The Student Room Group

The reasons for opposing gay marriage

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tazarooni89
But the fact that you have chosen to put it into "basic terms" has oversimplified the argument. We already know that more expensive things aren't necessarily inferior to less expensive things, because people might actually want to pay more money, because the like the expensive thing more than the less expensive thing.

chefdave's point is that more expensive things are inferior to less expensive things in situations where you would prefer to take the less expensive option, but you are unable to.

I'd say it's a financial disadvantage to have to take the more expensive route to have kids. But gay people don't all want kids, they don't have to have IVF/a surrogate/medical sperm donation if they do want kids, and it doesn't make gay people inferior because they have one potential financial disadvantage.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Yeah, and both this should be fixed and the same should be changed.

Sorry, I don't really understand this sentence. What do you mean?

Fine, but I propose a compromise. Seeing as how straight people keep saying it doesn't make a difference and gay people want their union to be called marriage, we call the straight one 'civil partnership' and the gay one 'marriage'. Why not?

I don't see anything wrong with the terminology being that way round. But I consider it a strange idea, simply because changes in language aren't something you can implement just by flicking a switch. They evolve and develop over time to the way that they are. Just because you decide that you're suddenly going to change the words around doesn't mean everyone else is going to suddenly start using them that way round.

For example, suppose I have a wife. And someone comes along and asks me "Are you married?". Now according to these new definitions, I am not, I am in a civil partnership. So I would have to say "no, I'm in a civil partnership". But then they would likely misunderstand me, and think I am gay. Because it is the straight union which has been called "marriage" for hundreds of years, and has become conventional in ordinary social usage. The whole point of communication is to form a mutual understanding - which is not possible when different people have totally different ideas of what various words mean.
(edited 11 years ago)
Sorry, I don't really understand this sentence. What do you mean?

Both fix the inequalities so that they are made totally equal in terms of rights, and also change the name. Both are worth fighting for.

I don't see anything wrong with the terminology being that way round. But I consider it a strange idea, simply because changes in language aren't something you can implement just by flicking a switch. They evolve and develop over time to the way that they are.

For example, suppose I have a wife. And someone comes along and asks me "Are you married?". Now according to these new definitions, I am not, I am in a civil partnership. So I would have to say "no, I'm in a civil partnership". But then they would likely misunderstand me, and think I am gay. Because it is the straight union which has been called "marriage" for hundreds of years, and has become conventional in ordinary social usage.

If it was made clear that the gay union would be called marriage and the straight union a civil partnership, then there wouldn't be any confusion.

Another concern I just remembered when you said that - with them being called different things, when you declare your marital status you are also forced to declare your sexual orientation - which people often have no need to know and can lead to discrimination.
I'd say it's a financial disadvantage to have to take the more expensive route to have kids. But gay people don't all want kids, they don't have to have IVF/a surrogate/medical sperm donation if they do want kids, and it doesn't make gay people inferior because they have one potential financial disadvantage.

Well sure, perhaps you don't like the word "inferior" - but again, it's just semantics. The actual material point of the argument is simply to point out the existence of certain disadvantages such as this one.
Well sure, perhaps you don't like the word "inferior" - but again, it's just semantics. The actual material point of the argument is simply to point out the existence of certain disadvantages such as this one.

Gay people have a potential disadvantage in that should they choose to have children it may cost them money. Straight people have a disadvantage in that they can have contraceptive failures that lead to unwanted pregnancies.
There are disadvantages and advantages to both, therefore you can't say that one is inferior to the other by virtue of one potential disadvantage.
Reply 105
Original post by Carter78
Not inane, curious.

That was a statement from me not an accusation. HIV (not aids btw) is more prevalent within the gay community.

I thought you were speaking either metaphorically of a "cost" of being gay (the hightened chance of an illness such as HIV) or you were speaking of a physical "financial cost" of being gay - if you opted for IVF in order to have a baby. I was genuinely curious, chill, it's a Friday :wink:

Apologies, I thought you were out to make a cheap shot and claim the moral highground at my expense, now I know that's not the case. Yes, I was talking about the financial cost that homosexual couples are more likely to incur if they decide to start a family. On average a single cycle of IVF for example costs £5000, and there's no guarantee that it'll work. So I'd certainly describe it as an emotional and financial disadvantage if you have to go down this road. It's not homophobic to point out these inconvenient truths to the PC crowd, unless objective reality is homophobic that is. :cool:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by K.ChosenOne
I totally agree with this. I don't find the concept disgusting though as they don't really choose to be gay and it's like a norm that I see everyday. But yeah I do think its supposed to be men and women. Its just the tradition in me. If being gay was natural then they would be able to have children naturally.

Sorry, but how did you manage to post this? On a computer I imagine. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think computers are natural.
(edited 11 years ago)
Both fix the inequalities so that they are made totally equal in terms of rights, and also change the name. Both are worth fighting for.

If it was made clear that the gay union would be called marriage and the straight union a civil partnership, then there wouldn't be any confusion.

Well how exactly do you plan to do that? I'm rather sceptical of the idea that you can simply "make it clear" that this is what the words mean now, and expect all the hundreds of millions of english speakers in the world to suddenly change. Perhaps it is possible, with a huge international effort over several generations, to swap over the terms "marriage" and "civil partnership". But I think that's just more effort than it's worth.

I disagree that a change in name is worth fighting for. The purpose of names and words is simply so that other people understand what I'm talking about when I communicate with them. And we already manage that just fine.

Look back to the analogy I made before. What would you think if black people decided that from now on they all want to be called "white" instead, and someone suggested that we swap over the meanings of the words "black" and "white", and expect everyone to speak that way from now on. Would it sound like a realistic idea to you? Worth the effort?

Another concern I just remembered when you said that - with them being called different things, when you declare your marital status you are also forced to declare your sexual orientation - which people often have no need to know and can lead to discrimination.

I don't really see that as a problem with the names we use. Rather, that's just a problem with the fact that people discriminate on such grounds. As I said, the purpose of words and names are for mutual understanding in communication. And if we start changing the meanings of words and then finding people misunderstanding each other, then that is a problem with the names we use.
Gay people have a potential disadvantage in that should they choose to have children it may cost them money. Straight people have a disadvantage in that they can have contraceptive failures that lead to unwanted pregnancies.
There are disadvantages and advantages to both, therefore you can't say that one is inferior to the other by virtue of one potential disadvantage.

No, I'm not saying one is inferior to the other by virtue of one potential disadvantage. I think that it may be different amongst different people - but that the one which is inferior from any person's point of view is the one which carries the set of disadvantages, potential disadvantages, risks and other undesirable associations that they are less willing to accept.
(edited 11 years ago)
Do you find it disgusting because "the bible says so"?

Original post by Nav_Mallhi
It's not natural! Nature has designed a male and a female to be together, hence only a man and a woman can have children. Not men and men or women and women. Sorry gay people but I find this whole concept rather disgusting. However I know some really friendly gay men, they are really nice people, but I just can't seem to understand why they choose a man instead of a woman to be with *shivers*
Reply 110
No, I'm not saying one is inferior to the other by virtue of one potential disadvantage. I think that it may be different amongst different people - but that the one which is inferior is the one which carries the set of disadvantages, potential disadvantages, risks etc. that you are less willing to accept.

The potential risks and disadvantages are different between same-sex and mixed-sex relationships, it's true, but they're also largely to do with external factors. The cost of an IVF cycle, the risk of HIV exposure, etc are largely determined by your environment (the market in the case of IVF).

Inferior implies, to my mind, something about the intrinsic quality of things. Being subject to disadvantage does not make something inferior.
Original post by mmmpie
The potential risks and disadvantages are different between same-sex and mixed-sex relationships, it's true, but they're also largely to do with external factors. The cost of an IVF cycle, the risk of HIV exposure, etc are largely determined by your environment (the market in the case of IVF).

Inferior implies, to my mind, something about the intrinsic quality of things. Being subject to disadvantage does not make something inferior.

To my mind, it doesn't imply anything intrinsic. Like how the boss of a company is "superior" to his employees. He may not be intrinsically better than them in any way. The circumstances are simply such that he is in a position with some advantage over them.
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
Why is is you get to pick and choose? Does the bible not condon rape, slavery and lots of other things?

Pretty much. Gluttony is frowned upon too but you won't see many Anglicans commenting on this.
Reply 113
To my mind, it doesn't imply anything intrinsic. Like how the boss of a company is "superior" to his employees. He may not be intrinsically better than them in any way. The circumstances are simply such that he is in a position with some advantage over them.

I wouldn't describe the boss as being superior (and the employees as being inferior). I'd describe the boss as being more senior, and the employees as being subordinate to him. I might use the noun superior, in the sense of a person hierarchically above somebody else, but I wouldn't use the adjective - it has a different meaning.

In any case, there is a big difference in context. When talking about the employer-employee relationship it's clear that you're talking about a hierarchical socioeconomic relationship.
Original post by VeniViciVidi
The average age of the people in the above picture don't look like they'll be on the planet for another 10 years, let alone 40.

I shouldn't have giggled... oh well, too late now :P
Reply 115
Original post by Carter78
You're absolutely right that it's not homophobic to point out the costs of IVF; there is a similar debate to be had whether gay couples should get IVF treatment on the NHS or not.

Personally I don't think so, because IVF should be reserved (and paid for by the state) for those couples who biologically cannot have children (through blocked ovaries etc). Whereas a healthy gay individual could have sex with a member of the opposite sex (a close friend or something) in order to have a baby.

If they were to have sex with a member of the opposite sex then of course this still leaves one of the homosexual parents out of the biological loop so to speak.

However this moral conundrum wouldn't be solved either by IVF, as one of the homosexual parents would be left out of this procedure as well. (Only one of the homosexual male parents would need to donate their sperm, and equally only one of a homosexual female couple would need to bear a child to labour, meaning that in both situations their partners are not biologically involved in the making of the child.)

Agreed. Good post.
No, I'm not saying one is inferior to the other by virtue of one potential disadvantage. I think that it may be different amongst different people - but that the one which is inferior from any person's point of view is the one which carries the set of disadvantages, potential disadvantages, risks and other undesirable associations that they are less willing to accept.

So it's completely subjective and objectively neither is superior or inferior. Also I think you are confusing desirability with quality...just because something is undesirable doesn't make it inferior per se.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
The bible says a lot of things. For instance you aren't supposed to wear two different types of cloth, but I presume you have worn denim jeans and a t-shirt, at least when double denim wasn't a trend :tongue:

Why is is you get to pick and choose? Does the bible not condon rape, slavery and lots of other things?

What about single parent families, or those that lose a mother or father? Do you condem those families too?

Why is it that when someone says they are Christian people start insulting everything they can think of about that religion rather than sticking to the relevant topic? As you brought it up, I personally believe that the New Testament takes precedence over the Old Testament, thus invalidating every argument you just stated.

I don't condemn single parent families, but they aren't the ideal environment to raise a child in, and nor are gay marriages.
Reply 118
I guess the real reason is tradition and the way you have been brought up. No one is nasty enough to truly oppose it, but when something has been learnt from RE or anything else from a young age it stays attached to you. Take my nan for example: 82 years, Irish catholic family with lots of kids, no such thing as gay when she was young or probably up until she was about 40!

She doesn't know anyone who is gay, well my sisters friend, but she doesn't really understand it bless her, and she has nothing against gays but she's always been taught that marriage is between a man and a woman for the purpose of having kids and so to her, she isn't keen on gay marriage.

Equally as a young ,modern catholic I'm totally for it - let people do what they want and if people have love for each other no matter how strong or weak that link let them express it. Marriage in my eyes is an expression of love.

When I'm a pensioner people will look back at todays society (yes even 2012) and think how unequal and unfair it is - strange to think it I guess.

(Oh but following on from an argument above, I really hate the idea of using artificial methods to create humans. Fair enough, IVF if it's just taking the sperm and re-inserting it, but the whole idea and concept of surrogate babies, fusing sperm, changing DNA, whatnot scares me and what if we damaged the human race in many years to come. I think gay parents could make great parents to adopted children, but unless one of them is prepared to simply just have sex with someone of the opposite sex to make the baby naturally, I disagree with it totally (that goes for men and women though too, the concept of artificially trying to change nature really frightens me))
Original post by M'Ling
There are plenty of single parents, though, who manage to give a role model for the sex of the missing parent. If your cousins don't receive a male influence due to having no father, then that's their mothers' faults; not everybody gets male influence, thank goodness, from their fathers.

In terms of what the Bible says, I would suggest that it was written without the knowledge we now have regarding homosexuality. We have to move on from 1st-Century Palestine (or even earlier) and come to the conclusion that everybody can love, everybody should have equal rights, and that it is an insult to the homosexual community to alienate them based on a corrupt and biased text.

Yes, and there are plenty of single parents that don't. The fact of the matter is that children need role models of both sexes, and children growing up with two parents of the same sex are far less likely to have strong role models of both sexes.

That's your opinion; however I don't believe that the Bible is corrupt and biased; in fact I consider that to be blasphemy.

And why should the rights of a homosexual couple override the rights of a child to a mother and a father?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending