The Student Room Group

The reasons for opposing gay marriage

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madders94
Now that's not very Christian of you.

People like that are only Christian when it suits them. Otherwise it's just their own warped version of their religion.
Original post by funsongfactory
Scientific research has repeatedly shown that children raised by different-sex parents do better than children raised by same-sex parents.

Where is this scientific research? You've been given a link to evidence suggesting that there's no difference, you can state "there is scientific research" until you're blue in the face but until you prove it, it's not going to work.
Scientific research has repeatedly shown that children raised by different-sex parents do better than children raised by same-sex parents.

Actually it shows the opposite that children raised by same-sex parents perform and turn out just as well, if not better than, those raised by heterosexual parents.
Original post by thunder_chunky
It's a Christian country in name only really. There are rather a lot of atheists in this country should they all leave too? Are you going to make them leave?
Honestly I tolerate religion but when they start infringing on things that ought to be common sense because of their laws that are two millenium old I tend to take them less seriously. As should anyone with half a brain and an ounce of common sense.
I'm not insulting religions beacuse I don't believe in them and even if I did I'm not sure it would be hypocritical. Care to explain that one?

I know but honestly I don't think having a male role model is the be all and end all so I think that using that to say two lesbians raising a child or children is more hazardous is pretty thin. It's a pretty weak argument.

Britain is legally a Christian country. Simple.

"Am I going to make them leave?" Wow you're ridiculous. Seriously, grow up. If you don't like how a country is run, go somewhere else. That's pretty simple really.

And it's only your opinion that it's 'common sense'; that doesn't mean that it actually is!

If religious people insulted what atheists believe half as much as atheists insult religious believers then you'd kick off big time! Hypocritical.

Do you have any evidence to back that argument up or just "what you think?" Because my cousin has two same-sex (female) parents and honestly it's impacting on him big-time in a bad way that he has no male role models.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Not really clutching at anything, just proving a point :smile:. You don't follow everything you only choose what you want. So now the real question is why are you choosing the scripture on homosexuality? How is that any more ridiculous than the passage on mixing fabrics?

Grow. Up.
To create a child biologically you need a mother and a father. That is what a child needs naturally. Simple.

"My right to make things up." Not gonna bother talking to someone who's just going to belittle me because you don't have an argument with any weight to it.

Which is why all children in orphanages are dead, and if a parent of a child dies, the child dies too, and step-parents are immoral and kill children.

A child doesn't NEED it, it may potentially be better for the child to have it, but if they needed it, they wouldn't be able to live without it.
Reply 166
Wow how stupid are you? JOSEPH WAS A MALE ROLE MODEL TO JESUS YOU RETARD.

Actually there's a lot of scientific research that children do better with a parent of each sex as opposed to two of the same sex.

It's not nonsensical at all. I don't know who these perfect children you know are, but I know plenty of gay people who were bullied at school for it. That's just what kids are like.

But love isn't the only thing that matters in life, and thinking that it is isn't going to get you very far I'm afraid.

No, it isn't evil, blindness or a lack or tolerance that makes me believe that a heterosexual couple will GENERALLY SPEAKING do a better job of raising a child than a homosexual couple, it's scientific fact.

You convey yourself dreadfully. Quite frankly, this whole debate has been a struggle. Not intellectually, no, in fact, it's like debating a child. No, rather your language is terrible and incoherent. You disgrace yourself with the above attempted insult. Basically, you come off as incredibly stupid, not least because of your deluded faith which, it seems, you don't follow well at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Golden Rule doesn't exactly preach telling strangers they're "retards".

It's funny you should back your argument with "science", then show me no books or websites which prove your point. Typical Christian.

Children only bully other children about being gay because what they're parents have taught them. If the world were left to you, then we'd never change anything because of these losers who bully others. No, you have to stand up through doing the correct thing.

You bore me now with your childishness, and frankly I find your lack of intellectual ambition (accepting what the Bible says BECAUSE the Bible says it) intellectually repugnant.
(edited 11 years ago)
Grow. Up.

I would inquire where I was behaving childish or immature. I pointed out a flaw in your logic, and your religious practice. I am using my critical thinking skills, which is considered 'mature', as opposed to you who just follows your religion when it suits you :smile: And throws a tantrum when criticized. remind me who needs to grow up? :colondollar:

"Am I going to make them leave?" Wow you're ridiculous. Seriously, grow up. If you don't like how a country is run, go somewhere else. That's pretty simple really.

Yeah legally but like I said there are many atheists here so what do you suggest they do, leave? The fact is that this may be a Christian country in name but that doesn't mean we should let religion dictate our way of life. Because that's not what we do. If we allowed such things we'd have some pretty absurd and some pretty backward laws.
You telling me to grow up is funny because you are the one that so far has provided a weak argument based on your warped take on your religion. I would ask you to do better but I know that might be pushing it.

And it's only your opinion that it's 'common sense'; that doesn't mean that it actually is!

Err it's the opinion of me and pretty much anyone else who doesn't like a few lines in a 2000 year old book literally and seriously to the point where we look down on others because the book says so. Funny really, the higher up in the tower you think you are, the lower you actually go.

If religious people insulted what atheists believe half as much as atheists insult religious believers then you'd kick off big time! Hypocritical.

Don't religious people do that anyway? Aren't religious people always arguing with Atheists and calling names back at them in the constant too and fro of religious debates? Plus if religious people did do that I wouldn't kick off. So no hypocrisy. Fail.
Come back when you actually have a credible argument.

Do you have any evidence to back that argument up or just "what you think?" Because my cousin has two same-sex (female) parents and honestly it's impacting on him big-time in a bad way that he has no male role models.

A guy I went to school with had no father. His dad was in the RAF and died when he was young. He was left in a home with him mum and two sisters but still he found male rolemodels elsewhere. In sports, with millitary people he knew. After he left school he joined the army and now serves with the Paras. (Parachute Regiment.) If you want to know who he is, he's the Para with the pink fatigues. (Narf!)

So I think people don't have to have a male role model in the home, however I agree it helps. I just don't think that such an argument can be used to oppose gay marriage because I just don't think it alone counts as justification. I still think it's a pretty weak argument.
And free of religion to influence. Although I think that would be pretty hard.

So tell me exactly how one would go about moving Country without the risk of visa issues, a language barrier and being worse off politically or financially than in the UK?

Really? Going for the atheists hate on religious card? Clearly you haven't looked at the majority of the world where there is severe prejudice against atheists, sometimes to the point of capital punishment.

How exactly is it impacting on him? Not to mention the same could be said about single mothers and people raised by nannies.
Reply 171

One anecdote does not an argument make. And anyway, you can hardly claim to be an objective observer.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Well I think that they want to be able to say they are married, in name and legally.

They already have the right to say that they are married, don't they? Nobody's going to come an arrest them for it. They can proclaim "we're married" as loudly as they like already. But since many of the rest of us understand the term "civil partnership" to refer to this union, then we have just as much of a right to call it that.

To be honest it's not just for the legality, marriage is one of the big final steps of commitment in a relationship, I don't think such a thing should be confined to only two people of the opposite sex.

The fact that civil partnerships are almost the same as marriage shouldn't mean that they should settle for civil partnerships.

To be honest, I'd consider this sort of sentiment to be more demeaning to homosexuals. I mean, civil partnerships do contain the same contractual elements as marriage. Essentially, they are marriages. The only difference is that they are between members of the same sex. So why should civil partnerships be considered something to "settle for", as though it somehow isn't as good? You say that marriage is one of the final steps of commitment in a relationship. And what, civil partnership isn't?

I mean, you don't get straight people complaining "I want the right to have a civil partnership!" They're perfectly happy to call it "marriage", the same word we have been using all this time. Gay people wanting to describe their own relationships as "marriage" as well, using the term traditionally ascribed to straight people, trying to blur the distinction between straight and gay marriage looks like some kind of inferiority complex to me. It just indicates a feeling of "civil partnership isn't as good as marriage", even though aside from the fact that the participants are same-sex, civil partnership is marriage in all other respects.

If there is little to no difference between the two then it really shouldn't matter or make a difference to allow them the right to marry. It's really not a big deal to allow them.

This really misses the point. They're already allowed to engage in whatever kind of relationship they want. It's not that gay people aren't allowed to marry. We simply call it "civil partnership" instead of marriage. In practice their rights are exactly the same. They can live together, share property, inherit from one another, get tax reliefs and everything else that marriage includes. The whole campaign for "gay marriage" is purely just a case of changing the name.
Why can't people just learn to live and let live?

I'm not gay, but if two consenting adults who are in love want to get married, I personally don't see anything wrong with it.
I don't have any problem with gay people or gay marriage as the post about states, live and let live. It's their lives, who are we to stop them? It doesn't effect us tbh.
Having said that i don't like seeing gay on gay action or whatever, it makes me feel uncomfortable (e.g. getting off) i guess it's something i'll just have to get used to. I don't know enough about it to make a full judgement, but if someone is born that way then what can you do y'know. Imagine what it's like for them, but if they choose to then that's a different story.
I wouldn't say i agree or disagree, i don't see a problem with them getting married though, as long as it isn't in a church.
Original post by tazarooni89
They already have the right to say that they are married, don't they? Nobody's going to come an arrest them for it. They can proclaim "we're married" as loudly as they like already. But since many of the rest of us understand the term "civil partnership" to refer to this union, then we have just as much of a right to call it that.

I meant for them to say "We're married" because they really are. Of course people can say it but if they aren't then it has less meaning.

To be honest, I'd consider this sort of sentiment to be more demeaning to homosexuals. I mean, civil partnerships do contain the same contractual elements as marriage. Essentially, they are marriages. The only difference is that they are between members of the same sex. So why should civil partnerships be considered something to "settle for", as though it somehow isn't as good? You say that marriage is one of the final steps of commitment in a relationship. And what, civil partnership isn't?

I mean, you don't get straight people complaining "I want the right to have a civil partnership!" They're perfectly happy to call it "marriage", the same word we have been using all this time. Gay people wanting to describe their own relationships as "marriage" as well, using the term traditionally ascribed to straight people, trying to blur the distinction between straight and gay marriage looks like some kind of inferiority complex to me. It just indicates a feeling of "civil partnership isn't as good as marriage", even though aside from the fact that the participants are same-sex, civil partnership is marriage in all other respects.

It's not really the same though, and frankly Civil Partnerships is lesser in name. Marriage is, in the eyes of some, the be all and end all of commitment in a relationship. The fact is, some gay people, many gay people probably do think civil partnerships aren't as good which is why they want the right to marry.
A civil partnership isn't, in my opinion, the be all and end all. Marriage is. And once again, if marriage is the same as civil partnerships in all but name then really it's no problem allowing marriage. Then people who want a marriage can get married and those who want a civil partnership, can get a civil partnership.

I think you're getting a little bogged down with semantics here.

This really misses the point. They're already allowed to engage in whatever kind of relationship they want. It's not that gay people aren't allowed to marry. We simply call it "civil partnership" instead of marriage. In practice their rights are exactly the same. They can live together, share property, inherit from one another, get tax reliefs and everything else that marriage includes. The whole campaign for "gay marriage" is purely just a case of changing the name.

They are allowed to engage in whatever kind of relationship they like except that of two married people. They can do all those things yes but that's really not an argument to not allow them to do it.
I'm sorry but saying "well they can do everything else legally so they don't really need this" is a pretty poor argument. It's a poor argument because it doesn't really stand up when justifying or trying to justify when two people who love each other very much can't get married.

You said earlier "you don't hear straight people aking for civil partnerships." That's because they probably can get them if they wanted. The rights avaliable to straight couples are probably a lot more open than the rights of a gay couple so really that's a bit of a moot point.

I think it's wrong to assume that gay couples don't need the right to marry. I would argue that they do, just as much as a straight couple. Because there is just as much love, passion, and everything else in a gay relationship than there is in a straight one.
Reply 176
Original post by tazarooni89

What I think you're missing is that a marriage is not simply a contract, it's also a symbol. No matter how similar the legal effect of marriages and civil partnerships may be, they have different connotations. The very fact that they are separate institutions is symbolic.

Can I see this research please?
Original post by mmmpie
What I think you're missing is that a marriage is not simply a contract, it's also a symbol. No matter how similar the legal effect of marriages and civil partnerships may be, they have different connotations. The very fact that they are separate institutions is symbolic.

The symbolic connotations of 'marriage' have been cultivated over a long period of time. The same could have been done for the Civil partnership, yet the LGBT community insists on marriage. The sad fact they were so quick to cast away the civil partnership for ''marriage'' makes the civil partnership seem like a much ''lesser'' option.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 179
As long as two people love each other, regardless of sex, i fail to see the problem

“I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.”
Eminem
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending