The Student Room Group

Unqualified Teaching/cover supervisor

Hi,

So I've been applying for cover supervisor positions to gain classroom experience so that I can apply for a PGCE. I have now been shortlisted at two schools for the cover supervisor role so have some interviews next week. :smile: I don't know detail about the second one, but my first one involves an 'activity' and then an 'interview'. If anyone has had an interview for this type of role I'd be grateful for any tips/advice. Someone has already mentioned thinking about behaviour management - so I've got a few ideas on that.

One of the schools I'm shortlisted at contacted me this week to see if I'd be interested in teaching unqualified for a term or so (possibly with the option to do GTP/School direct or whatever is being offered in 2013). Now, I hadn't applied for this so was surprised/amazed etc. I understand that it would clearly be some great experience for a teacher training application. I'm going to visit, find out more, and discuss the possibility with the school next week. I would be grateful if anyone could share their experiences of unqualified teaching and whether there are any questions I should absolutely try to get answered (e.g. things like support/planning/texts maybe?). If I get this, I would be teaching yr 7/8 English. My degree/MA are in English Language/Linguistics so I'm okay with the lang side, but haven't done Literature in a while so a bit more apprehensive about that.

So if anyone has any tips, advice or would like to share that experience, that'd be great.
Reply 1
Hi,

I work as a Cover Supervisor, but in lots of different schools via an agency.

In my case, this has also turned into unqualified teaching and I am currently coming to the end of 9.5 weeks full-time teaching in my subject (I also did 5.5 weeks in another school before Easter).

Here are a few general tips I wish somebody had given me at the start:

-Teaching doesn't always mean being on your own. Don't be afraid to call on your Head of Department or Senior Leadership Team if there are problems - it's their job to support other staff and they shouldn't look down on you for needing help sometimes.

-Don't let a bad day get to you - obviously try and see what you could improve to make it better next time, but try not to get upset about it. Kids can be totally different from one lesson to the next depending on what else is going on in their lives.

-Snatch any time you can alone in the classroom to feel prepared. Might be tricky in the role you've been offered, as you might not have your own classroom, but if you do I'd definitely recommend getting to school early to take a deep breath and prepare for the day!

-Scrounge ideas and resources off other teachers as much as possible. For ages I've been relying on the textbooks a lot, and then making up my own activities to build on the work covered (I teach French). But in the last few weeks, I've been talking to my colleagues a lot more, and borrowing and photocopying handouts as well as more general ideas.

-Schools can be really disorganised, but just keep asking until you get the resources you need (registers, pupil photos, keys, computer access, etc.) In my experience, nobody actually tries to keep these things from you, it's just that you have to find the specific person who can help you and ask them directly as otherwise messages seem to get lost.

As for the English Literature side of things, I'm sure you'll be fine. Your language skills will surely help there, and you're always going to be more advanced than KS3 pupils. I'm currently teaching a bit of German despite not having done it since AS Level!

Good luck!
Thanks for this!
So just in case anyone else reads this thought I'd say a little about the first interview.

I think it went okay - I was with a panel of students (2 year 10s, a year 7 and a year 8) I talked to them a bit/asked them some questions (I wasn't really sure what to say/ask so just asked them how they found school, what subjects they enjoyed etc). I then spoke to a current cover supervisor which was great - she's quite experience with it and clearly enjoys her job. I then had a tour of the school and a chance to meet the head teacher. After that I was interviewed by a deputy and an assistant head teacher (I think).

I think it went okay - there were a few questions I wasn't sure about at first - particularly some of the ones the kids asked - it was all very fast paced. But I had a chance to expand/clarify etc after some extra thought in the interview with the staff.

I was worried I'd be too nervous/shy but I don't think I came across that way. I think it went okay, but I guess I'll find out more in a few days time.

Going to discuss the unqualified post later in the week, and the other CS interview the day after.
Reply 4
Original post by redwood_phoenix
So just in case anyone else reads this thought I'd say a little about the first interview.

I think it went okay - I was with a panel of students (2 year 10s, a year 7 and a year 8) I talked to them a bit/asked them some questions (I wasn't really sure what to say/ask so just asked them how they found school, what subjects they enjoyed etc). I then spoke to a current cover supervisor which was great - she's quite experience with it and clearly enjoys her job. I then had a tour of the school and a chance to meet the head teacher. After that I was interviewed by a deputy and an assistant head teacher (I think).

I think it went okay - there were a few questions I wasn't sure about at first - particularly some of the ones the kids asked - it was all very fast paced. But I had a chance to expand/clarify etc after some extra thought in the interview with the staff.

I was worried I'd be too nervous/shy but I don't think I came across that way. I think it went okay, but I guess I'll find out more in a few days time.

Going to discuss the unqualified post later in the week, and the other CS interview the day after.

I know it's a year later, but I was wondering if you got either of the jobs that you were interviewed for?

I am currently an LSA in a Primary school in the mornings, and I am studying BSc Maths and German with the Open University in the afternoons. I would like to be a Secondary Maths teacher as soon as I finish my degree (6 years part-time), but in the meantime, a Cover Supervisor looks like a really good choice for me. I have ABC at A-level and 10 A*-A's at GCSE, but I don't have a higher education qualification yet. I have volunteered in Primary and Secondary schools, all of which I obtained references for, and I started work in a Primary school this September (not long I know). I do have experience in working with challenging pupils too (which I loved) and it's mentioned in several references, which should help I guess. Do you think that this is enough experience to even be considered as a Cover Supervisor? I feel that I'd be a good CS, but I just don't know if schools will even consider me. Oh, and in case it matters, I am 21 :smile:.
Original post by LetitiaD
I know it's a year later, but I was wondering if you got either of the jobs that you were interviewed for?

I am currently an LSA in a Primary school in the mornings, and I am studying BSc Maths and German with the Open University in the afternoons. I would like to be a Secondary Maths teacher as soon as I finish my degree (6 years part-time), but in the meantime, a Cover Supervisor looks like a really good choice for me. I have ABC at A-level and 10 A*-A's at GCSE, but I don't have a higher education qualification yet. I have volunteered in Primary and Secondary schools, all of which I obtained references for, and I started work in a Primary school this September (not long I know). I do have experience in working with challenging pupils too (which I loved) and it's mentioned in several references, which should help I guess. Do you think that this is enough experience to even be considered as a Cover Supervisor? I feel that I'd be a good CS, but I just don't know if schools will even consider me. Oh, and in case it matters, I am 21 :smile:.

Hi,

I was actually offered a job by both schools - one the role I interviewed/visited for, and the other a slightly different one that would have been a bit more learning/literacy support.

I ended up going for the unqualified teacher/cover supervisor role as I though in terms of getting a place on a PGCE this may offer slightly better experience. It was good experience and a I learnt quite a lot, it was a steep learning curve especially in the first term! I've since decided teaching isn't what I want to do right now, but feel I had a good go of it.

To be honest I don't really know exactly what my school was looking for when I applied, but I had quite a bit of experience working with kids (through Guides and Camp America), and another CS hired the same time had some youth work experience. Academically, I don't think the fact you don't have your degree back would be a deal breaker as I believe when I was looking you just needed to have A Levels. I'd expect the face that you've got some experience in schools and with challenging pupils would be a plus, but I guess it would depend who else was applying. I would say it's worth applying though and seeing what happens!

Good luck!
Reply 6
Hi,
I am employed by the agency as a CS and is great fun.Now I love to apply for a permanent job as CS,but I am not sure how to make the best application to be offered interview and hopefully a job.Do you have any simple application form?

Wit regards
Alex

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending