The Student Room Group

Manchester College Access to Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Hi.
I have applied for dentistry at Nicholls campus . and just waiting to get a letter for interview . totally confused and don't know any thing about how they are going to interview me and testing math and English .!!!
Have no idea about those qus they a going to ask?

Hellllppppp please
Reply 41
Hi! I currently study with The Manchester College, and will safely say the English and maths tests easy enough. I'm unable to tell you the content, but as long as your working at, or towards Level 2, you will be fine. Maybe take a peek at a GCSE revision guide and see what you think. You will be allowed a pen and paper to calculate any workings. The English assessment contains correcting grammar, reading a short story and summarising it. As well as writing a short piece of work. May sound daunting but it is fine, honestly!

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Just a question to any who has done the course/doing the course With the access to medicine course. If I achieved say 58 out of the 60 credits. (Distinction in 4/5 in bio and chem 4/5 (merit in the other two). With distinction 5/5 with the maths/physics)... would that not be accepted at the medical schools?

K
Reply 43
Original post by K.archi
Just a question to any who has done the course/doing the course With the access to medicine course. If I achieved say 58 out of the 60 credits. (Distinction in 4/5 in bio and chem 4/5 (merit in the other two). With distinction 5/5 with the maths/physics)... would that not be accepted at the medical schools?

K

Totally depends on the Uni. They may adjust their offer and understand we can't all achieve Distinctions all the time! Other than that, can your college not offer you an additional unit? A couple of fellow students have had that option.
Reply 44
Original post by RyMc
Totally depends on the Uni. They may adjust their offer and understand we can't all achieve Distinctions all the time! Other than that, can your college not offer you an additional unit? A couple of fellow students have had that option.

Yeah, they just want machines! They mentioned that they are scrapping the extra units but would you say its worth still applying with those grades? I really wanted to get into manchester/keele if possible and would work full time in the hospital during the year as mental health support worker!

If only life was that simple
Reply 45
I think it's worth apply but speaking to admissions about it too. Not sure why they won't offer you additional units though! We've been offered two optional units in two subjects to make up for problems like this... (also at Manchester College!)... If you guys have a student rep, get them to pester your tutor to provide this option!
Reply 46
Original post by Sam00
I was rejected due to not having my GCSE maths at Grade B or above.

I did state this in my application prior to being interviewed so not sure why they invited me

Not sure if I want to reapply next year

Sorry to read that. Apply again next year. Maybe you can find somewhere to edit GCSE maths in the meantime. Do bit use learn direct though it isn't recognised. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey :smile:

Im starting the access to dentistry course this September 2014. Just wondering how you prospective students have got on and has anyone had offers either for Dentistry or Dental Hygiene and therapy?

Lindsey
I was also invited to interview even though I stated C at maths, I retook my maths GCSE this summer and if I get a B on results day late August I can start at Manchester college in September. However at least 2 unis I have visited (Manchester and Newcastle have said that because I already have an undergrad degree, although in a non medical field, that they won't even look at my GCSEs just my access course but I need maths GCSE at B to START the access course, where is the logic in that. It is something I am going to speak to Manchester college about in the event I don't get the B in maths.

Very frustrating:rolleyes:

Original post by RyMc
Sorry to read that. Apply again next year. Maybe you can find somewhere to edit GCSE maths in the meantime. Do bit use learn direct though it isn't recognised. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emmalooo12
I was also invited to interview even though I stated C at maths, I retook my maths GCSE this summer and if I get a B on results day late August I can start at Manchester college in September. However at least 2 unis I have visited (Manchester and Newcastle have said that because I already have an undergrad degree, although in a non medical field, that they won't even look at my GCSEs just my access course but I need maths GCSE at B to START the access course, where is the logic in that. It is something I am going to speak to Manchester college about in the event I don't get the B in maths.

Very frustrating:rolleyes:

Think they invite you for interview even if you have a C grade in maths or English because some students want to study dental hygiene and therapy. You only need a C grade and therefore you still get onto that course. Are you wanting to go on to medicine or Dentistry? Most universities want you do have B grade but there's around 4 that don't. This access course is meant to be very intense that's probably why they prefer you to have a B in maths particularly

Good luck :-)
Hi I got back from a prep day there today, I've always stated dentistry from the beginning so they've always know :wink: they said today that if I can get it in writing from Manchester and Newcastle that they don't want the B because I already have a degree then I'm good to go in September - yay! :smile: however that limits my choices for uni apps to 2 at the moment, haven't had the chance to go to other open days yet. Did you say there are 4 places that don't need the B ? What are they? Thanks and what's your situation at the moment ?

Original post by Lindsey87
Think they invite you for interview even if you have a C grade in maths or English because some students want to study dental hygiene and therapy. You only need a C grade and therefore you still get onto that course. Are you wanting to go on to medicine or Dentistry? Most universities want you do have B grade but there's around 4 that don't. This access course is meant to be very intense that's probably why they prefer you to have a B in maths particularly

Good luck :-)
Original post by emmalooo12
Hi I got back from a prep day there today, I've always stated dentistry from the beginning so they've always know :wink: they said today that if I can get it in writing from Manchester and Newcastle that they don't want the B because I already have a degree then I'm good to go in September - yay! :smile: however that limits my choices for uni apps to 2 at the moment, haven't had the chance to go to other open days yet. Did you say there are 4 places that don't need the B ? What are they? Thanks and what's your situation at the moment ?

Aww well fingers crossed for you...I've confirmed my offer so il see you in September 😊 it's gonna be a tough year but I'm definitely ready for it. Yeah I know manchester you need a B but newcastle, sheffield, glasgow and Liverpool accept C grades. It's all about the UKCAT have you looked into it? You need a high score to compete against the high grade A level students. Only so many people get interviewed and it's down to the UKCAT & personal statement. I've been a dental nurse for 8 years & I did A level biology over the last two years at night class while working. It's going to be so strange going back to full time education. I'm 26 now so def not getting any younger
Yeah I've been studying for it for a few weeks booking my test for end of August. Having gone through uni and the application process and being older I hope I can fill my personal statement with better experience than I did at 17 when I kinda fell into uni. I guess you weren't at the prep day today then ? I'm excited to get back into education, but not earning full time will be strange!

Aww well fingers crossed for you...I've confirmed my offer so il see you in September 😊 it's gonna be a tough year but I'm definitely ready for it. Yeah I know manchester you need a B but newcastle, sheffield, glasgow and Liverpool accept C grades. It's all about the UKCAT have you looked into it? You need a high score to compete against the high grade A level students. Only so many people get interviewed and it's down to the UKCAT & personal statement. I've been a dental nurse for 8 years & I did A level biology over the last two years at night class while working. It's going to be so strange going back to full time education. I'm 26 now so def not getting any younger

Good luck for this year to you both. It is pretty intense at times but if you tackle the work as it comes it is definitely manageable.
I would definitely advise getting your UKCAT done prior to starting the access course, many people on mine were struggling with it due to the start of the access ramping up right at the time they were doing it.
With the GCSE; great if you can get the letter, though for Sheffield and Liverpool certainly the better the grade the better your chances. Newcastle don't look at GCSE's for anyone now.
The access year will fly by! Enjoy it and good luck in your applications. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Hi there i was wondering if your are able to give me some advice .i am hoping to apply for the access to medicine course for the 2015 year . Is this course for mature learners such as 19 or above because i turn 19 next year and was hoping to apply for this course . AT the moment i am studying HND health and social care and i have experience in working in hospitals ,care homes . I have an average GCSE profile with majority B grades and 4 As . I was hoping i could get some advice on the course . Thank you
Reply 55
Original post by amyrose1991
I'm not sure, I only applied for Nicholls but I could have gone to any. I got my place by the way :smile:

Can u please explain me in detail each step in order to get into a medical school?
What qualification/grades/ did they ask you at the interview?
I have got my GCSE from Italy.
Will the medical schools and access to medicine courses accept me?
What kind of questions and assessment did u do?
How long did it take to you in order to study for the Ukcat? Is it hard? Any tips? Websites?
What are the Ukcat points required in order to get into a medical school? How did U apply for the university and which universities? How did u find the access to medicine course.
Sorry for a lot of questions but I really don't know about it that's why I am asking you.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Looking forward to your reply.
Hi guys can i can how old are you all? I am thinking of doing similar course
Hello! I'm currently studying on the access to med/dent/pharm/med sci at The Manchester College...just wondering if there are any more success stories? Did anyone secure a place at med school without distinctions across all units/modules? Did anyone manage to get the tutors to offer them additional units in order to get the distinction credits they needed?
Thanks!
Hello! I'm currently studying on the access to med/dent/pharm/med sci at The Manchester College...just wondering if there are any more success stories? Did anyone secure a place at med school without distinctions across all units/modules? Did anyone manage to get the tutors to offer them additional units in order to get the distinction credits they needed?
Thanks!

Quick Reply