The Student Room Group

'Being gay is a lifestyle choice' - do you agree?

According to a former employer of mine, being gay is a 'lifestyle choice' and not something you are born with.

How can this be? Personally, I think it's genetic as to which sex you are attracted to. How can you simply make a choice to become attracted to people of the same sex? Is it a case of perhaps people can't pull the opposite sex and therefore decide to 'turn gay', as they're frustrated at their lack of ability to pull the opposite sex?

Perhaps some of the gay or lesbian people here can enlighten me.

I'm not gay or anything btw, but just wondered what your thoughts on this subject were?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yeh this guy is obviously wrong. Why would you chose to be gay? Homosexual life is so much harder. You have to deal with the prejudices of other people, it's so much harder to find a significant other and lastly it decreases your chances of having children. I personally never want to have children and I think people who do are crazy, but they represent the majority view so....
It's definately not a choice. There was a study done that proves you are born with your sexual orientation, whether you're gay, straight, or bisexual.

Some people choose to think it's a choice because it goes against god, and god would never make someone gay, would he? Obviously he would, because gay people exist. It's more of a religious thing, really.
Your employer made a conscious choice to be straight, yes? :biggrin:
I don't think it's a choice at all, there are too many examples of suicide through homophobia to consider it a choice. You can choose to accept that you're gay and even embrace it, however that's completely different.

I'm not sure whether I would, given the choice, turn straight, however that's completely different to me choosing not to be. And I think people often misinterpret that.
The weight of evidence to counter the idea that it's a 'lifestyle choice' is overwhelming. Anyone who tries to tell you it's a lifestyle choice is just ignorant and demonstrates that they've never properly considered what sexuality means. Gay people can no more 'choose' to be attracted to the opposite sex over the same sex than straight people can 'choose' to stop finding members of the opposite sex attractive and start being attracted to members of the same sex.
Even if it was (which it's not) that wouldn't mean it's an illegitimate one. Being homophobic, however...
I think that environmental factors definitely can influence sexuality to a certain extent although it's still debatable how much of a 'choice' that really is. Buton the whole I believe that biology plays a more dominant role.
Quickly think back to the point you decided to be attracted to women, should answer the question for you.
Being gay is the same as being straight: you might like dick or pussy but it's still your decision to act on it
(edited 11 years ago)
The only people who still hold those views do so because of religion.

Retarded. I'm glad homophobia (among the younger populations) is dying out.
I'd certainly say being bisexual is a lifestyle choice for female teenagers. Negative rep me all you like, but bisexuality is 'edgy' and 'fashionable' for attention whoring teens who want their fellow male peers to stare.

This post misused the anon function. Before posting anonymously, please read the H&R guidelines - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Health_and_Relationships_Guidelines
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
this is a tough one because both born with it and its a choice are used often by the homosexual community...I don't think their sure either
Original post by Mrx123
this is a tough one because both born with it and its a choice are used often by the homosexual community...I don't think their sure either

It's not a choice in the sense that it's a natural and genetic part of humanity. It is a choice in the sense that everyone has the right to live the gay lifestyle if they want to.
Being a part of the gay lifestyle is a choice, but you cannot choose who you fancy, that part, the part that matters, is out of your hands.
Reply 15
I completly disagree. Being gay is not a lifestyle choice, is just what you are. If I suddenly decide that I want to live a gay lifestyle I'd be pretending, because I am straight and you can't lie to yourself. Therefore in my opinion, is not a lifestyle choice but a natural condition some people are born with. Gay people don't choose to be gay, they just are, the same way I didn't choose to be straight, but I am.
I hope one day ignorance of this kind dies out. Anyone who thinks a certain sexuality is a lifestyle choice makes unicellular organisms look advanced.
Reply 17
I hope people will become less ignorant and realise it's not a choice - you can't help who you are!
Reply 18
Definitely not.
Let's make this clear. Picking which sport to play for exercise is a lifestyle choice. Being LGBT is not. End of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending