain were **** and not a top nation.

And even then it was only on penalties, you didn't beat them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    On a side note, I always have a little chuckle to myself when I see England retaining World Cups on Championship Manager
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrescoDiMorte)
    In a friendly, portugal beat them in a friendly 4-0 AFTER the world cup but its a friendly so It doesnt mean SQUAT. Tell me another top 10 team you've beaten recently ???????? England have no right to be anywhere near the top 10.
    We have got better results than you.

That's why we're above you.

That's why we "deserve" to be above you.

Simple.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 6, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.