Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does tipping in restaurants exist?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it. I don't get why I should feel like it's my duty to tip a girl off because she smiled and tried to look flirty with me and dupe me into tipping her. Essentially that's it - let's not pretend it's anything else. It's a case of a hot girl smiling, and being super attentive to a man in order to manipulate them into tipping them off. I find it immoral tbh.

Should I tip the milkman for bringing my milk? Should I tip the man at the cafe for bringing me my coffee? Why should I tip some golddigger for bringing me my food? Why does it even exist? This should be abolished. I abominate this golddigging manipulation.

I don't like how it feels like you're forced to tip out of respect. **** off.

Thoughts?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who cares, it netted me a fair bit of extra money when i was a waiter. I don't care why it exists but i'm glad it does
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're not necessarily obliged to tip though. In some Asian countries (Japan for example), you are not expected to tip at all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Because judging from your attitude you're probably a horrible customer and the poor girl deserves extra money for dealing with you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Tipping is meant to promote good service I guess - waiters/waitresses should only get tipped if they've done something beyond what's expected of them in their job though. At least, that's what I think! I don't mean go and make a dish that is not on the menu (though I would deffo tip for that!) but I suppose being polite and efficient and nice - I guess they're paid to give you the food, but not to be nice towards you....

I don't think it should be compulsory to tip though (it isn't in vast majority of the restaurants in the UK) - that would defeat the point. They already get paid to do what they do, why get extra for just doing their job? I usually tip if the staff have been friendly, received good food and the service has been quick. If everything's just been so-so then.....why tip? You already paid to eat there and for the food!! Plus, if everyone has to tip, then why would the server try to give better service? If tipping is compulsory, they should just add it onto the cost of the meal on the menu in the first place - it would be more polite that way

I wouldn't tip a waiter just cause he's good looking though, if they've been very helpful and attentive then sure - regardless of gender, haha!

edit: having said that, unless the service has been bad I usually round up to a decent whole number!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    I don't get it. I don't get why I should feel like it's my duty to tip a girl off because she smiled and tried to look flirty with me and dupe me into tipping her. Essentially that's it - let's not pretend it's anything else. It's a case of a hot girl smiling, and being super attentive to a man in order to manipulate them into tipping them off. I find it immoral tbh.

Should I tip the milkman for bringing my milk? Should I tip the man at the cafe for bringing me my coffee? Why should I tip some golddigger for bringing me my food? Why does it even exist? This should be abolished. I abominate this golddigging manipulation.

I don't like how it feels like you're forced to tip out of respect. **** off.

Thoughts?
    the tip is not because they are flirting with you... you should tip males aswell idiot

the tip is because they have to deal with your every request, bad jokes , or in your case just bad manners
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how much waiters and waitresses are paid for how much work they do?
    The wages we get are extremely unfair for how stressful and busy our jobs can be and they are allowed to stay that low with the general acceptance that we'll make it up with tips, which is not always the case at all.

Personally I don't expect tips, and I would gladly have tips banned in favour of being paid a more decent wage in the first place.

If you can avoid it, then by all means do not go into waiting :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)

Should I tip the man at the cafe for bringing me my coffee?
    Pretty sure they have tip jars.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Because waiting staff are on the minimum wage, often working long, unsocial hours and can barely afford to live off the money we earn.

And if a waitress thinks that you're likely to tip, then you'll get better service / they'll go the extra mile for you. I worked in one place where we weren't allowed to accept tips, and customers were treated with disdain, to the point of contempt, because we just didn't care.
    Err has it ever occurred to you that you could have got a different job? You shouldn't complain that you didn't care about the customers because you weren't allowed to take tips. What sort of a greedy attitude is that. Why should you expect a custoemr to tip you? It's not their fault it's low wages - you took the job.

'Tips' only encourages and brings out the greed in people as you have quite clearly demonstrated in this post you made.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham_Sandwich)
    Because judging from your attitude you're probably a horrible customer and the poor girl deserves extra money for dealing with you.
    Why because I'm honest and don't bull****? And also because I won't pander to some girl smiling at me and faking being nice? Tell me, go on

EDIT: Also tell me who are you to judge my attitude? Who are you exactly? Some wonderful amazing person? Get over yourself.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also - it is especially not "immoral".
    As I said, I don't expect tips, I certainly don't expect to just be given them. The "flirting" you have described is just being extra attentive to a customer, and generally they'll treat everyone the same way. You want them to do their job a bit poorer? Even though half the time their boss is the one pushing them to be so attentive so the customers will come back.

I'm done being reasonable, you aren't entitled to call waitresses immoral for doing their job. Until you have experienced what a crap job it is you aren't entitled to have such a ****ing superior opinion over me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I rarely tip, unless the waiter/waitress has actually done something that warrants a tip. In a lot of retaurants i'm treated with nothing more than contempt, I wouldn't even think of tipping them. There are worse jobs out there at lower wages.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopite493)
    the tip is not because they are flirting with you... you should tip males aswell idiot

the tip is because they have to deal with your every request, bad jokes , or in your case just bad manners
    My every request? What am I askign them to do that goes beyond the call of duty? I'm not asking them to scrub my feet for me during my meal. All they do for me is bring me my food and take it away at the end. Why should I tip anybody, man or woman for that? But I say women especially, because women will just fake being nice to men knowing that in return the man will be weak and tip them just because some pretty girl paid them attention - when really alot of these waitresses are just money centred *******s.

Sounds harsh, but true.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    Err has it ever occurred to you that you could have got a different job? You shouldn't complain that you didn't care about the customers because you weren't allowed to take tips. What sort of a greedy attitude is that. Why should you expect a custoemr to tip you? It's not their fault it's low wages - you took the job.

'Tips' only encourages and brings out the greed in people as you have quite clearly demonstrated in this post you made.
    Easier said than done for young people post recession. Tipping isn't mandatory, if you disagree with it don't do it, simple enough.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It generally exists because waiters and waitresses aren't paid very much in most places, so the tips go to them.
    Most restaurants operate a system where tips go into a money pot and all the waiters and waitresses get an equal share at the end of the week or month.
    I only tip if I feel the service has been particularly good
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megan.c)
    Also - it is especially not "immoral".
    As I said, I don't expect tips, I certainly don't expect to just be given them. The "flirting" you have described is just being extra attentive to a customer, and generally they'll treat everyone the same way. You want them to do their job a bit poorer? Even though half the time their boss is the one pushing them to be so attentive so the customers will come back.

I'm done being reasonable, you aren't entitled to call waitresses immoral for doing their job. Until you have experienced what a crap job it is you aren't entitled to have such a ****ing superior opinion over me.
    So how much do you get paid an hour?
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)

I did get a different job :dontknow: But that job is still in the same industry - because that's the only industry in which I have experience, and in which I can reliably get casual work. But the same industry very rarely pays anything above minimum wage. Not really sure what I'm meant to do about that whilst I'm still a student and can't commit to either full time or long term work, and whilst the economy is such that finding work in areas where you don't have experience is incredibly difficult.

The culture of not caring about customers, and not going the extra mile, was quite deeply ingrained in both staff and management, long before I started working there. One of the reasons for that was that - however hard we tried - we weren't allowed to take tips, so we were distinctly unmotivated. The fact that the customers were often drunk, rude and abusive didn't really help matters either.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    My every request? What am I askign them to do that goes beyond the call of duty? I'm not asking them to scrub my feet for me during my meal. All they do for me is bring me my food and take it away at the end. Why should I tip anybody, man or woman for that? But I say women especially, because women will just fake being nice to men knowing that in return the man will be weak and tip them just because some pretty girl paid them attention - when really alot of these waitresses are just money centred *******s.

Sounds harsh, but true.
    Oh Jesus you're making so a huge thing about tipping! Tip, don't tip, it's up to you, most people do, some don't, if you don't want to, don't... But don't make a big thing about those who do!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 5, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.