The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You have a valid point. It is more likely to work out with someone who has been brought up in similar lifestyle. Although, calling people freshy or statements like objectionable accent sounds quite shallow. Every Asian British boy or girl I know has a “Freshy” Parent or Grandparent. English is a language like any other language and natives will speak it much better than any other race being their first language. It is no different than you speaking, Hindi or Urdu and you will have a rather childish accent but there shouldn’t be a big deal about it.
Original post by RolyBholi
No, I would not date a freshy. All the personality attributes sound perfect, but I want to be with a British man. I say that because I want to be with a man who's had a similar lifestyle and upbringing to mine, and lived in the same culture; that's much more likely to happen with a guy who's been born and raised in Britain than in India. Plus, can't stand the freshy accent.

You have a valid point. It is more likely to work out with someone who has been brought up in similar lifestyle. Although, calling people freshy or statements like objectionable accent sounds quite shallow. Every Asian British boy or girl I know has a “Freshy” Parent or Grandparent. English is a language like any other language and natives will speak it much better than any other race being their first language. It is no different than you speaking, Hindi or Urdu and you will have a rather childish accent but there shouldn’t be a big deal about it.
Original post by noteraz
Nothing to do with 'prejudice', the compatibility is the major problem.

The 2nd/3rd generation have seen what freshies behave like for example their own parents, uncles, aunts, new arrivals and they don't want to see those embarassing attitudes in their future relationships.

Don't mind me making a joke out of it but that's the reality my freind. Though the option is still there if you're smart enough to adapt the British social aspects and language. But it's very rare to find such hybrids who can understand and live both cultures.

If you want to succeed with the British asian gials, you really gota start hiding your freshiness.

You are true to some extent. Although, calling people freshy or statements like objectionable accent sounds quite shallow. English is a language like any other language and natives will speak it much better than any other race being their first language. It is no different than you speaking, Hindi or Urdu and you will have a rather childish accent but there shouldn’t be a big deal about it. I have been livign here around 5 years and most off my friends are either british asian or english. I have been in a long relationship with an english girl from a very well educated background and i am married to a british asian girl at the moment. I have an accent and never had to hide where i am from.
i have also observed that educated British Asian girls/boys are more receptive to people from back home as compared to the "college dropouts" and 6th form type (who can't make it to uni's first time).
I guess whether its people from here or Asia, its the education that is making all the difference.
Original post by Anonymous
LOok i understand compatibility. I'm not even a so called "freshy." I'm an asian from Aus and i get plenty of attention from Brit asians and the usual Brits. The entitlement and stereotyping by british asians is really off putting though. I've found it's worse with Indians and at least with Pakistanis they are proud of their background and they don't put down freshies as much. They are also more open minded. The British Indians on tsr make me feel ashamed to be Indian.

You're just assuming OP is a typical freshy and roli poly assumed that as well. He could be well adjusted and understanding of both cultures. How do you know it's rare? How many have you met? Even if it's rare its not impossible. Maybe you only see the struggling freshies not the high class, well off ones who are really westernised. I'm sure bollywood stars like john abraham, or shahid kapur or hrithik roshan would not have problems navigating both cultures. Some Indians travel and go to International schools and understand more than their own culture.

The fact you and roli assumed all this about OP just because he mentioned freshy is sad. How would you like it if people made racist assumptions about you cos you're asian?

I've met quite a few freshies who are not like that at all. They're parents are multimillionaires but their kids want to study outside of India. They're like typical western guys and they have american or english accents. Not so hard to pick up especially if they've had work experience in a call centre. One of my friends, a freshy from Mumbai, is dating a good looking white girl and some indian girls are jealous of it.

A spot on Analysis of reality. A lot of the girls and guys looking down on Asians have never met a decent educated Asian in their life and most likely live in poor neighbourhoods, flooded with uneducated people.
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
I find this quite shallow to be honest with you. Someone who has been born and bred in India will be more likely to be aware of your culture and mother tongue and unlike some boys who are born here. Also, I don't see why you should not give someone a chance because of something as stupid as you 'can't stand the freshy accent'- ridicilous. You really cannot reject someone because you don't like their exterior...maybe trying to understand their personality would be nice!
Many people who come from developing countries i.e India are genrally more hardworking because they've seen the harships and they know how to work hard; whereas here in Briatin we get lazy ******** who just sponge off the government by depending on benefits.
I'm really not against Brtish Asian men because some are really nice and hardworking ones but I just find your arguement really immature and insulting, especially- "Plus, can't stand the freshy accent" :mad:

I completely agree with you there.
Reply 165
so much bull**** on this thread
Locking due to age of thread

Latest

Trending

Trending