The Student Room Group

Law at Uni

I understand that to do Law, the grades that you must obtain are not subject specific. I.E - I could get AAA in any 3 subjects.

However, are there some subjects that are more likely to benefit your application to Uni?

My college interview is on Tuesday, and I've still not managed to narrow it down to 4 AS levels that I want to take.

Chemistry
Business Studies
English Language
History
Psychology
Sociology

I find English REALLY boring like it's mind numbing lol, but I've seen around that Uni's like to see English A levels, unless I've misread somewhere. But out of those, do you think there are any mixture I could do that would be of an advantage?
Reply 1
I'd say avoid Business and Sociology as they are generally regarded as "soft" subjects.

I'm in the same position as you but these are the 5 I have chosen:
English Lit
History
Biology
German
R.S

As you can see 4 of them are prefered or "hard" subjects while I have R.S. which is not soft but isn't as highly regarded.

From those, if I were you, I'd take Chemistry, History, Psychology and switch Eng Lang for Eng Lit as Lit is preffered while Lang isn't as respected.
' If I was you I'd take Chemisty, English Language, History &' Psychology.

Remember you can always drop one in your A2 year. Most Uni's for Law like to see academic subjects more, therefore if you drop Psychology in A2 you have a 'Strong' academic set of A-Levels.

However, I'm starting Law at Uni in Sept and I have 4 A-Levels that I did last year which was English Language, Law, Psychology &' ICT with a good set of grades and I've got into every Uni I've applied for, which most people say Psychology & ICT are seen as 'soft'.

Quick Reply

Latest