Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

20 year old gets sentenced to 161 years

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    MIAMI - Quartavious Davis is still shocked by what happened to him in federal court two months ago.

"My first offense, and they gave me all this time," said Davis, a pudgy African American with dreadlocks who spoke with Reuters at the Federal Detention Center in Miami. "Might just as well say I'm dead."

Davis was convicted of participating in a string of armed robberies in the Miami area in 2010. His accomplices testified against him, saying he carried a gun during their crimes and discharged it at a dog that chased them after one of their burglaries. But Davis was not convicted of hurting anyone physically, including the dog.

Davis would occupy no place at all in the annals of crime if not for his sentence. Now 20 years old, he was sentenced to 1,941 months - almost 162 years - in prison without the possibility of parole.

On the day of Davis's interview with Reuters, the U.S. Supreme Court decided that life sentences without parole for defendants under the age of 18 constituted "cruel and unusual punishment" even in cases of murder. Unfortunately for Davis, he was 18 at the time of his crimes.

Davis's unusually long sentence results from a controversial practice known as "stacking," in which each count of an indictment is counted as a separate crime, thus transforming a first-time defendant into a "habitual criminal" subject to multiple sentences and mandatory sentencing guidelines.

http://news.yahoo.com/insight-florid...050157061.html

• 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't do the crime if you can't do the time lol
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    How **** must his lawyer of been :eek:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its fair for him to complain that it was a first offence when what he did was a string of armed robberies not an isolated incident
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably will be in and out of jail anyway. Makes no difference.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's because his accomplices imputed the blame to him so they could get shorter sentences. His entire life in a single building... :shot:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A string of armed robberies... something tells me he would have been in jail most of his life anyway can't help but feel sorry for his victims!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    He's going to be 181 years old when he's released, the world will have changed so much. Poor guy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is the result of a law system without so called "concurrent criminal offence" (loosely translated).
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I suppose those complaining that sentences weren't long enough got what they wanted :lolwut:

I don't particularly feel sorry for him.
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:
    What a name.
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndroidLight)
    Another case of American racism against Black people, just like Travon Martin who was killed. Shameful.
    Try harder.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 079)
    I bet he'll be out in 161 days...
    no
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph.Jade)
    A string of armed robberies... something tells me he would have been in jail most of his life anyway can't help but feel sorry for his victims!
    Yeah but if they released him when he was 60+, would he still be committing crimes? I don't think so.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    One less person to be worried about.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    no
    Yeahh
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 079)
    Yeahh
    almost 162 years - in prison without the possibility of parole.

Negged.

edit - negged by dumb people
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait... so in this country, someone can commit murder or rape and get a maximum of sixteen years, in America they think he may have shot at a dog and he won't get out of prison until he's 160? :lolwut:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the judge just took exception to the name 'Quartavious'?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jesse Jackson's gonna hear about this. If he were a Christian he would have got 2 years with an xbox and a plasma. But because hes Muslim they gave him life.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 14, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.