Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How cheaply can I do London?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How cheaply do you think I could get to London from the east midlands, and visit two galleries in one day?

The train tickets are moderate in price, it's just the cost of buses / taxis - Are they expensive?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielMartin)
    How cheaply do you think I could get to London from the east midlands, and visit two galleries in one day?

The train tickets are moderate in price, it's just the cost of buses / taxis - Are they expensive?
    if you're watching the cash, don't even bother getting a taxi. it's probably worth getting an oyster card just for the day, which you can buy from the kiosk at any tube station. (£5+however much you need to put on).

if you like you can plan your journey here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

a bus journey (however long) is £1.35 with an oyster card and £2.30 without.
    there's a daily price cap of around £4 or something where you don't pay anything more even if you do more journeys.

tube journeys depend on how far you go, what time you're travelling and whch zones you're going through (going through zone 1, the centre of london, is more expensive). trains are more expensive than buses, i think i usually spend around £2-3 per journey.

it's much easier if you plan in advance where you're going, it's easy to get lost!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Assuming the galleries you want to visit are fairly central, get a zones 1-2 travelcard. It's about £9 but you can get on as many buses/trains/tubes as your heart desires.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canŵio)
    if you're watching the cash, don't even bother getting a taxi. it's probably worth getting an oyster card just for the day, which you can buy from the kiosk at any tube station. (£5+however much you need to put on).

if you like you can plan your journey here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

a bus journey (however long) is £1.35 with an oyster card and £2.30 without.
    there's a daily price cap of around £4 or something where you don't pay anything more even if you do more journeys.

tube journeys depend on how far you go, what time you're travelling and whch zones you're going through (going through zone 1, the centre of london, is more expensive). trains are more expensive than buses, i think i usually spend around £2-3 per journey.

it's much easier if you plan in advance where you're going, it's easy to get lost!
    Yep it's what I'm terrified off. As I feel sure I will, and both galleries are apparently like, a tube stop walk and or bus ride away from the station
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep it's what I'm terrified off. As I feel sure I will, and both galleries are apparently like, a tube stop walk and or bus ride away from the station
    where are you visiting? i can tell you how to get there
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    "How cheaply can I do London?"

I dunno, ask her :sexface:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    "How cheaply can I do London?"

I dunno, ask her :sexface:
    I'm sorry, I appear to have invited one of her jesters. By all means, make some sexual innuendo about a small penis, blowing and sucking london and "that's what she said".
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Buy an underground card, it costs about a fiver with a YP railcard.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

If you've got a 16-25 railcard or any railcard at all you can get a 1-6 travelcard for
    £5.80 which means you can use any form of transport (excluding the river boats and the Emirates sky wire thingy) and I'm guessing the cost of your ticket down will be about £15/20 (with railcard)

Don't bother with an Oyster unless you're planning on coming down again.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hitch-hike. London's REALLY friendly like that.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could walk? I've walked round loadsa places in London.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you don't have a student railcard then National Express coaches could be your best bet, I've done Coventry to London Victoria for £13 return before.

Also agree with walking where practical, I got the tube everywhere when I first went but realised that half of the stops I was getting on / off at were less than 10 mins walk apart.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Can you get a travelcard included in your train ticket?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 6, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.