The Student Room Group

Turkey joining the EU with 4.4 million newcomers in 15 years + & Opinion poll

Poll

Good move?

Jean Maurice Ripert, head of the EU delegation to Turkey, said on Wednesday that they would see Turkey joining the Union soon.

Visiting Turkey's eastern Van city, Ripert said that they were willing to see Turkey within the EU, adding that there were positive developments regarding Turkey's EU membership process.

When we look at the investments which were made in Turkey, we see that 80 percent was made by the EU countries, said Ripert, adding that also many Turkish students, teachers and academicians were using EU's supports.

The EU transferred 850 million Euro to Turkey this year for the country's adjustment with the Union, said Ripert, adding that the EU initiated visa dialogue with Turkey.

Ripert added that Turkey made 50 percent of its commerce with the EU countries.

The committee's estimate of the number of Turks who might want to emigrate to the European Union as a whole is between half a million and
4.4 million by 2030. That strikes me as precisely the kind of back-of-the-envelope sum that produced the underestimate of Polish arrivals.

http://www.turkishweekly.net/news/137854/eu-official-we-will-see-turkey-joining-the-eu-soon.html

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london-should-beware-if-the-eu-lets-turkey-join-6429437.html

Is this a good move or bad considering the lack of jobs, housing at the moment?

Turkeys population is estimated at 70 million.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Stupid poll, there would be a block on immigration for a few years, like with bulgaria/romania so immigration wouldn't be an issue.
Reply 2
Well the answer you want from that poll isn't obvious.
Reply 3
Huz
OP
We have 1 vote so far supporting it.
Lol at the retarded poll.

Inb4 they steal all ourr jobs innit, herrp derp.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I say no - purely because I don't think any country should be part of the EU.
Reply 6
The Cyprus issue is a major obstacle along with Human Rights etc.

Some EU States are opposed to Turkey's membership
Reply 7
Huz
OP
Original post by Joluk
Stupid poll, there would be a block on immigration for a few years, like with bulgaria/romania so immigration wouldn't be an issue.

And after the few years are up. you're very, very silly.
I don't see why not. Though they should take precedents to crack down on human rights issues and secular problems, otherwise I'm for it.

Oh and they should just give the entirety of Cyprus to Greece.

Edit; I'm not saying they should give their half of Cyprus over due to bias. Simply put, Hellites first settled it, and it was a Greek state, and Island all the way up till the 14th century almost. That and the majority speak Greek and are Orthodox.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Morgsie
The Cyprus issue is a major obstacle along with Human Rights etc.

Some EU States are opposed to Turkey's membership

How do propose resolving it? The Annan plan endorsed by Turkey, EU, US, UN was rejected by Greek-Cypriots.
Reply 10
Original post by AntisthenesDogger

Edit; I'm not saying they should give their half of Cyprus over due to bias. Simply put, Hellites first settled it, and it was a Greek state, and Island all the way up till the 14th century almost. That and the majority speak Greek and are Orthodox.

They're hardly going to do that, seeing as the reason that they intervened in the first place was because of Greek nationalist's illegal attempts to have the island annexed by Greece.

I personally don't really care who was there 'first', the fact remains that the Turks are there now, have just as much right to be there as the Greeks, and that is a reality we simply have to accept.
Original post by Brutal Honesty
How do propose resolving it? The Annan plan endorsed by Turkey, EU, US, UN was rejected by Greek-Cypriots.

I personally think Greek-Cypriots should have accepted the proposal. I think they wary of Turkic hegemony on the new republic though, that and they vehemently (and one can argue, rightly) believe the Island is Greek, so no compromise should be taken.
Reply 12
Huz
OP
I personally think Greek-Cypriots should have accepted the proposal. I think they wary of Turkic hegemony on the new republic though, that and they vehemently (and one can argue, rightly) believe the Island is Greek, so no compromise should be taken.

Not if it belonged to Greeks. Then they may not.
Reply 13
The outgoing Government wanted to unify the Island
Original post by Huz
Not if it belonged to Greeks. Then they may not.

I said that in my post.
Reply 15
Huz
OP
I said that in my post.

I set this thread up more about whether Turkey should join the EU. This is not about Greece.

Nobody so forth has told me why they think we need more immigration, they have just given thumbs up on the poll.
Original post by Clessus
They're hardly going to do that, seeing as the reason that they intervened in the first place was because of Greek nationalist's illegal attempts to have the island annexed by Greece.

I personally don't really care who was there 'first', the fact remains that the Turks are there now, have just as much right to be there as the Greeks, and that is a reality we simply have to accept.

I disagree with that simply.

The heritage sites, the culture, cities and ruins are all Greek (Some are Hittite, Egyptian etc) Not only that, but they successfully defended the Island from Medival Muslim conquest, and created the titular kingdom of Cyprus which have formatted the laws that both sides comply with to a degree, not abiding partition laws.

If the English mainland was conquered by the Golden horde during the latter stages of Medieval Europe, and there was still to this day, a specific culture, ethnic background, architecture, law and housing that was Anglo, would you argue that the Mongols have a right to be there still?

I do agree that Greece first initiated a pogrom against the Turkic settlers and it no furthered their cause, but this issue goes a lot deeper than this. Look at the Greco-Turkic war, the transfer of Greek speakers from Turkey to Greece, the destruction of the Parthenon (Both Turkic and Napali's fault)
I think Turkey would be an asset to the EU.

Geopolitically it can provide a crucial link between Europe and the Middle East.

It experienced an average GDP growth of 8.5% in 2011.

Turkish girls are hot.
Reply 18
Original post by Huz
I set this thread up more about whether Turkey should join the EU. This is not about Greece.

Nobody so forth has told me why they think we need more immigration, they have just given thumbs up on the poll.

Actually, it is about Greece. The situation with Greece and Cyprus is the main barrier to Turkey joining the EU, so it's quite relevant.

I don't believe migration within the EU is a bad thing, I don't anticipate a large volume of Turkish migrants coming to the UK anyway, and I think Turkey would be a major asset to the EU if it were to be a member. Hence, I am in favour of Turkey joining the EU. Simples.
Reply 19
I disagree with that simply.

The heritage sites, the culture, cities and ruins are all Greek (Some are Hittite, Egyptian etc) )

And? There are Ottoman mosques in Bosnia, Serbia and other parts of the Balkans, does that mean that it is "Turkish"? There are Roman ruins in Britain, does that mean that Britain is "Italian"? We're living in the twenty-first century, not Antiquity. Cyprus is an island of all its inhabitants, not just the Greeks.

If the English mainland was conquered by the Golden horde during the latter stages of Medieval Europe, and there was still to this day, a specific culture, ethnic background, architecture, law and housing that was Anglo, would you argue that the Mongols have a right to be there still?

If they had been there for centuries, then yes absolutely. In fact, Britain has been invaded many times, and has assimilated many cultures when it before had a "specific culture, ethnic background, architecture, law and housing that was Anglo" and most Brits are decended from these invaders.

I do agree that Greece first initiated a pogrom against the Turkic settlers and it no furthered their cause

Glad to see you acknowledge that :smile:. Likewise I acknowledge that while Turkey had every right to intervene in 1974 to prevent Greek fascists from annexing the island, they had no right to ethnically cleanse 1/3 of it and set up a ridiculous statelet.

Look at the Greco-Turkic war, the transfer of Greek speakers from Turkey to Greece, the destruction of the Parthenon (Both Turkic and Napali's fault)

The Turks were fully justified in fighting the Greeks in 1919 to prevent Greek expansionism and aggression. Although this is irrelevent to Cyprus, let's face it, the ethnic cleansing and atrocities which occured during the Greco-Turkic war were hardly restricted to one side.

Quick Reply

Latest