The Student Room Group

2:2 **** knows what to do - Input appreciated...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I got 53% in first year, 57% in second year.. so needed 63% in third year to get a 2:1 and i got 65% :smile: which gave me 61% overall from UCL!
Reply 21
ofcourse getting into masters is easier than undergrad, as its less competitive. What a dumb thing to say?!? :angry:
Reply 22
Original post by Fynch101
Don't even think about doing an Msc Economics with a 2:2. Maybe an MA, but even that is pushing it...

Accounting I'm not sure about, should be okay but whats the point when you can just do ACCA somewhere?

Read the final paragraph...
Reply 23
Original post by Venom123
Basically, never in my life would I have thought I'd get a 2:2 but here I am. I could list the 'If I did', 'I blame', 'If only...' but pointless to go through all that now.

I studied Accounting with Economics and obtained 56%
1st year: obtained 64%

2nd year: obtained pathetic 51%
After receiving the results I juggled in my mind with doing 2nd year again at another university but just thought obtaining a 65% should really be obtainable. But alas...

3rd year: obtained 60%

I'm looking to do a masters in Marketing but no idea where to really apply...
Anyone who has been in this position what would you recommend?

Thanks

Teaching maybe ??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 24
Original post by M1011
They only get the last laugh if you let them.

Let's be honest, we're all graduates here, so lets ask some blunt questions; What real value is there in a degree (i.e. how much do your really feel will be applicable to real life)? Frankly, sod all unless it's a select few vocational degrees. How much will a degree matter 5 years down the road when you're an experience professional? Not a bit, just a CV decoration. A degree has one purpose IMO (unless you love the subject or something), we go to university and get a degree in order to land a good job at the end of it. That's the truth of the matter, so however you look at it job > degree.

If you want the last laugh, you get out there and you get the best job you can. A 2.2 hurts your prospects, but it doesn't eliminate your chances by a long shot. Do your research and find the companies that don't demand a 2.1. Take Unilever for example (if you haven't heard of them, they make literally everything). Unilever is a blue chip global company which offers a wide array of graduate career paths and great prospects, not to mention they rank highly on the times top 100 graduate employers. They require a 2.2. You may not be interested in that particular company (although they do have a finance scheme), but it's just an example of what is available out there (I sound like a Unilever recruiter lol). To be honest if you land a company like Unilever, you'll have done better then the vast majority of 2.1/1st holders, so who will have the last laugh then?

Job > degree, if you want redemption and that 'feel good' factor back, land yourself a great job :smile:

Agreed. We shall see. You've probably increased Unilevers applications by like 30% lol.
Reply 25
Hated my degree also, in the beginning of second year I remember going to careers advice/student support to tell them this.

I remember distinctly I got a *Chuckle* 'It's too late to change now'.
Reply 26
I'll be working as an Accountant, and trust me, NO ONE gets out of bed in the morning thinking 'yay can't wait to crunch those numbers'.

And I got a solid 2:1 as well, as I posted in the other results thread, dossing was the order of the day from year 1-3. I ended up with the same grade as people who are 10 times more hardworking than I am, and the funny thing is, I also have a job to show for it. I have no doubt in my mind that if I put in a quarter of the work some of my peers did, I'd have an IB job and a 1st class degree.

Alas I was lazy, so I ended up in a top 4 firm with a 2:1. Ah wells.

PS. Not trying to scare people about 3rd year. I don't know what your degree was in, so can't judge the difficulty. But having to average 65+ in 3rd year without any room for error IS a pressure situation. 1 bad midterm with enough weighting, 1 bad module in the first semester literally leaves you dead in the water. Anyone who denies this is not being truthful.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by DaneCook
I'll be working as an Accountant, and trust me, NO ONE gets out of bed in the morning thinking 'yay can't wait to crunch those numbers'.

And I got a solid 2:1 as well, as I posted in the other results thread, dossing was the order of the day from year 1-3. I ended up with the same grade as people who are 10 times more hardworking than I am, and the funny thing is, I also have a job to show for it. I have no doubt in my mind that if I put in a quarter of the work some of my peers did, I'd have an IB job and a 1st class degree.

Alas I was lazy, so I ended up in a top 4 firm with a 2:1. Ah wells.

Agreed, I was lazy as well but left everything too late come 2nd year. That's why I feel the course was 'easy' and it's embarrassing I obtained a 2:2. If you worked consistently could easily obtain a 2:1 even a pushing a 1st.

Accounting with Economics would've been a nice degree to have a 2:1 in as well.
Reply 28

PS. Not trying to scare people about 3rd year. I don't know what your degree was in, so can't judge the difficulty. But having to average 65+ in 3rd year without any room for error IS a pressure situation. 1 bad midterm with enough weighting, 1 bad module in the first semester literally leaves you dead in the water. Anyone who denies this is not being truthful.

Again agreed, I was lucky that I chose a module that had 100% coursework so I bagged a 78% in first semester so I was able to be positive throughout.

Else motivation would've faltered/waned if I had performed poorly.
Reply 29

I don't know about that. I think some people might be getting out of bed thinking 'I can't wait to crunch those numbers all the way to a six figure salary' :tongue:
Reply 30
Original post by M1011
I don't know about that. I think some people might be getting out of bed thinking 'I can't wait to crunch those numbers all the way to a six figure salary' :tongue:

Good point. Money's my only motivator at the moment. I might bail into Industry once I'm chartered. What's your 5 year plan?

PS. Don't get me wrong, I have a fair bit of passion for what I do, but it's just a means to an end really. Doesn't mean I don't plan on being top dog though :wink:.
Reply 31
Good point. Money's my only motivator at the moment. I might bail into Industry once I'm chartered. What's your 5 year plan?

PS. Don't get me wrong, I have a fair bit of passion for what I do, but it's just a means to an end really. Doesn't mean I don't plan on being top dog though :wink:.

Oh no doubts over here, definitely bailing within 5, probably less. Don't know about you but I'm in Audit (Corporate - TMT), so while I believe it's valuable experience and definitely worthwhile getting qualified (ka-ching so to speak), I doubt it's going to be the most thrilling intellectual work. I imagine I'll be ready to move on and take the 10k+ pay bump in industry when the opportunity arises, or possibly move internally if something more interesting is available. Which firm are you joining?
Reply 32
Original post by M1011
Oh no doubts over here, definitely bailing within 5, probably less. Don't know about you but I'm in Audit (Corporate - TMT), so while I believe it's valuable experience and definitely worthwhile getting qualified (ka-ching so to speak), I doubt it's going to be the most thrilling intellectual work. I imagine I'll be ready to move on and take the 10k+ pay bump in industry when the opportunity arises, or possibly move internally if something more interesting is available. Which firm are you joining?

Well not leaving before I qualify, so 3 atleast. I'm in Tax (Corporate) Ernst & Young. Moving into Corporate Finance (Transactions) after Year 2 though. You?

Well you're right about qualifying not being the most thrilling thing, but like you I'll definitely be holding out for the industrial pay bump. Guessing we could be on 40k+ after qualifying. So would really be looking at whatever opportunities come my way, I definitely want be over 40k in 5 years. 50-60k as an industrial starter with over 3 years experience in a top 4 firm is what I'm expecting.

I'll even consider a move into Finance/ IB if the opportunity comes my way.
Original post by poony
It depends on which uni. you are planning to apply, top uni. usually will not take anything under 2:1. With the current economic climate, it's even harder to get into a good uni. for masters.

For example, Bath, Leeds & Durham asked for 2:1 as minimum.

If you couldn't get into a reputable uni. for the course, is it worth paying the £10k

Since you did Accounting & Economics, have you ever considered studying for ACCA ?

This isn't necessarily always the case. The masters I'm doing at Warwick required a 2:2, and Warwick isn't exactly a second class Uni. Its just that they were more keen on your experience, references and passion for the subject.

OP - Have you considered BPP University College? Its a private university with campuses in London and other major cities, and it also has decent links with employers. Having had a quick look at their site it seems that both their International marketing and Professional marketing MSc only require a 2:2, so you're good to go for it :smile:

Here's the link: http://www.bpp.com/postgraduate-course-listing/listing/postgraduate/883?p
Reply 34
Well not leaving before I qualify, so 3 atleast. I'm in Tax (Corporate) Ernst & Young. Moving into Corporate Finance (Transactions) after Year 2 though. You?

Well you're right about qualifying not being the most thrilling thing, but like you I'll definitely be holding out for the industrial pay bump. Guessing we could be on 40k+ after qualifying. So would really be looking at whatever opportunities come my way, I definitely want be over 40k in 5 years. 50-60k as an industrial starter with over 3 years experience in a top 4 firm is what I'm expecting.

I'll even consider a move into Finance/ IB if the opportunity comes my way.

Interesting, I've not heard of someone moving service lines whilst studying before, always associated a move of service line as a post-qualification thing. Is that a normal route with E&Y or something you agreed on personally? I think Corporate Finance - Transactions is likely to be more interesting then Tax/Audit, so good move there.

Not sure about E&Y, but I've been told to expect about 43-45k by the end of year 3 (qualification) at Deloitte. I've heard similar from a PWC grad on here, I imagine it's much the same across the big 4. TBH I'm not sure I could stomach IB, from what I hear the work isn't actually that difficult (for most roles anyway), more of an endurance test really. 80 hour weeks just aren't worth it in my opinion, there's a line and that goes to far past it. But then the money is a substantial lure, very hard to turn down if it comes along :redface:

Personally I could potentially see myself ditching finance within 5 years and then potentially moving back at a later date. It would appear chartered accountants have a lion share representation in the board room of major companies, but I think it's well worth getting some product experience as well, possibly on the buy side which looks quite interesting and preferable to sales imo. But who knows really, to early to tell what we'll be thinking three years down the line :tongue:
Basically, never in my life would I have thought I'd get a 2:2 but here I am. I could list the 'If I did', 'I blame', 'If only...' but pointless to go through all that now.

I studied Accounting with Economics and obtained 56%
1st year: obtained 64%

2nd year: obtained pathetic 51%
After receiving the results I juggled in my mind with doing 2nd year again at another university but just thought obtaining a 65% should really be obtainable. But alas...

3rd year: obtained 60%

I'm looking to do a masters in Marketing but no idea where to really apply...
Anyone who has been in this position what would you recommend?

Thanks

Hey, if it's any comfort, as a graduate with a 2.2, I can appreciate where you're coming from as I went through similar emotions when I graduated 9 years ago (eeek long time now!). My 2.2 still 'haunts' me to this very day, but thanks to my postgrad study, it is very rarely is mentioned by anyone these days but I know it's lurking in the background.......

Despite what you might think, it IS possible to get onto MScs and doctorates with a 2.2 qualification- (well I managed to get onto 3 different MScs and 2 doctorates in psychology/social science!). However, it may require extra determination and ability to defend yourself. Also don't apply to unis which have a strict 2.1 criteria, look for unis which consider applicants with 2.2s.

I found good unis such as UCL surprisingly accomodating of people with 2.2s, well for one of my MScs anyway and I loved my time at UCL. I really didn't think I stood a chance at UCL, but I managed to get in and leave with a good MSc classification from UCL. Prior to applying for MSc study, I would always check with the uni beforehand as to whether they would accept people with 2.2s. Also landed a psychology graduate job from UCL in my final year of my PhD, so I was well chuffed! :smile:

Best of luck. As a graduate with a 2.2, I'll be happy to answer any questions. You're not alone.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by M1011
Interesting, I've not heard of someone moving service lines whilst studying before, always associated a move of service line as a post-qualification thing. Is that a normal route with E&Y or something you agreed on personally? I think Corporate Finance - Transactions is likely to be more interesting then Tax/Audit, so good move there.

Not sure about E&Y, but I've been told to expect about 43-45k by the end of year 3 (qualification) at Deloitte. I've heard similar from a PWC grad on here, I imagine it's much the same across the big 4. TBH I'm not sure I could stomach IB, from what I hear the work isn't actually that difficult (for most roles anyway), more of an endurance test really. 80 hour weeks just aren't worth it in my opinion, there's a line and that goes to far past it. But then the money is a substantial lure, very hard to turn down if it comes along :redface:

Personally I could potentially see myself ditching finance within 5 years and then potentially moving back at a later date. It would appear chartered accountants have a lion share representation in the board room of major companies, but I think it's well worth getting some product experience as well, possibly on the buy side which looks quite interesting and preferable to sales imo. But who knows really, to early to tell what we'll be thinking three years down the line :tongue:

Yeah you can request to move service lines while qualifying, i.e. Secondment. It's all in the name of accumulating 'experience' across the firm. I think it's pretty beneficial, one of the main reasons I'm in Corp Tax is due to 'standardised' hours. IB is obviously the extreme difference to this, so it'll be nice to see if I can pull it off.

43-45k post qualification is a bit of stretch, but you never know :biggrin:
Reply 37

I've seen people sh*t their pants because they were on a 60% average for second year

:eek:

Literally? :confused:

Original post by M1011

Also, what was your weighting system? Like 10% first year, 45% second and third year? You'd have got your 2.1 at my university, weightings are 10%, 15% and 75% for final year. That's annoying :frown:

I hate that sort of system! :colonhash: Why can't they just follow the CGPA system? That way 1st year until the final year would be counted equally.

I suppose so, just disheartening seeing others getting 2:1s whilst you worked and they partied, and even had the nerve to call you 'sad' for not going out to party with them.

I guess I they got the last laugh.

NO! Don't think like this! You've put effort; you'll see it pay one day. Don't tell yourself they've partied and you don't but you got bad marks. No. Who knows during your Masters and PhD, all you effort from the UG will be reflected back?

:hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Yeah you can request to move service lines while qualifying, i.e. Secondment. It's all in the name of accumulating 'experience' across the firm. I think it's pretty beneficial, one of the main reasons I'm in Corp Tax is due to 'standardised' hours. IB is obviously the extreme difference to this, so it'll be nice to see if I can pull it off.

43-45k post qualification is a bit of stretch, but you never know :biggrin:

Ah yes secondments, I've already starting making enquires about those. Didn't realise you could take a whole year, certainly sounds encouraging! As for the 43-45k, I'm basing that on speaking to current grads, seems the norm providing nothing drastic happens in the mean time :wink:
Reply 39
Original post by kka25
:eek:

Literally? :confused:

I hate that sort of system! :colonhash: Why can't they just follow the CGPA system? That way 1st year until the final year would be counted equally.

NO! Don't think like this! You've put effort; you'll see it pay one day. Don't tell yourself they've partied and you don't but you got bad marks. No. Who knows during your Masters and PhD, all you effort from the UG will be reflected back?

:hugs:

CGPA is worse in some situations. Most people arn't very serious in their first year and also most CGPA universities in North America dont allow resits or even if they do they average your overall grade by using both the old and new mark. Also its a bit easier to leave with a 2:1 or 2:2 rather than have to worry about every single decimal in the cgpa system.

Quick Reply

Latest