Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you agree that the less interesting courses we study lead to better job prospects?

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    For instance, law, engineering, medicine and dentistry were hardly considered by the average student to be as interesting as say, politics, history, psychology and chemistry.

And even with courses like Political Science, it focuses on the macro level which is more boring than say, topics in International Relations such as International Affairs and Peace and Security Studies. But its skill sets are somehow more useful than those IR topics in the real world.

So what do you guys think? Is there a clear correlation between boring courses and better job prospects?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The average student isn't studying these "boring courses". Funny how you never put maths up there which perhaps the majority of student dislike, despite it being not boring. People generally enjoy their course hence why they're on it and don't find it boring (At least not all the time), so it's only relative to the person.

So no, no correlation between boring courses and better job prospects.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really? I'd think that medicine would be a damn sight more interesting that politics or history. Good job we're all different I suppose.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    if you find the subject boring at uni you're probably not going to pursue it as a life-long career!!maybe what you find boring!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Finding a subject "boring" in subjective to the individual. Not everyone has the same interests.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it odd how you put engineering in the 'boring' subjects list as I find it fascinating and can't wait to start my course in September.

It's all to do with the person and what they like. There isn't a general consensus of what course are 'boring' and which ones aren't.

People have their own interests and likes. Something that can be incredibly dull to one person might be the most interesting topic in the world to someone else.

And if I'm honest, I find all the 'boring' subjects you listed to be way more interesting than History and Politics, but hey that's just me!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Politics and think that IR is the single most dull, vague topic plausible. Luckily lots of people think what they're studying is interesting and that's how we get on with lots of different jobs...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Why is medicine boring? :cry2:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Medicine cant be boring, you cut people open and stab them with needles and ****.

That is my interpretation of what a medicine degree leads to.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontWantYourBloodMoney)
    I'm doing Politics and think that IR is the single most dull, vague topic plausible. Luckily lots of people think what they're studying is interesting and that's how we get on with lots of different jobs...
    Couldn't agree more, IR is the single biggest waste of time of any field of political science.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fellowjoe)
    For instance, law, engineering, medicine and dentistry were hardly considered by the average student to be as interesting as say, politics, history, psychology and chemistry.

And even with courses like Political Science, it focuses on the macro level which is more boring than say, topics in International Relations such as International Affairs and Peace and Security Studies. But its skill sets are somehow more useful than those IR topics in the real world.

So what do you guys think? Is there a clear correlation between boring courses and better job prospects?
    Well as interestingness is an entirely subjective topic, no.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Many people would class Chemistry as boring but I find it interesting. I also find a mainstream course like Business Studies or ICT boring, in which there are a lot of ''dull'' jobs so it is subjective.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes there does seem to be a correlation.

Or maybe it is not so much that they are boring, maybe it is that they require more effort/different application of brainpower than the others.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry can lead to quite a lot of job prospects, especially if you continue it beyond degree level.
    • 117 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Medicine cant be boring, you cut people open and stab them with needles and ****.

That is my interpretation of what a medicine degree leads to.
    From my experience of shadowing surgeons, your spot on

OP: Chemostry is interesting, but is one of the most "respected" degrees out there and has good career prospects.

I find Medicine much more intriguing than politics and physcology. Even if the latter had better career prospects (they are already good...) then I wouldn't go for them.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyones different, maths may float person A's boat but it might make person B run over the hills and straight into the arms of History.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fellowjoe)

Erm, well, no. Not at all! :P

I'd at least like to have *some* faith in the human race for choosing a profession they enjoy. I know people who are going to study accountancy (for me, one of the most boring prospects possible), but I know that for him it's really satisfying and exciting, hence why he's doing it.

I can understand why you make your point, but I fear your point is justified by your own subjective views rather than what each individual thinks
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why are law, engineering, medicine and dentistry boring subjects?

Surely what you perceive to be an "interesting" or "boring" subject is subjective?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinnes)
    Erm, well, no. Not at all! :P

I'd at least like to have *some* faith in the human race for choosing a profession they enjoy. I know people who are going to study accountancy (for me, one of the most boring prospects possible), but I know that for him it's really satisfying and exciting, hence why he's doing it.

I can understand why you make your point, but I fear your point is justified by your own subjective views rather than what each individual thinks
    Yeah to each his own i guess. What is boring to me might not be the same to others.

I just feel that rarely does the average student happen to enjoy being in an academically demanding course like law, medicine and dentistry. If he does, he definitely gets the best of both worlds; but if he doesn't, he gotta be either idealistic or practical.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. There is a misnomer that qualifying law degrees are the preferred/only route for law firms. The law degree will provide you with no more a head up than if you did a history or science degree.

There are plenty of careers in which there are high financial rewards and the degree you hold isn't a bar to entering them.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 10, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.