The Student Room Group

How long do you like your lectures?

Scroll to see replies

Ideally 1 hour. That doesnt happen though I have had lectures that are over 4 hours long theyre painful :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by restoration
Ideally 1 hour. That doesnt happen though I have had lectures that are over 4 hours long theyre painful :/

4 hours? I can't imagine learning anything after being talked at for 2 hours

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Depends on the topic really. One of my psychology modules had 1 hour lectures because most of the info was to be researched independently, while another module had 2 hour lectures as everything in them was being taught from scratch that would take too long for people to learn by themselves.
All of mine this past year were an hour, except one in second term that was 2 hours because that module didn't have seminars. I much prefer 1 hour lectures - by time I get halfway through a two hour one, my note-taking peters down and I just don't absorb anything. Even thoughI only had about 8 hours teaching time a week, I preferred that because I enjoy independent learning at my own pace much more....

From September I have three modules a term (rather than six as I previously did...). One has weekly two hour lectures and fortnightly seminars, the other weekly hourly lectures and fortnightly 2 hour seminars and the last has weekly hourly lectures and seminars. Which will be difficult to arrange evenly....
Reply 24
An hour I found too short; the lecturer often starts after about 5 to 10 minutes, and there are still people wandering in 15 minutes after the start of the hour. Most of my lecturers finished about 10 minutes short of the hour, to give themselves and the audience enough time to walk to their next lecture/seminar (though I had a lecturer who often finished 20 minutes before the end of the hour). If there were any people in the audience who were walking quite far then they would sometimes leave 5 or 10 minutes before the lecturer had even finished. All this faffing about means than in many lectures there were only about 20-30 minutes when everyone was sitting still (well, that was my experience anyway). On the other hand, 2 hour lectures would seem to drag on for ages. We used to have 90 minute lessons at sixth form and I think that amount of time might be perfect for lectures, but none of my lecturers ever tried it, presumably for the hassle it would cause with room booking.

Edit: Also, I'm a little shocked at your preferred length of 30 minutes. Quite a few people have to travel a couple of miles or more to be there every day, 30 minutes would seem barely worth it. Arriving at university at 9 and then finding myself already walking home by 10 would often feel like a waste of time, never mind if I'd been walking home by 9.30!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Leicestergrad11
4 hours? I can't imagine learning anything after being talked at for 2 hours

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

No I agree with you it's rubbish :frown: I had lectures even after that long one haha its stupid! There isn't alot of point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending