The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Life & accommodation at MMU Cheshire (Crewe)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by bcoogie
Hi, i'm also starting in september on a pgce and have been offered a place in booth halls chorlton flat. I'm a mature student at 28, so wondering if i'm gonna feel like a dinosaur on campus or will they put older students in flats together??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Contact the accommodation office and make a request to be placed with older students. The accommodation office tend to use Barlow, Davenport and Harley halls sequentially (i.e. first years go into Barlow and third years, international students and PGCE students go into Harley). If at all possible, I would ask to be moved from Booth Hall to Harley. Booth will be completely full of first and second years who will not care whatsoever about the fact you have to have an early night for your placement...
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 61
Eaton Flat 14!
Reply 62
I've also had an offer for booth, although i'm considering living in Manchester and commuting, I want to enjoy the whole of the University experience! Anyone else here commute and have any advice?
Chester's a university city too... maybe look into commuting from there too? Stoke too...
Reply 64
Original post by spink91
Hi all,

I'm due to start at Cheshire/Crewe studying Sport Exercise Science in September, although i want to experience university to the fullest. Therefore staying in Crewe/Cheshire really isn't tempting me what so ever. Does anyone here commute from Manchester to Crewe? I'm guessing Didsbury would be best to commute from.

If so would i be best to drive or get the train? Are their certain student passes we are eligible for? Any help would be greatly appreciated as i will have to decline Booth Halls within the next 2 days!

Peace.

What a completely stupid idea. Commuting to Crewe will cost an absolute fortune. Living in Manchester will cost far more than living in Crewe too. By living in Manchester you are ostracising yourself from those in Crewe and are, ironically, not experiencing university to the fullest. The same goes for those people you end up living with in Manchester. You will not have anything in common with them and will be away in Cheshire most of the time.
Reply 65
Original post by spink91
I've also had an offer for booth, although i'm considering living in Manchester and commuting, I want to enjoy the whole of the University experience! Anyone else here commute and have any advice?

This idea that not living in Manchester means your not going to have the "Uni Experience" is wrong in my opinion... Look at it this way

Cost. Price of living in Manchester far more expensive.. and then Trains.. increasing by about 10% over inflation each year for the last 10 years.. and plans to increase by the same for the next 10.

So you're going to have to get to the train station for... before 8 in the morning? To hope the train is running on time.. or at all.. to stand up (because it's peak time). When you can just go out into Manchester.. on nights out as of when you feel like it... leave the club at 5 in the morning and just get the first train back.... or Liverpool... or Leeds...

Your going to be out of the loop in regards to activities at Crewe and like I think someone mention before... isolated from students on the same course as well as a lot less interest with the people you will be living with.

I just think people get this panic because we aren't based in a major city.. they wont have fun but in Crewe you have 3 major cities within 45 minutes train journey I think.. as well as places like Stoke... I would rather have a campus where I can focus on my degree and have to catch the train to go clubbing, than have to catch the train to learn my degree and focus on getting pissed.. esp for £9000 a year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
just been accepted into mmu chesh, so happy!
i've been allocated HASSALL FLAT 08 ROOM 6 in booth! anyone else in booth?! x
Reply 67
Anyone else in HASSALL FLAT 10?! I'm in room 7
Reply 68
I'm in FARNDON FLAT 06 ROOM 6. Anyone else?

im in Duddon Flat 8 Room 5, anyone else in that flat! im s excitedddd.....!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Guys I'm going back for my second year so fire questions at me too if you want.

bcoogie - I was 22 last year when I started out and I went to old halls (specifically Harley) and that's where they place all the exchange and students too like Spanish, French, German, American etc. They have returning students go there too, there was a guy there last year like 25 or 26. It won't matter if your in Booth or not though but I'd choose old halls if I had a choice. The parties can go on all night if you plan it right whereas in Booth people get picky and security chuck you out pretty damn quickly too if you don't have a card to be there. For the price you pay in Booth for the extra toilet to yourself it's just not worth it in my opinion plus everyone ends up in Steam or Hanley anyway and the halls buildings (Booth, Harley, Davenport and Barlow) are basically right beside each other.
Reply 71
Duddon, Flat 15 Room 1, anyone else? Also anyone doing Primary Education? :biggrin:
Reply 72
im in eaton flat 02 room 02! :biggrin: does anyone know when we can start moving in?
i think they let us know in a few weeks (thats what it says on twitter anyway) it will either be 15th or 16th and they will let you know a time aswell so that it isnt to hectic everyone trying to move iin at the same time. but they will send you a letter/email i think :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by Aimeee-xo
EATON, Flat 16 :smile:

Eaton Flat 14 Whooop
Reply 75
hassall flat 8!:smile: x
Reply 76
Booth halls anyone? When do we move In the 15th! I'm nervous now eeekk

Reply 77
Original post by Djcaz
Booth halls anyone? When do we move In the 15th! I'm nervous now eeekk

Booth Halls HERE ... reporting for drinking duty :smile: :colone:
Reply 78
What's it flat no. And have you any idea when we arrive?

Reply 79
Original post by jturner12
Eaton Flat 14 Whooop

Eaton flat 2!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending