The Student Room Group

why do Asians have lot of self hate when it comes to dating ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brownchocolateice
I think preferences are different to exclusive dating. You did say you would consider dating an indian. Since you are quite fair you might have similar preferences in a partner. I have dark skin but no inferiority complex..different people like different things.

It's good you don't have an inferior complex. It can be quite annoying when some people do, clearly they still hold on to what their parents say, fair looks better. Each to their own as you rightly say.

I don't get how asian women cannot be sexually attractive but maybe it was the ones you met or maybe they didn't put out a sexually attractive image for you as most don't get sexually intimate till in a serious relationship or where marriage is concerned.

I don't like the look of indian girls overall. It's not just paleness, you can get pale indian girls too. I love european features, noses, lips e.t.c it's very different and it's what I have always liked as long as I remember.

The indian girls I met were ready for more and since at uni I have learnt that at least 3-4 have liked me. It's not a sexual behaviour issue as you hint at-my mates have slept with quite a few asian girls. It's the fact I don't like their look personally.

I do think girls get judged much more harshley for dating out when they shouldn't as many guys do the same and actually more.You might not be a coconut but I don't think Indian can be just defined as liking cricket, indian songs and having indian mates. Lot of my white friends do this too. My cousin married a white guy and he is definietly way more culturally indian then many indian guys. He knows Hindi, can read and write it and is into yoga, meditation etc.

That was a basic example by me. My point is I am not a coconut and those who know me realise that.
tbh i dont have typical asian features (im half asian) more like white features i have pale skin too...but i dnt mind dating indian girls that have a dark complexion tbh if they got nice features i do not care about the color...

but to the op in this thread...back home india and pakistan they hve self hate...they actually do so much **** to thier skin to go lighter :s
Original post by Anonymous
Lol basically for an ONS I wouldn't have said no, back in the day :tongue:

If I got defensive, it's mainly cause people get negs from insecure asian girls, hence anon. Last time I remember a few of us getting negs.

Not engaged but def will be married within 2 years. We have talked about it e.t.c. I think in one year I will propose when we go travelling. It will have to be perfectly planned in the right setting :colondollar:

that sounds romantic. :wink:
Original post by darkxangel
17 :h:

i feel so old now. i feel bad about the random options i gave for the photo. I might have to save any pics till your 18th bday lol
joking.
i feel so old now. i feel bad about the random options i gave for the photo. I might have to save any pics till your 18th bday lol
joking.

lol :colondollar:
Original post by Anonymous
It's good you don't have an inferior complex. It can be quite annoying when some people do, clearly they still hold on to what their parents say, fair looks better. Each to their own as you rightly say.

I don't like the look of indian girls overall. It's not just paleness, you can get pale indian girls too. I love european features, noses, lips e.t.c it's very different and it's what I have always liked as long as I remember.

The indian girls I met were ready for more and since at uni I have learnt that at least 3-4 have liked me. It's not a sexual behaviour issue as you hint at-my mates have slept with quite a few asian girls. It's the fact I don't like their look personally.

That was a basic example by me. My point is I am not a coconut and those who know me realise that.

I believe in making my own views taking good things from my culture and ignoring the bad things. This darker skin is inferior is basically a colonial hangover and i don't subscribe to light is better.

I think that's pretty harsh to say about Indian girls. You can't generalise their looks as being one particular thing but you're right to have your preference and similarly many asian girls don't like those features on asian guys and prefer to date white. The good thing is you haven't bowed to any pressure to date an Indian girl
A lot of indian guys date a white girl and then marry indian which leads to lot of unhappy marriages and the whole stereotype about Indian guys. Besides no Indian girl deserves to marry a guy who cannot love her completely and is not attracted to her. that would be cruel.

there are different definitions of coconut but as long as you're happy with who you are that's important.

anyway all the best for the wedding.
lol :colondollar:

lol dw the photos were nothing suspicious just felt guilty asking for yours.
So are you on break from school at the moment?
lol dw the photos were nothing suspicious just felt guilty asking for yours.
So are you on break from school at the moment?

yep i guess i started my gap year :wink: even though all i've done is laze around and watch tv.
Reply 48
In my experience there are three types of Asian people -

- those that have an inferiority complex about their dark skin and put lighter skinned people on a pedestal. These types of people want nothing to do with fellow darker skinned people. And often act superior to other darker skinned people because they're 'in with the whites'. I have found this more so in British Indian girls and Indian girls born in India.

- those that (when it comes to dating and friendships) tend to stick with fellow darker skinned people. I have found this more so in British Pakistani girls.

- those that just don't care about race when it comes to dating and friendships because its 2012 ffs! (me).

(I am a British Indian male btw)
yep i guess i started my gap year :wink: even though all i've done is laze around and watch tv.

you havent been lazy you've been pretty productive on tsr :smile: Are you planning to go anywhere for your gap year?
When is your bday?
you havent been lazy you've been pretty productive on tsr :smile: Are you planning to go anywhere for your gap year?
When is your bday?

my b-day is somewhere this month. mmh, not sure maybe south-europe next summer,
I'm Bengali and if I go to college and a girl, White or Asian, tried to talk to me, I would just reply "how are you sister?" and walk away. This will show that there is a barrier between us and we cannot talk like an average boy and girl.
Original post by MancBoy
In my experience there are three types of Asian people -

- those that just don't care about race when it comes to dating and friendships because its 2012 ffs! (me).

(I am a British Indian male btw)

I think you left out the fact that a lot of British Indian guys and guys born in India are much more obsessed and crazy over white skin than Indian/British Indian girls. In fact their behaviour in rejecting darker skinned Indians is probably what perpetuates this female behaiour. British Indian guys are much worse. We don't really have such attitudes among the Indian community in Australia despite being a smaller community so its quite surprising for me. 3 british asian guys on this thread have said they prefer white girls because of specific features. And there have been numerous threads created by indian guys on this topic..which really reek of desperation. Then they get a series of no responses and become all disappointed.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1687838

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1880849

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1902906

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1356845

this is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Then british indian guys wonder why british indian girls are not interested.
Is it no wonder british asian girls would prefer white guys or guys of other races when they dont get proper love and respect from brit indian guys. There are so many double standard presssures on the girl to yield and date someone of the same race in comparison to guys.

I admire British Pakistani boys and girls way more for actually knowing about their background and respecting it. British Indians seem a little more lost in that respect.

I believe in dating without boundaries but I don't agree with fetishising one race over another or suggesting
my b-day is somewhere this month. mmh, not sure maybe south-europe next summer,

is it in the middle or towards the end. South Europe sounds like fun :smile:
A lot of indian guys date a white girl and then marry indian which leads to lot of unhappy marriages and the whole stereotype about Indian guys. Besides no Indian girl deserves to marry a guy who cannot love her completely and is not attracted to her. that would be cruel.

But most indian marriages are arranged anyway, even semi arranged nowadays, so that isn't love. More like mutual care for each other due to marriage.

anyway all the best for the wedding.

Cheers.
Original post by King Kebab
Can you provide evidence of this please?

It's a cultural thing. It is what is expected from parents.
is it in the middle or towards the end. South Europe sounds like fun :smile:

not sure :/
The ignorance in this thread...

It's not because these Asians aren't attracted to different races. Far from it. It's like, for example, if my white friend's parents are big, shy, geeky fans of gaming and my white friend finds someone who's a hairdresser in a makeup salon or a PE teacher or a fitness coach, and my friend wants his children to be brought up by their grandparents as well as their parents, he'd either want the two parties to set aside their differences or he'd be less inclined to pick the girl.

Same thing with Asians. I'm attracted to any girl of any race who ticks my boxes, I'd be less inclined if she didn't get on with my friends, and even less so if she didn't get on with my family.
Original post by Dee Leigh
It's a cultural thing. It is what is expected from parents.

Too much of a generalization.
Original post by King Kebab
Too much of a generalization.

Well I don't mean it for every single Asian person, but Asians are less likely to 'marry out' anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending