The Student Room Group

Am I aiming too high?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by funsongfactory
Yes Southampton is Russell Group. What does redbrick refer to then? I thought redbrick and Russell Group were the same thing.

so did i! :confused: haha
Reply 21
Your grades seem fine for those unis, but applying for different subjects with the same PS is unlikely to go well as you won't seem dedicated.

yeah i know thats the problem, i may just go for maths cos at the end of the day its what im best at.

in that case i may go: oxford, durham, lancaster and UEA for maths and then southamption for maths and astronomy?
Yes Southampton is Russell Group. What does redbrick refer to then? I thought redbrick and Russell Group were the same thing.

Original post by abi1995

A university that gained university status at around about turn of the 20th century (1900 to 1909, with Manchester as a slightly odd exception because it is formed of Victoria University [founded 1880] and University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology [1956], had its own status in 2004 ... but still get counted as a redbrick.)

Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield.

However, more liberally it distinguishes between the ancients (Oxbridge, some of the Scottish universities - centuries old universities) and the plate glass (founded in the 60s.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by abi1995

Redbrick means, well, they're made out of red bricks! I know it seems obvious but that really is the basis and obviously Ancients (Oxbridge and a few Scottish ones), Victorian (UCL, Durham etc.) and some more modern ones in the RG don't fulfil that.

They are all universities built in large industrial cities around the end of the 19th and beginning of 20th century.

Bristol, Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_brick_university

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by abi1995
Yeah, well at the moment i have 98% in core 1 maths, and was 1 mark off an A in my first chemistry and am awaiting results for core 2, decision 1, chemistry, spanish and physics - if i dont get all A's in august i wont apply for oxford cos theirs no point.

how do you submit two statements though? on the ucas form it only lets you do one?

thanks, although isnt the MAT only supposed to be on C1 and C2?

For Durham the second PS was through their website.

And I meant for the interviews, the MAT will be whatever they say it's based on, but in the interviews there's nothing set on stone. This is only one case, but I remember a person who got asked to do proof by induction when they hadn't studied Further Maths, they just assume you'd have a good grasp of maths in general and so would be decently versed in some things in your syllabus. Or that interviewer was just being a bellend, both of which are probably true.
Reply 25
Original post by abi1995
not redbrick! i meant russel group! it is russel group right?

Yep, definitely a Russel Group uni. :wink:
[QUOTE="patrickinator;38463313"]
Original post by AndroidLight
. For UCL, you should see if they allow you to do a separate PS, as when I applied for natsci at Durham they had asked you to submit another PS if you're not applying for just natsci.

QUOTE]

Is this common practice at other places?

No, it's specific to each university. Natural Science isn't really offered that much, so I'd have though that at least a fair few would allow this to be done and I have heard of it being done at one or two other unis, but it's not something set in stone and so would need to be researched beforehand.
Shoot for the stars and if you miss, OMG YOU'RE IN OUTER SPACE. Cliché but seemed appropriate :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by abi1995
Hello, i am wondering whether these choices are ok for university for a maths degree or whether its unlikely that i'd get an offer from anyone and whether or not i should put in a safer option with lower entry requirements.

My choices are:
Oxford - A*AAa + MAT (I'm only doing AS FM) (Maths)
Durham - A*AA (Maths)
UCL - A*AA-AAA (Natural Sciences)
Lancaster AAA (Maths/Natural Sciences)
Southampton AAA (Maths & Astronomy)

I should end up with in my A levels (HOPEFULLY?! :tongue: )
Maths (A2) - A*
Physics (A2) - A
Chemistry (A2) - A
Spanish (AS) - C
Further Maths (AS) - A

Also, I have 5 A*'s and 6 A's at GCSE.

Also, since i may be applying for both maths and natural sciences how much of my personal statement should be on maths and how much on science?

It would be great if anyone could tell me how much of a chance I would have and also any opinions of my choices :biggrin:

No, you've got some good grades/predictions and you're aiming at the right calibre of university, although I am curious as to why you wouldn't apply to Imperial College?

The way I see it, if you don't apply to Cambridge/Oxford and end up with 5 offers, you've sold yourself short. If you don't ask, you can't get, after all.
Reply 29
Original post by abi1995
Hello, i am wondering whether these choices are ok for university for a maths degree or whether its unlikely that i'd get an offer from anyone and whether or not i should put in a safer option with lower entry requirements.

My choices are:
Oxford - A*AAa + MAT (I'm only doing AS FM) (Maths)
Durham - A*AA (Maths)
UCL - A*AA-AAA (Natural Sciences)
Lancaster AAA (Maths/Natural Sciences)
Southampton AAA (Maths & Astronomy)

I should end up with in my A levels (HOPEFULLY?! :tongue: )
Maths (A2) - A*
Physics (A2) - A
Chemistry (A2) - A
Spanish (AS) - C
Further Maths (AS) - A

Also, I have 5 A*'s and 6 A's at GCSE.

Also, since i may be applying for both maths and natural sciences how much of my personal statement should be on maths and how much on science?

It would be great if anyone could tell me how much of a chance I would have and also any opinions of my choices :biggrin:

Go for one that is one grade lower then your predicted grade to use as a back up incase anything happens. Also, how do you know your AS grades already?
Original post by roflcakes1
I think they're fine. My school normally sets the guideline that you should have 2 on target, 1 above target and 1 below target; you have 3 on target and 2 one grade below which should be fine. Just concentrate on your personal statement and admissions tests now :smile:
I'm not sure about the personal statement, as I'm in a similar position myself. Some unis will realise that you're apply to both and won't mind, but as all your universities are quite competitive I'd say try to integrate science and maths together instead of writing 2 separate paragraphs. For example, how your knowledge of maths has helped you appreciate your knowledge of science more. Try and find some joint course personal statements on here if you can to see what they've done.

Nothing to do with the post - but I would like to congratulate you on the correct use of they're...
Reply 31
Original post by abi1995
i know i wont be getting rid of southampton cos i am really interested in doing maths and astronomy, also its a red-brick uni etc

so yeah, ive decided it will probably be out of durham and ucl :smile:

thanks for the help

Maybe not then :tongue:
Personally if i were you i'd keep UCL [no biass of course:wink:]
theyre all exceptional unis though and i wish you the best with your choice! :smile:
You just need to make sure you'd be happy going to all of those unis. As for entry requirements, I've always said it's best to go for one perhaps ambitious one, three that you're confident you can get an offer from based on your predicted grades, then one insurance choice. Can't go wrong with that really.
Reply 33
[QUOTE="AndroidLight;38466670"]
Original post by patrickinator

No, it's specific to each university. Natural Science isn't really offered that much, so I'd have though that at least a fair few would allow this to be done and I have heard of it being done at one or two other unis, but it's not something set in stone and so would need to be researched beforehand.

ok thanks, would it be on their website or should i ring up?
Reply 34
Original post by Astronomical
No, you've got some good grades/predictions and you're aiming at the right calibre of university, although I am curious as to why you wouldn't apply to Imperial College?

The way I see it, if you don't apply to Cambridge/Oxford and end up with 5 offers, you've sold yourself short. If you don't ask, you can't get, after all.

isnt Imperial A*A*A though and STEP? Thats too high for me haha

And thats true :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by YB101
Go for one that is one grade lower then your predicted grade to use as a back up incase anything happens. Also, how do you know your AS grades already?

thanks, i dont know my AS thats what im hoping to get
Reply 36
Original post by cl_steele
Maybe not then :tongue:
Personally if i were you i'd keep UCL [no biass of course:wink:]
theyre all exceptional unis though and i wish you the best with your choice! :smile:

do you go UCL?
and thanks very much :smile:
Reply 37
yeah, if you're only doing AS further then you are unlikely to get offers tbh
Reply 38
Original post by HuyTaa
yeah, if you're only doing AS further then you are unlikely to get offers tbh

well unfortunately, my school didnt offer further maths when i chose my subjects, i had to persuade my school to offer it so i will be studying it this year at AS. if i had been given the choice, i would have obviously done the full A level in it
Reply 39
Your choices look fine as long as you're confident that you'll get the minimum offer of AAA. However, if I were you, I would have an AAB in there just in case things don't go as planned. I have a friend who aimed very highly and ended up being gravely disappointed.

Quick Reply

Latest