Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moneymoneymoney grants and loans

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Attending university in 2013; unsure as to which course or location currently. Not entitled to any grants and my loan is the least possible 3575 (I think). My parents aren't in a position to really help me financially with university but they earn over the amount that awards a grant.

Anyone else in this position? Any suggestions?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Accommodation stretches further than my loan so how would I live? Hahahahaha.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You will have to get a part time job mate

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You get a job?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LincJnr)
    You will have to get a part time job mate

Yeah I think that's the only way but the course I'm looking at is 9-4 weeks day. Would be very difficult, also I'm thinking of someone away from home (Wales) so if I couldn't get a job in the first month I would be screwed! Haha

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Some where* sorry iPod auto correct

• 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    ...Cheaper accommodation, if possible? It is no longer going to be a case of what you want, but what you can afford.

Also, temp agency work from now onwards might be an idea. Searching for jobs now would probably not result in much, but temp agencies are good. I worked for one last summer and saved up quite a bit of money, and they get me work for other holiday periods that I'm home... so.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siani-chan)
    ...Cheaper accommodation, if possible? It is no longer going to be a case of what you want, but what you can afford.

Also, temp agency work from now onwards might be an idea. Searching for jobs now would probably not result in much, but temp agencies are good. I worked for one last summer and saved up quite a bit of money, and they get me work for other holiday periods that I'm home... so.
    Yep you're probably right. What's the cheapest accommodation you have come across? Can only find halls that are like 4500 which is obviously out of my price range. Will look into that agency thing, thanks.

• 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NirvanaFighters)
    Yep you're probably right. What's the cheapest accommodation you have come across? Can only find halls that are like 4500 which is obviously out of my price range. Will look into that agency thing, thanks.

It really depends on the university - at Leicester my accommodation was £2975. It was shared bathrooms and the cheapest the university offered but to be honest I'm glad I ended up there - I preferred having the extra money! I really do not agree with universities building all brand spanking new accommodation that costs a fortune - not all of us can afford it! (However I realise they do have to expand. just why can't it be cheaper?!) But that's another rant for another time. :p:

No probs. Good luck.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on the university - at Leicester my accommodation was £2975. It was shared bathrooms and the cheapest the university offered but to be honest I'm glad I ended up there - I preferred having the extra money! I really do not agree with universities building all brand spanking new accommodation that costs a fortune - not all of us can afford it! (However I realise they do have to expand. just why can't it be cheaper?!) But that's another rant for another time. :p:

No probs. Good luck.
    Wow that's a great price! I totally agree it needs to be cheaper, it annoys me when people who don't really need it get big grants too! Again, that's another rant!

• 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NirvanaFighters)
    Wow that's a great price! I totally agree it needs to be cheaper, it annoys me when people who don't really need it get big grants too! Again, that's another rant!

Yeah, I was pleased with it - it wasn't the best accommodation in the world but I wasn't expecting it to be - it's university! :p:

Indeed! I mean, I didn't exactly get the bare minimum but my parents were just under the threshold so I don't get a lot more. And I'd rather have the money. :p:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was pleased with it - it wasn't the best accommodation in the world but I wasn't expecting it to be - it's university! :p:

Indeed! I mean, I didn't exactly get the bare minimum but my parents were just under the threshold so I don't get a lot more. And I'd rather have the money. :p:
    Yes so would I!

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get a job in this next year, see how much you have saved, then see how much accomodation is around that time.

If you can see if you can afford shared accomodation with utility bills included in the rent and if you can get into hall, although the food may be crap, go for catered.
    try and get a job in your first year and save up as much of that money as possible, and try and carry it on in your second year.

you may find that a job in 2nd and 3rd yr will be too hard, but it depends on your (i hate to say it intelligence and your work ethic.

In my first year i had the minimum grant and a 1000 loan, so not much more than you'll be getting.

I got a job in first year from April time, and i was renting a place for 180 a month,. However, i cheated a little and practically lived in my boyfriend's halls where he was catered. The food was shocking and so more often than not we had jacket potato and beans or something like that for dinner.

Last edit...
    also, get a student account that will give you the best interest free overdraft, but try not to go into it unless you really really need to.

will you be getting a tuition fee loan? if not, i can't see you managing to save the 9000 for tuition fees so it may be an idea to start thinking of a gap year? (sorry for putting a downer on things)

If it is possible, try and live at your parents house, or with another family member so that you can still save up money during your first year. Take into account the cost (both financial and time) of traveling though.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Scholarship?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 7, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.