The Student Room Group

Manchester College Access to Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else that's been confirmed a place for September?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Yes me :smile:)

Really annoying that we can't get times and dates until August at enrolment I've rang twice now but given up. I'm still going to try to work part-time so my work need my shift changes.

Really excited to start. Have you been revising for UKCAT and have you booked yours?

Nikki x
Original post by nickylou1
Yes me :smile:)

Really annoying that we can't get times and dates until August at enrolment I've rang twice now but given up. I'm still going to try to work part-time so my work need my shift changes.

Really excited to start. Have you been revising for UKCAT and have you booked yours?

Nikki x

Hi Nikki,

Yeah would be nice to have everything set ready. What campus are you going to? I'm going to Nicholls campus and am doing access to Dentistry as that's the route I want to take.

Are you from Manchester area? I'm having to move up from Portsmouth area, got to find accommodation. May look for a part time job when I'm there.

Yes, I've booked my UKCAT for 21st August! Really not looking forward to it. Just starting to revise now really. Just using books/Internet. You?

Greg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Hey Greg and Nikki! Yeah I have a place on the "Access to Medicine" course at Nicholls campus but I also need more info regarding start dates! September 2013 is a bit vague!

Going to call them tomorrow as I have a day off work but really need to know when the course begins as I will need to hand my notice in and move down to manchester,I'm from Glasgow originally. There are a lot of things to organise and not having a timeframe isn't making it any easier!

As for the UKCAT I will need to get it booked asap! I've been using a variety of prep materials to get my speed up but the abstract reasoning still makes my brain hurt!

Would be good to get some advice on accommodation as I dont know Manchester very well...any help as to areas to look in would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Richard
Original post by richardw86
Hey Greg and Nikki! Yeah I have a place on the "Access to Medicine" course at Nicholls campus but I also need more info regarding start dates! September 2013 is a bit vague!

Going to call them tomorrow as I have a day off work but really need to know when the course begins as I will need to hand my notice in and move down to manchester,I'm from Glasgow originally. There are a lot of things to organise and not having a timeframe isn't making it any easier!

As for the UKCAT I will need to get it booked asap! I've been using a variety of prep materials to get my speed up but the abstract reasoning still makes my brain hurt!

Would be good to get some advice on accommodation as I dont know Manchester very well...any help as to areas to look in would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

Any joy with the phone call yet? I know my days for my course, was told in the interview. Unsure of exact start date yet though. For my course it's all day Monday, half days Tues & Weds.

I know of a couple of areas that were thought to be the nicer areas around Nicholls campus. Didsbury is one and the other I can't remember but have written down, I shall check it later and post again. What are you looking to do? Houseshare or rent your own place? I am pretty clueless on manchester too so just going off what I've been told by friends, others that have done this course and what the student aid guy told me at Manchester college...

I 100% feel your pain with AR, just don't seem to be grasping it! Also the time pressure for QR seems pretty crazy to me. Just seem to run out of time so quickly. I haven't done overly much prep yet though. That starts next week for me so hopefully I will improve.

I believe we have mostly the same classes as the content for medicine is almost identical to the dentistry one, whether they're at the same time or not I am unsure.

Greg
Also, what's your background/age etc?

Greg
Reply 26
Hey, I haven't heard anything from them yet no response what so ever so annoyed with them at the moment. Just wondering did u get a letter or a call, going to ring them on Monday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bakar877
Hey, I haven't heard anything from them yet no response what so ever so annoyed with them at the moment. Just wondering did u get a letter or a call, going to ring them on Monday

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Got a letter from them. Yeah I would say calling is the best bet. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys. Just found out that at Nicholls campus (for access to dentistry at least) it starts on 2nd September with that week being induction and lessons starting on the 9th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I've been accepted on the Access to Medicine course at MANCAT due to start in September, and I still can't believe that I've got in! Part of me thinks that I must have been a wildcard, because I have no experience in a care/medical environment, and I was pretty open in the interview about the fact that I have done very little in terms of any work and education for the last 10 years.

Now that the initial shock of being accepted has passed, nerves are creeping in, and I feel massively under prepared. A number of people on the forum are already talking about UKCAT tests, and I wondered is this something we should be looking into before September? Or will this be discussed once we start the course?
Original post by Tipsychick86
Hi,

I've been accepted on the Access to Medicine course at MANCAT due to start in September, and I still can't believe that I've got in! Part of me thinks that I must have been a wildcard, because I have no experience in a care/medical environment, and I was pretty open in the interview about the fact that I have done very little in terms of any work and education for the last 10 years.

Now that the initial shock of being accepted has passed, nerves are creeping in, and I feel massively under prepared. A number of people on the forum are already talking about UKCAT tests, and I wondered is this something we should be looking into before September? Or will this be discussed once we start the course?

Hi an welcome to the forum!
Congratulations on getting a place. Which campus will you be going to? Nicholls or Northenden?

Whatever your background they obviously think you have the potential to succeed on this course and progress to medicine so believe in yourself a bit. The whole point of access is for people like us that've been out of education for a long time and realise later on in life the career path they really want.

With regards to the UKCAT, you need to be booking this as soon as possible. You register on the pearsons UkCAT site and need to pick a test centre near you. Registration has been open since may I believe and the dates run until some time in October, however it's recommended you take it as early as possible to help make your selection for medical/dental school wisely. I assume you'll be applying for medical school this September/October to start in September 2014?

There are a number of good books/websites to help you get used to the UKCAT, if you need help with this or anything else just ask and we'll gladly help.

Well done again, try to be excited about your future instead of nervous, and proud of yourself that you've jumped the first hurdle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not knowing how much you know it is worth mentioning not all Medical/dental schools require the UKCAT, though many do. Check out this link to show which Uni's do to see of you do need to take it; http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/who-takes-the-test/ukcat-universities/#.Ueeh2voayc0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Hi Greg,

Yes I'm at the northenden campus as its closer to home for me. I will be living with my parents this year as they live in south Manchester, Wilmslow.

My UKCAT is the end of Sep as away in August and iv had a letter of them saying my enrolment is this Wednesday so hopefully will get all the info about times and dates.

In regards to moving to Manchester I would say all the places off wilmslow road heading out of Manchester would be the most economical. Fallowfield and Didsbury are your best bet or some central Manchester places are nicer just more expensive.

Hope this helps and good luck. Have you looked at any uni options yet?

Nikki x
Original post by Greg Robertson
Hi an welcome to the forum!
Congratulations on getting a place. Which campus will you be going to? Nicholls or Northenden?

Whatever your background they obviously think you have the potential to succeed on this course and progress to medicine so believe in yourself a bit. The whole point of access is for people like us that've been out of education for a long time and realise later on in life the career path they really want.

With regards to the UKCAT, you need to be booking this as soon as possible. You register on the pearsons UkCAT site and need to pick a test centre near you. Registration has been open since may I believe and the dates run until some time in October, however it's recommended you take it as early as possible to help make your selection for medical/dental school wisely. I assume you'll be applying for medical school this September/October to start in September 2014?

There are a number of good books/websites to help you get used to the UKCAT, if you need help with this or anything else just ask and we'll gladly help.

Well done again, try to be excited about your future instead of nervous, and proud of yourself that you've jumped the first hurdle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice, I'll be at the Nicholls Campus, so hopefully I'll get to put some faces to these names!

Gonna head straight over to the pearsons site now :biggrin:
Original post by Tipsychick86
Thanks for the advice, I'll be at the Nicholls Campus, so hopefully I'll get to put some faces to these names!

Gonna head straight over to the pearsons site now :biggrin:

Yeah I'm starting there on September 2nd, on the Dentistry access but I believe some of our tutors are the same. So I'm sure we'll get to put faces together.

Do you know your timetable yet? Or at least what days you're going to be at college?

Get the UKCAT booked?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Greg,

Yes I'm at the northenden campus as its closer to home for me. I will be living with my parents this year as they live in south Manchester, Wilmslow.

My UKCAT is the end of Sep as away in August and iv had a letter of them saying my enrolment is this Wednesday so hopefully will get all the info about times and dates.

In regards to moving to Manchester I would say all the places off wilmslow road heading out of Manchester would be the most economical. Fallowfield and Didsbury are your best bet or some central Manchester places are nicer just more expensive.

Hope this helps and good luck. Have you looked at any uni options yet?

Nikki x

Hi Nikki,

Most people I've spoken to are going to Northenden campus, on here an NMM. I guess the Nicholls people are just being a bit quieter.

I've been reccommended Didsbury a few times now so am looking there. Is Withington okay? Think it's right next to Didsbury.

Yeah I know the Uni's I can apply to , with my GCSE's and this access course it limits me to KCL, Manchester, Newcastle and Bristol. Lucky I only have 4 spots on my UCAS form I guess haha.

You?

Greg x
Reply 36
Hi Greg,

Yes both Didsbury and Withington are nice.

I'm thinking St Andrews, Manchester, UCL and Leeds or Edinburgh. Cannot wait to start now. I'm in next Friday for enrolment now have you got times and dates yet? Oh and are you planning on going to any uni open days?

Nikki x
Hi Greg,

Yes both Didsbury and Withington are nice.

I'm thinking St Andrews, Manchester, UCL and Leeds or Edinburgh. Cannot wait to start now. I'm in next Friday for enrolment now have you got times and dates yet? Oh and are you planning on going to any uni open days?

Nikki x

Hi Nikki,

Great thanks for the info...still looking for somewhere at the moment! Getting a bit too close without somewhere lined up for my liking.

Sounds like a good mix of Uni's. how was enrolment? Did they give a breakdown of the course schedule to you? I'm unable to enrol until the end of August when I move back from Sweden! Which also means I unfortunately miss most Uni open days! You been to any yet?

Greg x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Hi

just to clarify, induction for Access to Dentistry is on the 3rd of Sept, Tuesday, not the 2nd for Nicholls.

I live in Didsbury, and can say the commute is not that bad. Buses to Piccadilly Gardens are abundant, so are the 201-205 ones that drop you off right at the entrance. They are all Stagecoach, which is great as the unirider will cover both.

The pain is going to be the size of the classes, as there are quite a lot of students on our course, and the new building with labs is still not finished. But I'm sure we'll manage.

Kristina
Original post by Sam00
Had my interview the other day and now waiting to find out the decision from the panel which is going to be a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed

Interview for college or uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending