The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by shahida07
Hey
I'm currently in my first year of med school in Romania, anyone wanting to ask qs, feel free :smile:

Which uni are you in?
I'm thinking of applying to constanta and cluj!
what studying abroad like ? also is the english course all english
Original post by LCx2
Which uni are you in?
I'm thinking of applying to constanta and cluj!
what studying abroad like ? also is the english course all english

I'm in Iasi
I would recommend Cluj, it's ranked higher, but Constanta is a really nice place
Yeah the course is English
Reply 82
can you apply to as many uni's abroad as you like or is there a limit like in the uk?

thanks in advance
Reply 83
Original post by Bullet Knuckle
Im about to finish my first year of medicine at Medical University of Plovdiv Bulgaria.
Ask me anything

How did you go about the application process ?
Reply 84
Iasi is one of my choices ! Would you recommend it ?

Original post by shahida07
I'm in Iasi
I would recommend Cluj, it's ranked higher, but Constanta is a really nice place
Yeah the course is English
Hello everyone, i'm a 3rd year...(well 4th year in september)medical student at Masaryk university in Brno, Czech republic. If you have any questions specifically about Masaryk university, then you can send me a message or reply to my post and i'll try to help. Regardless of where you're thinking of applying, it is paramount that you do proper research before packing your bags. Going abroad might not be the best option for a lot of students, who might end up finding this out too late, after spending a fortune.
Reply 86
Original post by Bunicornaces
Hello everyone, i'm a 3rd year...(well 4th year in september)medical student at Masaryk university in Brno, Czech republic. If you have any questions specifically about Masaryk university, then you can send me a message or reply to my post and i'll try to help. Regardless of where you're thinking of applying, it is paramount that you do proper research before packing your bags. Going abroad might not be the best option for a lot of students, who might end up finding this out too late, after spending a fortune.

What requirements do you need? Is it expensive? And if there is an entrance exam is it hard?
Original post by sufyb
What requirements do you need? Is it expensive? And if there is an entrance exam is it hard?

http://www.med.muni.cz/dokumenty/pdf/information_for_applicants_15_bez_fyzio_agent.pdf

The above link answers your questions, including tuition fees. I really can't remember if I found the entrance exams difficul now, it's been a while; but there are sample and past questions for the entrance exams here http://www.med.muni.cz/index.php?id=1381
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by Bunicornaces
http://www.med.muni.cz/dokumenty/pdf/information_for_applicants_15_bez_fyzio_agent.pdf

The above link answers your questions, including tuition fees. I really can't remember if I found the entrance exams difficul now, it's been a while; but there are sample and past questions for the entrance exams here http://www.med.muni.cz/index.php?id=1381

Is there a book or something to revise for the exams?
Original post by sufyb
Is there a book or something to revise for the exams?

The faculty of medicine has books for chemistry, physics and biology for the entrance exams. There are some prep courses in the UK (which I think are overpriced) that offer students the same books by the med fac once they have paid for the prep course. Alternatively, you can pop down to Brno on the open days and pick up the books for incredibly cheap at the bookshop. Your flight ticket + the cost of the books is absolutely nothing compared to the cost of those prep courses.
Original post by medicine_abroad
Applying to medicine can be an incredibly challenging process, from writing a perfect personal statement to obtaining offers.. applicants undergo extreme stress! However, even those who were successful in getting offers cannot rest in peace until results day which is approaching near very fast!! And for those who were not so successful, you may feel hopeless and unsure of what to do next in terms of your medicine career.
Studying medicine abroad is not necessarily the first option that may come to your mind while figuring out what to do. This is not an easy option, requires a lot of thought process and research. To make this easier for those of you who are already going through stress, I have created this thread! From personal experience, I will aim to answer all your questions..no matter how big or small!
I am currently studying medicine in Romania! I have just completed my first year and in october..I will be starting my second!! The course is taught entirely in English and yes you do have romanian language classes everyweek but not much emphasis is placed on learning the language although the faster you learn it, the better for later years! The course structure may be slightly different from UK medical schools but even in the UK, each medical school differs from one another.. The course content is pretty much the same when I compare to my other friends who are in UK medical school. The students orginate from all over the world...Greece, Turkey, Sweden, Norway, Israel, England, Germany...
The degree is recognised by WHO, GMC... which makes it possible to come back here and continue with our medical careers!
If you have any further questions..please ask! I am willing to answer as I know that this is a very difficult choice to make!! :smile:

Ive got two options going to university here and studying biomedicine at coventry or studying medicine abroad. Which one would you recommend as i am hiving a hard time choosing as i havent applied to study medicine abroad and im planning on going bulgaria. Also could you tell me what its like studying medicine in Romania and if it is hard to interact with the people there. Also if you could tell me what the career prospects are like for people with a biomedical degree.

Thank you
Original post by lewistan
I have been accepted by Palacky uni in Olomouc and by Charles uni In Prague, both in Czech Republic for the the 6 year doctor of medicine programme. Does anyone know how the two courses and unis compare to each other, any advise? Thanks

hi, i know it's been a long time since you posted this.

but how did you apply to these universities, i mean you can't apply through ucas so do you apply through an agency or the uni's websites, please let me know it would be really helpful.
Reply 92
Original post by kish667
Ive got two options going to university here and studying biomedicine at coventry or studying medicine abroad. Which one would you recommend as i am hiving a hard time choosing as i havent applied to study medicine abroad and im planning on going bulgaria. Also could you tell me what its like studying medicine in Romania and if it is hard to interact with the people there. Also if you could tell me what the career prospects are like for people with a biomedical degree.

Thank you

Only you can decide on the next step but I can tell you that my son decided against biomed and applied abroad. He is starting at the Uni of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina mf.unsa.ba this October. Closing date 28 August. The course is recognised by the GMC, might have to do PLAB but the lady from the GMC has said that they are introducing PLAB for all students, including the UK graduates, so in six years' time it won't matter. No agent required, they have 23 places left. No interview, no entrance exam - they are introducing the course this year. I think it will be more difficult to get in next year. They look at GCSEs and A levels equally. In any case, good luck whatever you decide! To add, if you really want to be a dr, just start now. There is no guarantee you'll get in after biomed. Starting medicine now - you will know what you are working towards. Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys I was just wondering if there any students here studying at Palacky or Charles in Czech Republic?

I just wanted to know a little bit about your experience there (standard of teaching, university life/city life etc) And whether you think it is/has been worthwhile? I mean the only thing putting me off so far is the very high attrition rate :/

And how is living in another country/learning Czech and Latin?

I really want to study medicine but missed my offer this year so am looking to apply for entry in Sept 2016

Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Hey guys I was just wondering if there any students here studying at Palacky or Charles in Czech Republic?

I just wanted to know a little bit about your experience there (standard of teaching, university life/city life etc) And whether you think it is/has been worthwhile? I mean the only thing putting me off so far is the very high attrition rate :/

And how is living in another country/learning Czech and Latin?

I really want to study medicine but missed my offer this year so am looking to apply for entry in Sept 2016

Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a long chat about this with my parents and did some research. My opinion is if you apply yourself and take your studies seriously you will get through.

I am applying to Charles 1st, Masaryk and Palacky University to give myself the best chance and sitting the exams over three consecutive weekends in April.
Original post by Cooliomed
I had a long chat about this with my parents and did some research. My opinion is if you apply yourself and take your studies seriously you will get through.

I am applying to Charles 1st, Masaryk and Palacky University to give myself the best chance and sitting the exams over three consecutive weekends in April.

I really hope so it's just I hear these horror stories about people failing over petty things and there being a really hard curriculum over in Europe but I guess you're right, if we work hard and I guess more importantly work smart, we should be alright

Out of interest, how come you're not applying in England?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hope so it's just I hear these horror stories about people failing over petty things and there being a really hard curriculum over in Europe but I guess you're right, if we work hard and I guess more importantly work smart, we should be alright

Out of interest, how come you're not applying in England?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not going to get a AAA profile, more like AAB.

I think the reason for those stories is people who fail tend not be have enough maturity to take responsibility for their own ineptitude and it is easier to blame someone else or "the system". Many of these universities are older and more prestigious than most UK unit and Palacky has been around since 1590 or something like that, so imagine they have high standards, but they should if we are paying the fees.

Found out that a doctor who does face transplants in the USA is actually from palacky university which got me looking at that university. If it was good enough for him lol!
Not going to get a AAA profile, more like AAB.

I think the reason for those stories is people who fail tend not be have enough maturity to take responsibility for their own ineptitude and it is easier to blame someone else or "the system". Many of these universities are older and more prestigious than most UK unit and Palacky has been around since 1590 or something like that, so imagine they have high standards, but they should if we are paying the fees.

Found out that a doctor who does face transplants in the USA is actually from palacky university which got me looking at that university. If it was good enough for him lol!

Ah I see, but don't give up hope!! Some unis might let you in with AAB anyway so keep Europe as a back up, I've already taken a year out so if I don't get into med in uk this year I'm trying Europe :smile:

I guess that's true, and also if people can get in with lower grades/poor ps they may think medicine is for them but drop out/fail without working for it

Yeah I saw that too! Sounds pretty cool aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah I see, but don't give up hope!! Some unis might let you in with AAB anyway so keep Europe as a back up, I've already taken a year out so if I don't get into med in uk this year I'm trying Europe :smile:

I guess that's true, and also if people can get in with lower grades/poor ps they may think medicine is for them but drop out/fail without working for it

Yeah I saw that too! Sounds pretty cool aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go for it. Palacky was my favourite but then Charles 1st and living in Prague!!! Know of a lot who have gone to Masaryk in Brno and the city does look amazing as does the university building.

Have you registered for the exams yet?
Go for it. Palacky was my favourite but then Charles 1st and living in Prague!!! Know of a lot who have gone to Masaryk in Brno and the city does look amazing as does the university building.

Have you registered for the exams yet?

Yeah I think I will :smile: I know someone at Palacky and she loves it, oh right I'll look into that

For the entrance exams? I've registered for the one in June in London, I'm retaking my alevels as well but haven't registered for those yet lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending