The Student Room Group

Do chartered accountants have a lot of travelling opportunities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ilovecatsforlife
Ah, I see what you mean. Also, how difficult would it be to get into corporate finance after gaining the ACA with a firm outside the big4? Would it be tough?

Not sure that was directed at me but if it was, I assume you mean corporate finance in an investment bank? I don't have any direct experience with this so it is entirely from what I've read/heard.

Firstly, I don't think accounting firms outside the Big 4 tend to have corporate finance divisions (although I seem to remember someone saying Grant Thornton had a CF division close to being comparable with the Big 4) and if they do, they won't carry out work particularly relevant to the kind that IB's do (much much smaller deals). Secondly, it is hard enough moving from Big 4 corporate finance to an IB, let alone moving from a medium size Acc firm having worked in, say, assurance. Basically, I imagine it would be more than 'tough'.

If you meant moving from a medium sized firm having gained the ACA to Big 4 CF, that is probably more doable but seems a somewhat unorthodox progression. Big 4 CF is still very competitive and noticeably more selective than audit or the like. I would also expect the Big 4 prefer to hire graduates and train them in their CF division themselves, rather than hiring those from outside the firm who are already qualified, although I could be misguided here...
(edited 11 years ago)
Apparently there are more travelling opportunities in banking than chartered accountancy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMOmB1q8W4Y
Original post by M1011
From what I hear (but I'm by no means an expert), the best way to get in to corporate finance once qualified is to transfer internally within your firm. Once you've got experience you can then look to change firm if you wish.

Do all of the Accountancy Age top 50 have corporate finance departments? I'm sure many of them don't as they're not geared towards it and are quite small. Would you be able to leave once you're an NQ to a new firm and start out in corp finance with someone else?
Do all of the Accountancy Age top 50 have corporate finance departments? I'm sure many of them don't as they're not geared towards it and are quite small. Would you be able to leave once you're an NQ to a new firm and start out in corp finance with someone else?

http://www.accountancyage.com/digital_assets/3322/AccyAgeTop50v6.pdf

The second page shows a breakdown of income by department. CF is near the far right.
Original post by UKiwi
Not sure that was directed at me but if it was, I assume you mean corporate finance in an investment bank? I don't have any direct experience with this so it is entirely from what I've read/heard.

Firstly, I don't think accounting firms outside the Big 4 tend to have corporate finance divisions (although I seem to remember someone saying Grant Thornton had a CF division close to being comparable with the Big 4) and if they do, they won't carry out work particularly relevant to the kind that IB's do (much much smaller deals). Secondly, it is hard enough moving from Big 4 corporate finance to an IB, let alone moving from a medium size Acc firm having worked in, say, assurance. Basically, I imagine it would be more than 'tough'.

If you meant moving from a medium sized firm having gained the ACA to Big 4 CF, that is probably more doable but seems a somewhat unorthodox progression. Big 4 CF is still very competitive and noticeably more selective than audit or the like. I would also expect the Big 4 prefer to hire graduates and train them in their CF division themselves, rather than hiring those from outside the firm who are already qualified, although I could be misguided here...

I was thinking more of the latter, medium firm acc, get the ACA and go to the big4. I think you might be right. But I read from one of the other threads that ACA is the most important thing and it enables you to try different things etc other than audit
Original post by monk_keys
http://www.accountancyage.com/digital_assets/3322/AccyAgeTop50v6.pdf

The second page shows a breakdown of income by department. CF is near the far right.

Wow, so CF outside big4 really is tiny. Although I've seen a local firm which is outside the AA 50+50 and they have a CF department, albeit it's fairly small. The heads of department were trained by KPMG and GT. I guess some businesses will use local firms etc. Do you know if big4 do many experienced hires?
Reply 26
I was thinking more of the latter, medium firm acc, get the ACA and go to the big4. I think you might be right. But I read from one of the other threads that ACA is the most important thing and it enables you to try different things etc other than audit

Having an ACA under your belt most definitely opens up a variety of opportunities in finance and industry, but equally the Big 4 'brand name' can be extremely useful - some job positions ask specifically for big 4 ACA qualified.
Wow, so CF outside big4 really is tiny. Although I've seen a local firm which is outside the AA 50+50 and they have a CF department, albeit it's fairly small. The heads of department were trained by KPMG and GT. I guess some businesses will use local firms etc. Do you know if big4 do many experienced hires?

Best thing to do is actually search for jobs on their websites.
Original post by UKiwi
Having an ACA under your belt most definitely opens up a variety of opportunities in finance and industry, but equally the Big 4 'brand name' can be extremely useful - some job positions ask specifically for big 4 ACA qualified.

Very true what you say about big4 name, it will probably make it easier to get into big companies. I just had a quick look a finance vacancy at Virgin and they asked for ACA and big4 experience. But there's only x amount of places every year with the big4. Do the big4 take NQs? I doubt they would when they let so many grads leave them upon qualifying. I guess they only take experienced hires if you have something like 10 years experience or something
Reply 29
Very true what you say about big4 name, it will probably make it easier to get into big companies. I just had a quick look a finance vacancy at Virgin and they asked for ACA and big4 experience. But there's only x amount of places every year with the big4. Do the big4 take NQs? I doubt they would when they let so many grads leave them upon qualifying. I guess they only take experienced hires if you have something like 10 years experience or something

They take on loads of NQ's. Mainly due to the mass exodus of trainee's on qualification. This doesn't just happen at the big4, I would estimate from my experience at least 50% of people leave on qualification.

Helped by the fact, recruitment consultants will be over you once you qualify!
Original post by Big_Dave
They take on loads of NQ's. Mainly due to the mass exodus of trainee's on qualification. This doesn't just happen at the big4, I would estimate from my experience at least 50% of people leave on qualification.

Helped by the fact, recruitment consultants will be over you once you qualify!

Recruitment consultants are all over NQs or just big4 NQs?
Do the big4 take NQs?
Yes, we're almost always a bit short of seniors, it's not like the big4 choose to have a mass outflow of their own NQs post qualifying.

As for the now slightly old opening question, it depends an awful lot what the chartered accountant is doing - Auditors tend to travel a lot within the UK, but occasionally abroad client dependent, corporate tax tend to stay in the office, international tax get slightly more opportunity to move (and have better transferability abroad), CF and M&A get decent travel opportunities sometimes depending on client base.

I'd say seniority is also a factor, but again that's contingent on clients and your role in the firm.
Reply 32
Recruitment consultants are all over NQs or just big4 NQs?

Any NQ's.

For example..... when you complete the final exams, there are loads of them waiting outside the exam hall inviting you to bars where they have setup bar tabs and you can drink for free.
Any NQ's.

For example..... when you complete the final exams, there are loads of them waiting outside the exam hall inviting you to bars where they have setup bar tabs and you can drink for free.

You being serious, that sounds class. Motivation to pass the ACA in that case :biggrin:
You being serious, that sounds class. Motivation to pass the ACA in that case :biggrin:

Free bars soon lose their novelty working for a Big 4 firm. Trust me.
Reply 35
Original post by MancStudent098
Yes, we're almost always a bit short of seniors, it's not like the big4 choose to have a mass outflow of their own NQs post qualifying.

They do actually. They pay less then you're worth once qualified precisely because they need people to leave. They can't have to many expensive qualified employees taking up the room of us cheap graduates. It's an effective business model which is a win for both firm and employee, we get the best training available and they get essentially cheap labour.

That's not to say that they won't take some NQ's on though, just saying that if they didn't want lots to leave they would pay more. Just look at what happened back in 2009 (I think). Recession made it difficult for people to find jobs so nobody was leaving, hence lots of redundancies across the big 4.

Original post by Brotherhood

Oh no. Don't you ruin my student dreams. Free bar :sogood:
Original post by Brotherhood

Wasnt talking about free bars lol. I meant the great career opportunities available if what big dave said is true. :tongue:
Reply 37
Wasnt talking about free bars lol. I meant the great career opportunities available if what big dave said is true. :tongue:

I'm doing it all for the free bars :sogood:
Reply 38

"if". It is. Anyways trust me, after finals the last thing you will want to is talk to a recruitment consultant.

Also a word of advice going forward, when/if you qualify remember recruitment consultants will bull**** you massively, always take what they say with a pinch of salt!
"if". It is. Anyways trust me, after finals the last thing you will want to is talk to a recruitment consultant.

Also a word of advice going forward, when/if you qualify remember recruitment consultants will bull**** you massively, always take what they say with a pinch of salt!

I trust you man :smile: okayand hopefully I do. I can imagine the BS. A lot to get you to sign on the dotted line. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending