The Student Room Group

What are your thoughts on Army 2020?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sephiroth
Are you kidding me? I just spat coke through my nose all over my screen thanks to that first sentence. Do you honestly believe anyone on here still cares about reputation points? I didn't even think people still bothered to use the feature. I've had mine hidden from my control panel for about two years.

That said, your quote is meaningless. No country is going to attempt to invade the UK while we have nuclear weapons. Even if you'd think we were preparing for one right now in London with all this insane "security" for the Olympics. Thus we do not need a large defence force or budget. Just a team capable of maintaining our nuclear arsenal.

We need to be able to PROJECT force. This means we need the capability and manpower to do more than just defend our home nation.

One reason we have ships/personnel in the Arabian Gulf is to provide security for our country - when I say security, I mean ENERGY security. At present we are ensuring that Iran doesn't get any silly ideas and close the Straits of Hormuz. If this were to occur then our country, along with many others, would suffer both economically and infrastructure-wise. If we only had a 'self-defence' force, we would be unable to project this military force in a region that is vital for world energy supplies.
Original post by Wild Horses
Like i said Britain always want to occupy land that does not belong to them in the first place. They are greedy ****ers. It goes way back in history where they enslaved the caribbean and african people and stole all their wealth and took it back to england. Look at them now, like peasants that are in debt, can't even manage their own finances. Why can't you just stay in your country and behave yourself? Everyone knows that it aint their land anyway. Most of the islanders are from british descent and it's what they know so, they will definitely want to be under british rule cause they are comfortable.

I see your location is London. Are you British? If not, why not go home? After all, you surely don't like living in a land of greedy ****ers.
Reply 82
Original post by unruly1986
I see your location is London. Are you British? If not, why not go home? After all, you surely don't like living in a land of greedy ****ers.

okay, let's not get on a personal level here and stick to the main topic. peace!
Okay, fair point.

You say that `it ain't their land anyway`.

Who do you suggest it belongs to?
Original post by unruly1986
We need to be able to PROJECT force. This means we need the capability and manpower to do more than just defend our home nation.

One reason we have ships/personnel in the Arabian Gulf is to provide security for our country - when I say security, I mean ENERGY security. At present we are ensuring that Iran doesn't get any silly ideas and close the Straits of Hormuz. If this were to occur then our country, along with many others, would suffer both economically and infrastructure-wise. If we only had a 'self-defence' force, we would be unable to project this military force in a region that is vital for world energy supplies.

Just threaten Iran with our nukes, that will keep them from closing the Straits of Hormuz. Or keep a very small UN force for issues such as this that the UK pays towards. But we don't need a massive defence budget these days. The US is even worse for this however.
Original post by Sephiroth
Just threaten Iran with our nukes, that will keep them from closing the Straits of Hormuz. Or keep a very small UN force for issues such as this that the UK pays towards. But we don't need a massive defence budget these days. The US is even worse for this however.

If you keep threatening to use something and never actually do, then it becomes meaningless.

A nuke wouldnt be a proportionate response anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest