The Student Room Group

Maths Reading

I have just got back from my Sixth Form Induction day, and my further maths teacher told gave me a reading list with a selection of books about maths on. Can anyone recommend a mathematical book that is good to read? I don't really like maths and so I don't want to waste my time on a crap one.

Thanks.
Reply 1
No-one?
Reply 2
Original post by CJG21
No-one?

Perhaps I have misunderstood but ... if you have a reading list then why would you need us to provide additional recommendations ... why not just read the books the teacher has suggested
Reply 3
CJG21
I have just got back from my Sixth Form Induction day, and my further maths teacher told gave me a reading list with a selection of books about maths on. Can anyone recommend a mathematical book that is good to read? I don't really like maths and so I don't want to waste my time on a crap one.

Taking a subject you don't enjoy isn't really a good thing when moving onto A levels. They are much harder and requires a lot of commitment and for Maths, a lot of practice! Anyhow, take a look at this website;

http://www.examsolutions.co.uk

Although it is based around the Edexcel, AQA (majority), and OCR specifications, this website provides many A level video tutorials. However, if you do click on the Edexcel, AQA and OCR pages, it goes into a page that splits up the course modules which if you go onto one of the modules, it will give you a list of videos which include the maths required for that module. So if you do know which exam board your sixth form uses, you could always get a head start! :wink: It is a very useful site that helped me for my GCSE Additional Maths, i hate reading, but the videos are very useful and the man in the tutorials explains everything in detail so you are not confused by what something is or means.
(edited 11 years ago)
There are a plethora of different books you can try.

Possibly the lightest book is "Fermat's Last Theorem", by Simon Singh. It's an incredibly enjoyable read, which, although light on mathematical content, gives good exposition regarding the subject of the theorem. It also includes a couple of interesting pieces of mathematics in the back such as a proof of Pythagoras. As someone who had always been taught the methods but not the ideas behind them, these parts are eye-opening.

Another classic is "A Mathematician's Apology", by G.H. Hardy. It is a book written by a famous professor of Maths defending the value of Maths as a subject and discipline. The book is very short and Hardy comes across as somewhat jaded but it provides a genuinely interesting argument as well as some interesting Maths.

For a more instructional book, you could do a lot worse than "What Is Mathematics?", by Richard Courant & Herbert Robbins. The book goes into detail about various areas of Maths, teaching you as you go along and providing small exercises for the readers interested. Recommended by none other than Einstein himself.

There are an absolute plethora of books that can be recommended. Anything by Ian Stewart is usually an enjoyable read, although he does often repeat himself between books. "Flatterland" is a book which makes Maths humorous whilst still managing to make your mind ache - it's prequel, "Flatland", is an absolute must have. Marcus Du Sautoy is also quite popular although I haven't much experience with his books.

A personal favourite of mine is John Derbyshire; he gives a thoroughly enjoyable exposition on subjects whilst not being afraid to launch into algebra if needed.

I've steered away from textbooks as such; the majority of books on here are general reading ones which can be enjoyed (although not necessarily understood) by any level of mathematical ability.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by _Morsey_

Why have you attributed the OP to me in the quote facility
Reply 6
Original post by DJMayes
There are a plethora of different books you can try.

Possibly the lightest book is "Fermat's Last Theorem", by Simon Singh. It's an incredibly enjoyable read, which, although light on mathematical content, gives good exposition regarding the subject of the theorem. It also includes a couple of interesting pieces of mathematics in the back such as a proof of Pythagoras. As someone who had always been taught the methods but not the ideas behind them, these parts are eye-opening.

Another classic is "A Mathematician's Apology", by G.H. Hardy. It is a book written by a famous professor of Maths defending the value of Maths as a subject and discipline. The book is very short and Hardy comes across as somewhat jaded but it provides a genuinely interesting argument as well as some interesting Maths.

For a more instructional book, you could do a lot worse than "What Is Mathematics?", by Richard Courant & Herbert Robbins. The book goes into detail about various areas of Maths, teaching you as you go along and providing small exercises for the readers interested. Recommended by none other than Einstein himself.

There are an absolute plethora of books that can be recommended. Anything by Ian Stewart is usually an enjoyable read, although he does often repeat himself between books. "Flatterland" is a book which makes Maths humorous whilst still managing to make your mind ache - it's prequel, "Flatland", is an absolute must have. Marcus Du Sautoy is also quite popular although I haven't much experience with his books.

A personal favourite of mine is John Derbyshire; he gives a thoroughly enjoyable exposition on subjects whilst not being afraid to launch into algebra if needed.

I've steered away from textbooks as such; the majority of books on here are general reading ones which can be enjoyed (although not necessarily understood) by any level of mathematical ability.

Thanks. A few of them were on the list. Will have a look at.
Reply 7
Original post by TenOfThem
Perhaps I have misunderstood but ... if you have a reading list then why would you need us to provide additional recommendations ... why not just read the books the teacher has suggested

Because the list had like 30+ books on and we were told to read 1 or 2.
Reply 8
Original post by CJG21
Because the list had like 30+ books on and we were told to read 1 or 2.

Possibly better to give us the list and see hat is on it and good then :smile:
if you want books with teaching in them that will relate to your further maths course then look up for books that teach basic linear algebra, introductions to complex numbers, introduction to differential equations.

and maybe some introductory stats books as well if you do any stats modules
Reply 10
Why have you attributed the OP to me in the quote facility

Good question :redface:

*Editted post*
Reply 11
Possibly better to give us the list and see hat is on it and good then :smile:

Fine.

Spoiler

Original post by CJG21
Fine.

Spoiler

TBH that is a great list
Godel Escher and Bach is a book that both my better half and I own ... yet one more reason that we fell in love :smile:
I love anything by Ian Stewart
Simon Singh is VERY readable
E, the story of a number is good as is The Emperor's new mind

Check out free versions if you have a kindle (or sim) I have some free Ian Stewart books on my kindle so there may well be more available
Reply 13
TBH that is a great list
Godel Escher and Bach is a book that both my better half and I own ... yet one more reason that we fell in love :smile:
I love anything by Ian Stewart
Simon Singh is VERY readable
E, the story of a number is good as is The Emperor's new mind

Check out free versions if you have a kindle (or sim) I have some free Ian Stewart books on my kindle so there may well be more available

Excellent. I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay for any. I thought Bach and Escher were composers or am I wrong?
Original post by CJG21
Excellent. I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay for any. I thought Bach and Escher were composers or am I wrong?

Bach is a composer
Escher an artist http://www.mcescher.com/ you are about to discover that maths is the basis of all
Reply 15
Bach is a composer
Escher an artist http://www.mcescher.com/ you are about to discover that maths is the basis of all

Who's Godel?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by CJG21
Who's Godel?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

He is the mathematician

Quick Reply

Latest