Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Why is it so hard to find a job in London?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,why is it so hard to find a job in london nowdays?
    I've studied photography,computer networking,and audio engineering and i'm searching for 1+ year a job at any field(for example barman,waiting staff etc)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably because so many people live in londan
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course population plays a role,but it's not just that,you can easily find in new york,LA for example
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to get a job everywhere, I live in the dullest city, Hull, and I must of applied for about 25 jobs and handed a s**t load of CV's in, about 5% replied to me too notify I wasn't successful. The rest just seem to ignore you and don't respect the fact you have made effort to offer your services to their business. Fustrating

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonP)
    Hello everyone,why is it so hard to find a job in london nowdays?
    I've studied photography,computer networking,and audio engineering and i'm searching for 1+ year a job at any field(for example barman,waiting staff etc)
    Not to be rude, but perhaps it's you? Maybe seek advice in the CV forum to improve your prospects of making it to interview? Might help.

(Original post by M4LLY)
    Probably because so many people live in londan
    More people tends to equal more jobs right? It's all relative.

(Original post by LeonP)
    Of course population plays a role,but it's not just that,you can easily find in new york,LA for example
    Have you previously found jobs 'easily' in New York and LA? :eek: Can't imagine it would be any easier.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    if you can't find a job that's your fault
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smd4std)
    if you can't find a job that's your fault
    and it's your fault you are an utter heartless ass

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's hard everywhere, I wouldn't say it was particularly harder in London. There may be more people competing for every job but on the flip side there's also a hell of a lot more jobs out there than in the provincial cities.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just due to the economical state, unemployment as we all know is on a high but it's not impossible to find jobs.
    They are out there, just takes some perseverance and the most important thing in life I have learned is "connections". They are your break, if you have the right connections you won't find it hard.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    Just due to the economical state, unemployment as we all know is on a high but it's not impossible to find jobs.
    They are out there, just takes some perseverance and the most important thing in life I have learned is "connections". They are your break, if you have the right connections you won't find it hard.
    Am I the only one who thinks that 'connections' is just a fancy words that essentially mean you couldn't make it yourself?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's probably easier to get a job in London than in most other places.

Of course, though, it's very difficult to get a job anywhere nowadays, especially for people of our generation.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Getting a job in London is a matter of how much you want it. If you treat finding work like a full time job, you'll get one eventually.

An acquaintance of mine moved to London from Ireland. He spent a couple of days working on his CV, which he then printed off en masse. He left the house every day at 9am, and came back at 5pm, spending all the time in between going speculatively into businesses and giving his CV to managers. After doing this daily for almost a fortnight, he got a job in a clothes store.

This guy had no qualifications and a patchy work history, but he hustled for work and he got it. If you want a job in this climate, you need to do the same.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gtfo)
    Getting a job in London is a matter of how much you want it. If you treat finding work like a full time job, you'll get one eventually.

An acquaintance of mine moved to London from Ireland. He spent a couple of days working on his CV, which he then printed off en masse. He left the house every day at 9am, and came back at 5pm, spending all the time in between going speculatively into businesses and giving his CV to managers. After doing this daily for almost a fortnight, he got a job in a clothes store.

This guy had no qualifications and a patchy work history, but he hustled for work and he got it. If you want a job in this climate, you need to do the same.
    stroke of luck?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are fewer job opportunities available everywhere, but there are definitely many more available in London than in other parts of the country. Within six weeks of moving down to London to undertake a paid internship I had managed to secure full time employment.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because London is a huge city with a huge amount of people in it, it was named 'the sixth largest french city' [at least thats what i think the BBC said] so imagine how many other foreign workers let alone British workers are there trying to find a job. I mean its barely English any more its a true international city
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    simple: there is a large amount of people per vacancy. Every job probably has like 100 people applying for it. It's ridiculous! How is someone without experience supposed to compete for such a job?!? :eek:
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    More people tends to equal more jobs right? It's all relative.
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    It's hard everywhere, I wouldn't say it was particularly harder in London. There may be more people competing for every job but on the flip side there's also a hell of a lot more jobs out there than in the provincial cities.
    If there are more people and more jobs, don't those two factors just balance each other out so that it's still relatively about the same difficulty to get a job as it is in places with less people and fewer jobs?

I live in London (outer suburbs) and I've had periods over the past 4 years where I've tried very hard to apply for so many jobs all over London but with zero luck in results. It's only very recently that I now finally have a job, albeit it's only temporary and connected to the Olympics, so if it wasn't for that I'd probably still be jobless right now!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What kind of jobs are you guys talking about?
    If you just need money to survive for example while studying, it seems to me it's not that hard to get a job, even if it means take orders at tables in some restaurant...but if you are looking for a management position in a bank, well things change..so please let's try to be more precise when you talk about this stuff
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gtfo)

Anecdotes are a really poor form of evidence. Often exaggerated or just made up, always based on small population sizes and absolutely overflowing with confirmation bias.

Too many forget the countless numbers of people who come to London filled with hope, optimism and a thousand copies of their CV and find sweet FA.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    If there are more people and more jobs, don't those two factors just balance each other out so that it's still relatively about the same difficulty to get a job as it is in places with less people and fewer jobs?

I live in London (outer suburbs) and I've had periods over the past 4 years where I've tried very hard to apply for so many jobs all over London but with zero luck in results. It's only very recently that I now finally have a job, albeit it's only temporary and connected to the Olympics, so if it wasn't for that I'd probably still be jobless right now!
    That was my point, the OP was saying that it was harder in London when it's no harder or easier than anywhere else. The difference is that in London there actually are jobs for graduates while there aren't in smaller cities. I'm currently caught in the trap where I've graduated and I'm too qualified for most jobs in my hometown but can't afford to move to London until I save some money. It's a total catch 22.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 10, 2013
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.