Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does tipping in restaurants exist?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the french for bad tipper is 'un anglais', or Englishman.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    I'm so disgusting aren't I. To not tip some person off for their FAKE customer service ... trying to pretend to be really friendly and caring when the reality is that they could well be a brat. Gratitude? Gratitude for what? For bringing me the meal I paid for? Yes I'm grateful for that ... and I say thanks for their service. But tipping them? I'm not one to be manipulated.
    What's with your avatar? Black person in orange............
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    I am naive? Says the 19 year old earning piss poor money in some poxy cafe. Well done. Honestly you're better off claiming JSA and chilling out. Now that is naive .. you'd probably earn more!
    Actually I can't claim JSA because I'm at uni, actually doing something to better myself.

You'd know if you actually read any of my posts.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For me it's always been 10% minimum, 15% for average and 20% for good service. Some people don't tip at all? We don't have the same tipping culture here as in the US, but I'm pretty shocked by that tbh.

(Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH)
    The staff in McDonald's prepare your food and give it to you. They allow you to choose how you have your food prepared, they don't check if you're ok but they do take care of any complaints you might have. Do you tip them? Even if they're really happy and serve you with a big smile? I'm assuming you don't, as it's not the norm in society.
    I do actually, let them keep the change. Even so, it is completely different. You don't get greeted at the door, taken to a table and waited on. At McDonalds you drive/walk up to the counter, order your food, wait, take it and drive/walk off. Nothing like what happens in a restaurant.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hravan)
    If you go to America you have to tip. In America tips make up the wait staff's wages, not on top of it.

To explain... Minimum wage in the UK is £6.08 an hour for over 21s and you know that your waiter/waitress will be getting that and that your tip is an extra on top of that. If we had the American system, the min wage would still be £6.08 an hour but they would only be paid about £3.50 an hour by their boss and they would have to make up the shortfall with their tips. Oh and they (the waiter/waitress) also have to give some of their tips to the chefs/people working in the kitchens.
    So even if the service isn't great, you do need to tip in America. (A lot of wait staff in America hate serving foreigners because we don't tip because we don't understand their tipping culture. )

You don't have to tip in the UK. I don't unless it was exceptional service. I get paid nat min wage and I don't get tips. (It doesn't really come up though because I can't actually afford to eat out )
    The tips make up their wages, indeed, but this is only so that the employer doesn't have to. If the employee doesn't reach minimum wage in their state via paid wages + tips, then the employer has to pay them the difference so that they do make minimum wage. See here: http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

This means that, basically, they have a tipping culture such that the customer directly pays for the employee's wages. Their hating serving foreigners because we don't 'understand' their tipping culture is all well and good, but what if we disagree with it? I don't want to pay someone else's wages just so that the restaurant company can profiteer from it. If, in this case, the wait staff still feel the need to hate me, then so be it.

I posted about this more in depth here, if you want to look.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    If an employee won't do their job properly unless they're given arbitrary amounts of change to perform a service they're already being paid for, they shouldn't be employed.

If they consider the work to be beneath them without being given tips, she should find another job.

I say this all as a former waiter and an individual who supports a good high wage for waiters/waitresses but no tipping.
    I never said that it was right or proper, just that it was what happened, and that not being allowed to take tips was one of the reasons for that. There was also little chance of being fired, short of assaulting your manager or having your fingers in the till, so that wasn't likely to worry people either.

A guaranteed living wage for waiting staff would be awesome. Until that happens, we have to scrape by on minimum wage.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    I never said that it was right or proper, just that it was what happened, and that not being allowed to take tips was one of the reasons for that. There was also little chance of being fired, short of assaulting your manager or having your fingers in the till, so that wasn't likely to worry people either.
    Then the practice and the running of the restaurant was just sub-par. If the restaurant can't even employ the right people, or at the very least, fire the bad ones, it wouldn't surprise me if the business tanked within a year.

A guaranteed living wage for waiting staff would be awesome. Until that happens, we have to scrape by on minimum wage.
    As far as I'm aware, most places won't pay minimum wages unless it's a very low earning cafe. Either way, that's capitalism for you. If you don't like it, work elsewhere. Unless the wage is illegally low (as in below the minimum wage), a private business has no culpability just because you want more money.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would tip loads of times if there was a £1 note! But it is difficult with a fiver.
    You would be pretty happy If you got tipped for doing what you are supposed to do.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Then the practice and the running of the restaurant was just sub-par. If the restaurant can't even employ the right people, or at the very least, fire the bad ones, it wouldn't surprise me if the business tanked within a year.

As far as I'm aware, most places won't pay minimum wages unless it's a very low earning cafe. Either way, that's capitalism for you. If you don't like it, work elsewhere. Unless the wage is illegally low (as in below the minimum wage), a private business has no culpability just because you want more money.
    I'm afraid to say that the company in question has been growing year on year.

I have very rarely been paid more than minimum wage (or about 10p above it) in any hospitality job, and I have worked in several. That applies to highly profitable multi-site companies as well as tiny independents, even when working late nights and bank holidays.

If companies want the best staff, then I am afraid that they have to pay above minimum wage to attract them. That's capitalism, after all. Companies pay bonuses to their staff, to keep them motivated and not hopping from company to company, and that's effectively what tips are to waiting staff.

Whatever you believe to be right, proper or correct, the fact is that when staff (in any industry) know that there is a realistic chance of being rewarded for doing more than the minimum (and let's not forget that promotion is often not a realistic option in such businesses, because they're family owned indepedents) then they are unlikely to do more than they have to to avoid the sack.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Because waiting staff are on the minimum wage, often working long, unsocial hours and can barely afford to live off the money we earn.

And if a waitress thinks that you're likely to tip, then you'll get better service / they'll go the extra mile for you. I worked in one place where we weren't allowed to accept tips, and customers were treated with disdain, to the point of contempt, because we just didn't care.
    Says a lot about the society that we live in. Unless there is money involved, you won't put in the effort that a job/activity requires?

Hypothetical situation

A person, that you don't know, is trapped in a car. Would you help them because it's the right thing to do, or because you think that you might make some money?
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol you need to visit Canada :rolleyes: They don't bother with the whole manipulative process...IT'S AUTOMATICALLY WITHDRAWN FROM WATEVA YOU PAYED
    Seriously, I remember going there on holiday, wondering where the hell the rest of my change was and then told by the waiter that tipping is a compulsory custom in Canada. I was not pleased

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tip if it's right, don't tip if it's not.

I get paid above minimum wage for a bartender/waiter, £5.52. I rarely get tips because the drinks are too expensive and they have nothing to share. I have made £30 on a night some times, but usually I make either nothing or less than a quid... And that's working 8 hours setting up for events for 100+ guests. Sometimes leaving at 3am because the guests stayed late. Do I complain about not getting tips? No. It's just how it is. I did get a £8 tip for pouring a single pint of Guinness once though, so that was awesome.

I went to an interview with another company... I think they paid their staff £6.50 or £7 an hour and said that some of the best staff can make £50 a day in tips. That's just a national restaurant, it's not something overly fancy. My place of work is fancy, but I don't do the fancy job - The restaurant has expensive food, I work the events, where people have most of their stuff paid for already.

My point is: I don't mind if you don't tip me - I am not looking to get tipped. Those other staff might care because they were told when they signed up that tips would be available. I was not told that. I was never under the illusion that I would be tipped. If I do get tips, then that's great, but I'm not relying on them.

Tip if you feel it was necessary. Don't tip if you disagree. It's slightly unfair how some careers expect to get tipped and the harder workers might not, but that's how it goes. You probably wouldn't tip the milkman, but they're not expecting it either.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    I'm not saying you're necessarily flirting as such ... but it's being clever with your sex, your looks and using it to sweeten men a bit. You wouldn't be acting super friendly if you met some fat balding 40 year old on the street would you? No. It's being clever and using that motivation of getting a tip which drives the over friendly customer service. From the polite talk to the guys and girls who stand by the exit and wave you goodbye. Pure arse licking for your money. Don't like.

(Original post by Skill)
    I'll tell you another reason I think it's actually 'immoral'.

These girls will claim that they provide customer service not because of the tip but because they want to provide good customer service.

Could you imagine if David Beckham or Richard Branson turned up at the restaurant ... you can bet your life that the waiter/waitress will try their utmost best to be as exceptionally friendly and polite and so on to get a nice tip. A hot girl will try be nice, flirt and smile with them and basically pander up to this guy and lick his arse just to get her tip off.

That's why I find tips immoral. I've just proven that the overly friendly customer service is actually rather fake and over the top. Because when a man with money appears, they'll do their best to get their tip. I'd say it's equal to prostitution when it comes to that.

(Original post by Skill)
    No they get paid bonus for selling a premium good that doesn't get sold often. Waiters are just banking on their politeness and overbearing friendliness. They wouldn't be so friendly outside of work so it's pure fake.
    I started reading this thread because people's thoughts on this interest me. Some people feel the need to tip, others feel the need to abstain from it. Thats just the difference in people, like why some people do or don't tip their taxi drivers, hairdressers or bar staff. Your attitude has unfairly been directed towards waitresses. What about the waiters that perhaps do the same thing? I'm not saying that neither waiters or waitresses do this, but don't assume that all or most waitresses are like that cause they're not. I can only assume from your attitude that the few times you have gone out to a restaurant, you have received poor standard service or perceived whatever poor waitress happened to be serving you, to have a fake attitude? As for the comparison to prostitution, that is the most ridiculous and offensive thing I have heard in a long time.

At the end of the day, if you don't know the business then don't judge. I've worked in restaurants where we don't get out till 3am and people have been signed off with stress because of all the things we have to deal with. Children being sick everywhere, drawing all over the booths/highchairs, people stealing condiments, peeing/deficating in the toilet areas rather than the actual toilet, people shouting and screaming at you because you didn't bring something to them with a click of the fingers. Can you honestly say you have to deal with that in your place of work?

I'm not saying that others don't have unpleasant things to deal with on a day-to-day basis, nor that waiting staff deserve and have the right to expect a tip, but don't you dare belittle a server for trying to earn a little extra money when they do far more than take an order and bring it to you with a fake attitude. Some of the nicest people I know are waiting staff.

At the end of the day, if you don't want to tip then don't tip. No need to take cheap shots at a profession most people don't have a choice in.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tipping is completely pointless.

The waiters make minimum wage; there are plenty of minimum wage jobs that don't get tips.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formerly Helpful_C)
    Says a lot about the society that we live in. Unless there is money involved, you won't put in the effort that a job/activity requires?

Hypothetical situation

A person, that you don't know, is trapped in a car. Would you help them because it's the right thing to do, or because you think that you might make some money?
    People are motivated by a number of things, including altruism, enjoyment and money.

In an environment where the staff do not enjoy their jobs, and the customers are prone to spitting at staff, sexually assaulting them and being abusive in an entirely unprovoked manner (as these customers were) altruism is unlikely to be a factor, so you are unlikely to be motivated by anything other than money. If you think waitresses / bar staff are in their job for anything other than the money then you are sadly deluded.

Tips are a form of performance related pay, and I don't hear complaints about that in other sectors (other than banking, where it appears it is not performance related at all).

Of course I would save the person. I'd be motivated by altruism. I don't think it's fair to take me from someone who points out that waitresses are motivated by tips, to someone who would let someone else die because they wouldn't be paid for their actions. The two are not, in any way, comparable.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but waitressing is hardly a terribly difficult and stressful job. There are far worse and far more stressful jobs out there that pay less. You can't use that bull**** excuse to justify "needing to be tipped"
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megan.c)
    Oh I'm very uneducated, I only got AABB in my A Levels so you know, not that smart at all.

I'm not being unreasonable, you insulted waitressing. It's an honest profession and we far from deserve the treatment that is seen as acceptable to us. Other people work minimum wage, but I can guarantee you we do more work to earn our wages, £6.50 is a lot more than how much I get paid if you consider how much that would boost your wages after a number of shifts.

I am trying to get a second, and even third job, I hand out CVs nearly every day but where I live there are few jobs for many, many people. I may well be 19, but being at university makes me less able to take on permanent positions with good hours. So stop being so naiive, it's an awful quality.

I have so much I want to say but I'm mature enough not to, and I would probably get a warning anyway.

You have treated me disgustingly, you seem to think you have a superior opinion over an entire profession and have no idea how lucky you are to have been able to get a job that pays well.

Maybe you should get a part time job with your apprenticeship to supplement your income? Waitressing perhaps?
    (Original post by Ham_Sandwich)
    Are you meant to know every single item in that shop at where/how/from what it's made at any give time? Are you meant to meant to know what's in stock and what isn't? And what's been popular? And whether that jumper has wool in it because the customer is allergic to it? Without your walkie-talkie or computer to check all this? Are you meant to remember what everyone in your shift bought? Do people come in and say that they'd really like this dress but in a different colour and expect you to ensure the manufacture makes one like it?
    well I work on a bar and I'm expected to know every single item that we sell down to the obscure malt whiskys that are sold so rarely that the same bottle has been there longer than I work there and every strange looking bottle on the counter. That includes the prices whats in it ect. Yes were meant to know whats in stock and whats popular and yes we have some customers who wont ( or can't I don't really know I've never asked them) drink anything made of certain things. I am expected to remember what people are drinking because otherwise they get arsey and my boss sometimes wants to know if that woman who came to the bar half an hour ago bought a coke or a vodka and coke because the girl shes with who doesn't have ID claims to just be drinking coke. and no we don't have walkie talkies or computers. People come in and say they really like this apart from "x" and expect you to provide a suitable alternative that will make them happy.

things that you havn't listed that I can think of that you do:
    yes waitress have to deal with horrible customers but barstaff definitely do that do. If you've never had a drunken customer smash a glass wave it in your face and tell you you deserve to be dead I don't think you have it that bad though.
    carrying lots of things around; crates and baralls
    being on your feet all day: yep
    constantly doing stuff never getting 5 minutes to stop: yep
    multiple customers telling you to do stuff with not enough time: yep
    expected to help out with other peoples jobs that aren't your own such as working in the kitchen: yep

basically yes most people in many jobs have to do very similar things.I use being a bar staff as an example as that is what I know but I have no doubt that many others do very similar things. I'm not trying to dispute that waitress work hard or say that people shouldn't tip but the idea that you work harder than anyone else on minimum wage is just annoying and down right insulting.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Having read the responses on here, I'm quite glad I almost always pay on card these days.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I tip because i use the same restaurants and don't want to risk them doing something to my food, so guess fear could be a reason.

It's a small price to pay to avoid a scrotum burger.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    well I work on a bar and I'm expected to know every single item that we sell down to the obscure malt whiskys that are sold so rarely that the same bottle has been there longer than I work there and every strange looking bottle on the counter. That includes the prices whats in it ect. Yes were meant to know whats in stock and whats popular and yes we have some customers who wont ( or can't I don't really know I've never asked them) drink anything made of certain things. I am expected to remember what people are drinking because otherwise they get arsey and my boss sometimes wants to know if that woman who came to the bar half an hour ago bought a coke or a vodka and coke because the girl shes with who doesn't have ID claims to just be drinking coke. and no we don't have walkie talkies or computers. People come in and say they really like this apart from "x" and expect you to provide a suitable alternative that will make them happy.

things that you havn't listed that I can think of that you do:
    yes waitress have to deal with horrible customers but barstaff definitely do that do. If you've never had a drunken customer smash a glass wave it in your face and tell you you deserve to be dead I don't think you have it that bad though.
    carrying lots of things around; crates and baralls
    being on your feet all day: yep
    constantly doing stuff never getting 5 minutes to stop: yep
    multiple customers telling you to do stuff with not enough time: yep
    expected to help out with other peoples jobs that aren't your own such as working in the kitchen: yep

basically yes most people in many jobs have to do very similar things.I use being a bar staff as an example as that is what I know but I have no doubt that many others do very similar things. I'm not trying to dispute that waitress work hard or say that people shouldn't tip but the idea that you work harder than anyone else on minimum wage is just annoying and down right insulting.
    When talking about waiting and barstaff I generally ship them together - my first job was doing both and many jobs I apply for it's just given that I'd be doing both unless the place doesn't have a bar.

So yes, I do know how difficult barwork is, I've done enough of it and class it under the same umbrella as Waiting.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 5, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.