The Student Room Group

psycology at Alevel?

Im thinking of taking psychology at A level but i think it may be too difficult, the case studies are very long and you would have to learn alot.
I am a A/B student at GCSE, what do you think?:confused:
I think this is in the wrong forum.....
Reply 2
Original post by chelseafan
I think this is in the wrong forum.....

this is the psychology forum though
Original post by 123maz
this is the psychology forum though

Yes because a mod moved it.
Reply 4
whats a mod?
A mod is a moderator of TSR. To answer your question, check which course of Psychology your college/school offers: is it case study or research based? However, if you are an A/B student there is no reason you cannot get a C or better at A-Level Psych (and should get a B if you put the effort in). There are lots of studies to learn, but if you get onlearning these throughout the course then psychology is really not that bad. So my advice is take psychology if you think it will be interesting (which it is), but make sure you put in enough effort throughout, you can't cram. This goes for most A-Levels actually.
Original post by 123maz
whats a mod?

It stands for moderator, and they are just people that have extra powers to move threads, close inappropriate threads, get people warnings etc.

If you're an A/B student, you should be fine with Psychology. I have just finished the AS, and yes there is a lot of detail to learn, but if you enjoy the subject you should be fine. Ultimately, the subject is hard if you don't enjoy it. If you have little interest in it, you will struggle to remember all the studies. If you have an interest in Psychology though, and work hard throughout the year, you should be fine. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I think you should be fine AS LONG AS you work hard at it throughout the year, not just a few weeks before the exam for revision :P My exam board was AQA and there were never any long case studies to remember, just studies (you only have to evaluate them really and briefly summarise what they were about) which are easy once you've learnt them! As long as you are aware that Psych isn't an 'easy option' and aren't choosing it for that reason then you should be fine!! It's really interesting and you should enjoy studying it! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPod app
Reply 8
thanks that was very motivating
*psychology

sorry. :P

yeh A/B is fine. alot of studies to learn but its jst getting your head around them :smile:
As far as it goes it's considered an easier A Level. This does not mean it is an easy A level. You still have to work for it, but I think it's straightforward to revise on your own and because virtually everyone takes it there are lots of resources on it.

If you need any more convincing, last year I got a C without any work and this year (on mock tests) I was getting upwards of 83% with lots of work. It's also one of the most interesting subjects.
Reply 11
spelling *psychology
It's meant to be one of the softer a-levels so you should be fine.

IMO it's a combination of english as you have to write essays, although your structuring doesn't have to be great and biology in parts with a bit of maths occaisionally.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Clare~Bear
It's meant to be one of the softer a-levels so you should be fine.

IMO it's a combination of english and biology with a bit of maths occaisionally.

Don't want to sound harsh, but i don't really agree.

It is considered "soft" by universities, but in reality only 4% of people get A*s, whereas in maths something like 20% of people get A*s. Having gone to Cambridge for psychology, i struggled to get the A* i needed to get in and only did with several resits!

The biology is really minimal, and tends to be behaviourally based (i.e. learning that in a study testosterone levels correlate with aggression in inmates), but you learn nothing about the endocrine system generally. Having done English Lit its also nothing like psychology- these essays are slightly less formulaic, and generally people who do psychology a level thinking it will be like the english lit of behaviour don't do well because opinion/interpretation of your own never usually counts for anything.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending