The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Life & accommodation at MMU Cheshire (Crewe)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Hey ,
I am currently an Irish student , I received an offer to do sport and exercise science in mmu crewe. I am in the process of making the decision whether or not to take this course I love sports and science so I know I would love the course I am just wary of moving countries.

Just wondering if anyone could provide me information on crewe as a town, MMU and anyone else's experiences, thanks :smile:
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 341
Hey, I'm Irish and made the move to Crewe last year. There is a surprising amount of Irish/Northern Irish here already, so don't be worried about being stuck on your lonesome.

I came from Belfast, so it's a pretty small town to me. Shopping wise, you probably won't visit the town center much. I do most of mine online or in Manchester. Nightlife wise, you have two nights out, Tuesdays in The Box and Wednesdays in the student union. A plus is that all students are packed together, so booth halls and the old halls do have a lot of parties. There is generally things to do.

Crewe is a main intersection for the railways, so there is no difficulty jumping on train for a night out in bigger cities like Manchester or Liverpool and you always have Hanley and Nantwich down the road.

In regards to your course, I can't comment as I don't do a sports course. But if you need any specific information about Crewe or the university let me know and I'll get back to you.
Reply 342
Thank you so much for replying , knowing that there is people in the same situation makes the move just that little bit easier!

Would you think it would be a good move? I'm from Sligo town myself so a small town would be nothing new to me! , homesickness is what I fear most. Any tips on that?
Hello, I'm from the Netherlands studying at the MMU for a year next year. I'll also be staying at Crewe. Can someone tell me how transport works? On google maps it looks like the MMU is at least 30 miles from Crewe!!
Original post by Brochacho
Hello, I'm from the Netherlands studying at the MMU for a year next year. I'll also be staying at Crewe. Can someone tell me how transport works? On google maps it looks like the MMU is at least 30 miles from Crewe!!

The All Saints campus is in Manchester. The Cheshire campus is in Crewe. You will be studying at the Cheshire campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm looking for 2 students (boys or girls) to take mine and another persons space in a clean modern house on Nantwich Road for September.(as me and the other person want to stay in a smaller house).
It's a 6 bed house with 4 other boys.
There is a big bedroom for £62 a week, and a medium size bedroom for £58 a week. (without bills included - landlord has said bills are minimal).
The house also has 2 bathrooms and a car parking space.
Please message me for more details
hey guys, i'm moving to crewe in september for my degree in sports science, hopefully going to be moving into Booth halls. anyone can let me know on what the nightlife is like around crewe and if there are any good gyms? im so nervous towards the move, ive heard mixed things about the area and would love to know, cheers!
Reply 347
The night life is pretty quiet, two student nights during the week and other than that there is no nightclubs in Crewe, you'll be going to Hanley, Nantwich or one of the major cities. We are in the process of working out more nights and events, specifically for the weekend. All that info will hit the freshers pages come August.

In regards to gyms, they only ones I know of are the MMU gym, Bannatyne's health club and Total Fitness. The MMU gym is small and cheap, and honestly probably your best option if you are on a budget. Total Fitness is £25 per month (although you are locked into a years contract), but it's much bigger and offers the option to swim, hydro pools and saunas. Bannatyne's is the most expensive and located right next to Booth Hall, other than that I honestly don't know much about it. Personally I use Total Fitness, but I know plenty of people who use the MMU gym and have no problems with it.

Don't worry too much about it, you can try most places out with a free/guest pass and make your decision after you are here.
Hey, I'm going to be coming to crewe in September to study childhood, youth and education and will be hopefully staying in booth halls, does anyone know if the flats are mixed years or if all the first years will be together as I know some second and third years still live in the halls and also how much it would cost to park a car if I decided to get one for uni, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 349
They generally move first years in with first years, but sometimes you can end up in a second year flat due to some students not getting into halls again. Booth Hall is completely filled this year and I know some second years that didn't get accepted back, so there is a chance a few of you will end up in a mixed year flat. I think the parking permit for Booth last year was £125, but that price could change. You'll get an email shortly allocating your accommodation and flat number. It will let you know how to apply and what the cost is for the academic year.
Damn Booth are full? what other accomodations would you reccomend in the area? I was thinking about applying to a halls in Manchester, its more suitable for my lifestyle, and the commute into Crewe wouldnt be any bother for me
Reply 351
Original post by johnscott
Damn Booth are full? what other accomodations would you reccomend in the area? I was thinking about applying to a halls in Manchester, its more suitable for my lifestyle, and the commute into Crewe wouldnt be any bother for me

I didn't mean that you weren't getting into halls, I'm only saying that booth hall will be filled to capacity again this year. Freshers get priority anyway, you should get into halls.

It's up to you if you want to commute, I wouldn't recommend it. Crewe is only around 30 miles from manchester, but it's a slow 30 miles, takes just under an hours drive. It's generally around 30-45mins on a train. It's going to cost you a good bit of money a week just traveling to uni, which would have paid for your nights out in crewe, manchester or liverpool anyway.
Original post by Lokir
I didn't mean that you weren't getting into halls, I'm only saying that booth hall will be filled to capacity again this year. Freshers get priority anyway, you should get into halls.

It's up to you if you want to commute, I wouldn't recommend it. Crewe is only around 30 miles from manchester, but it's a slow 30 miles, takes just under an hours drive. It's generally around 30-45mins on a train. It's going to cost you a good bit of money a week just traveling to uni, which would have paid for your nights out in crewe, manchester or liverpool anyway.

ah thank you, you've re assured me! i'm very nervous about moving away for this uni degree, i have friends who are studying at the manchester campus who i train with at gym etc, which is why i thought it would be easier to live in manchester, also the nightlife is within walking distance and there are more job opportunities in the city
Im an irish student moving over in September too. I am also in Crewe campus to study Early years and childhood studies, but I am going to live in Manchester and travel up, a few people have recommended it to me as nightlife and stuff are better up there.
Original post by johnscott

I have 2 en suite rooms in Crewe available if you are interested in a room contact me . The room £95 a and refundable £300 deposit.
Original post by shantelkristina
I have 2 en suite rooms in Crewe available if you are interested in a room contact me . The room £95 a and refundable £300 deposit.

hey, is it a house by any chance? i kinda want to live in halls to help meet friends
Reply 356
She's talking about a house.

Also, I'm looking for another person to move into a house with us next year. It's a 4 bedroom house with two bathrooms. You'll be living with 3 lads. Room is £55pw, not including bills. Send me a message if you want more details.
Reply 357
hi there i am going to be in booth hall Goostrey flat 2 (: im so nervous but so excited would be great if i knew anyone else :smile::smile:
Reply 358
Original post by JMIS
hi there i am going to be in booth hall Goostrey flat 2 (: im so nervous but so excited would be great if i knew anyone else :smile::smile:

I'm in Eaton, Booth Hall :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 359
I'm doing a masters in sport and exercise coaching at crewe! Just got into booth halls, chorlton flat 5 anyone else living there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending