The Student Room Group

China builds more 'ghost' cities...in Africa.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Ever watched the move Agneepaath. Africa is like the main character, needs to decisively play off China and the USA against each other and become empowered itself at the end.

Only if the African Union were on TSR...they could read about my sensible rational plan.
Reply 81
Original post by Aaron_xyz

I'm sure these people are talking about the Chinese government, surely? http://i.imgur.com/xoEgF.png

No, I'm being sarcastic. Saying people are only referring to the 'nation', whatever that means is nothing but a cop-out.

He said most people HERE (well he actually said "hear", but I believe he means here; as in this site) aren't racist.

The comments in the link you mentioned are blatantly racist against Chinese people; there's no denying that. Maybe some of those commenters are simply trolling; and maybe in real life aren't as racist as they appear; though I'm sure many of them are simply racist, ignorant people. Then again, the excerpt in the link was taken from the Daily Mail; so no real surprise there.

However, I also feel that the majority of the people on THIS particular site aren't racist, at least from what I've seen. Having said that, there are definitely some racist comments in this thread, as you pointed out (the "never rule out the Chinese trying to deceive you" comment was out of order)

One of the previous posts I made on this page may appear to have an anti-Chinese rhetoric...

Original post by O'Donovan
Good to know. It's also good to know that we have a representative for every African on here. I'm sure every single one of them loves China, and I'm sure China will love them back. If they're not sure, they can just ask any of the Uyghur, Tibetan or Taiwanese people. Heck; even ask Liu Xiaobo. Satisfaction guaranteed.

...And you're so right! China has done so much for Africa in 5 years, I can't even think of anything in particular! =]

...but I was very much criticising the Chinese government. I wrote it in a deliberately provocative fashion, as the person I was replying to said something rather ignorant; or at least something quite naive. Thus, I decided to make a comment with the opposite viewpoint; but in a similar fashion, just prove how easy it is to make such simplistic and unsubstantiated claims.

I'm not saying that excuses my comment, or makes it any more valid; but it simply is not a racist comment against Chinese people.

Of course, one might argue that a government represents the views of the majority of it's people; and so any comment against a government is then implicity against the people it represents.
Whilst that may be true to some extent, this isn't always true. With China being a single-party state with such a massive population, I can only assume that there are a great many Chinese citizens whose views go unrepresented, and of course even those who do support the single-party system are still bound to disagree with at least some of their government's policies.

P.S. Apologies for all the text, I got a little carried away.
Reply 82
Original post by Florrick
Ever watched the movie Agneepath. Africa is like the main character, needs to decisively play off China and the USA against each other and become empowered itself at the end.

Only if the African Union were on TSR...they could read about my sensible rational plan.

I haven't seen it; but I just looked it up on wikipedia, briefly read the plot summary, and have surmised that it has only the most tenuous analogistic undertone of the scenario you just described.

And I'm sure the African Union would just love to hear the views of some 20 year old fresh out of college/university =]
Reply 83

Thanks for your courteous response. I know the comments are from the DM, I made that montage of comments lol.

I understand many of these posts are only criticising the Chinese government. I probably was a bit of hasty in writing my posts, although too often have I seen where people who hold critical views of the Chinese government, extend that outlook towards sinophobia and covert racism against Chinese (see annie bodes comment in that montage).

So, I can't help but get defensive whenever I hear "all Chinese are dog eaters, communists, bad people, we shouldn't trust them etc". A lot of people don't make the discresion between the people, the government, or its diaspora (me). Don't get me wrong, I dislike the CCP as much as any other person.

Again, thanks for your civil post :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Aaron_xyz
Thanks for your courteous response. I know the comments are from the DM, I made that montage of comments lol.

I understand many of these posts are only criticising the Chinese government. I probably was a bit of hasty in writing my posts, although too often have I seen where people who hold critical views of the Chinese government, extend that outlook towards sinophobia and covert racism against Chinese (see annie bodes comment in that montage).

So, I can't help but get defensive whenever I hear "all Chinese are dog eaters, communists, bad people, we shouldn't trust them etc". A lot of people don't make the discresion between the people, the government, or its diaspora (me). Don't get me wrong, I dislike the CCP as much as any other person.

Again, thanks for your civil post :smile:.

**** bro, you just read all that and built a compelling response in 5 minutes. Mine took me ages. Damn you crafty asians and your computer-like ability to process things!

I'm just messing with you :biggrin:
Reply 85
I haven't seen it; but I just looked it up on wikipedia, briefly read the plot summary, and have surmised that it has only the most tenuous analogistic undertone of the scenario you just described.

And I'm sure the African Union would just love to hear the views of some 20 year old fresh out of college/university =]

:hmmm:
Reply 86
Original post by Florrick
:hmmm:

Look bro; I'm sure it's there, it's probably just so expertly weaved into the plot that I can scarcely decipher it from reading the synopsis.
Reply 87
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by FreeHat

Bloody hell, yes I know about that one :lol: Did you read Gilbert Sproat's comeback at the bottom?

Galton - he thought himself so superior on account of his skin colour. :lol:
Reply 89
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is happening?
What are they gaining by building all this?
Original post by MHRed
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is happening?
What are they gaining by building all this?

You know, I still don't think that anybody's gotten to the bottom of it. There are several legitimate theories and unofficial statements going around such as that it is something to do with GDP and extra spending of surplus funds so that Chinese government officials are not grilled for retaining largely useless cash or something of the sort like investing etc.
Reply 91
Original post by HomoSapiensSap
Bloody hell, yes I know about that one :lol: Did you read Gilbert Sproat's comeback at the bottom?

Galton - he thought himself so superior on account of his skin colour. :lol:

He might not be superior on account of his skin colour but he was a pretty superior individual.
Original post by FreeHat
He might not be superior on account of his skin colour but he was a pretty superior individual.

Oh there's no doubt about that. He was a stellar individual and I greatly admire his demenour (his Wikipedia main pic looks grand and proud!) and works. But his racial views do throw some dirt on all of that unfortunately - however, those were some of the views of his day, so I'll let him off slightly :biggrin:.
Reply 93
Original post by ArthurWinterthurII
Why would the West have to do anything about it? I think the West should stay out of it - ancestral governments of certain Western powers already had their chance and simply invaded the continent and stole and hugely exploited. At least China is actually laying down business systems and effecting two-way trading that is generating billions upon billions of dollars; unlike throwing charity concerts and dishing out handouts in a patronizing way and not actually doing anything to directly aid in countries of the continent getting on their own two feet - throwing cash at Africa won't solve the continental issues.

No no no no, we've been doing all the same things and they're no better than colonialism, off the top of my head I can think of Shell in Nigeria, capitalism is an excellent justification for exploitation.
Original post by ArthurWinterthurII
Why would the West have to do anything about it? I think the West should stay out of it - ancestral governments of certain Western powers already had their chance and simply invaded the continent and stole and hugely exploited. At least China is actually laying down business systems and effecting two-way trading that is generating billions upon billions of dollars; unlike throwing charity concerts and dishing out handouts in a patronizing way and not actually doing anything to directly aid in countries of the continent getting on their own two feet - throwing cash at Africa won't solve the continental issues.

:yep:
I think its great that China is investing in Africa, someone needs to if the continent has any hope of developing in the long run.

I understand that the housing isn't affordable for locals but it can benefit them in many other ways. Firstly, the construction would require labour, a requirement further extended once the place is running with people to maintain the estate and run the shops.

End result are wealthier Angolans and cheap goods for China. Win-win!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Galaxy Nexus
Original post by rightofcentre
I think its great that China is investing in Africa, someone needs to if the continent has any hope of developing in the long run.

I understand that the housing isn't affordable for locals but it can benefit them in many other ways. Firstly, the construction would require labour, a requirement further extended once the place is running with people to maintain the estate and run the shops.

:yep:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 97
Original post by rightofcentre

Have you any information showing the chinese used african labour? If their past is anything to go by this project was built by chinese, to house chinese to work in chinese owned factories.
Original post by TheHansa
Have you any information showing the chinese used african labour? If their past is anything to go by this project was built by chinese, to house chinese to work in chinese owned factories.

Regardless, Chinese residents living there will have to buy Angolan goods and services, having the same effect.

Reply 99
Original post by TheHansa

Where in the article have you seen that it is to house Chinese people? It is simply a business opportunity for a Chinese company who can fulfill that contract at a cheaper rate than western companies. The Chinese are being paid by the Angolan government with oil. So I don't see why would the Angolans give those accommodation to Chinese workers working in Chinese owned factories. Can you explain your logic?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending