Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fullfact Debunks Tory Right-Wing Propaganda.

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of Information shows no evidence for thousands of 'never-worked' families

http://fullfact.org/articles/are_the...families-27515

Tory politicians, if I remember correctly, said that there were thousands of feckless families who 'never worked', and that something must be done about it/them. Turns out it's all propaganda and lies...or at least based on zero evidence.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    The article just says the information on entire family employment and earnings is not available. Yes it was a fraudulent claim but I am sure there are children growing up in families where parents/grand-parents have never work.
    Obviously it is a meek claim to base a welfare shake up on. It does not take into account the possible cyclical and structural reasons for traditions of unemployment in families.

Propaganda - yes, entirely inaccurate - no
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So this was done to attempt to debunk the claim that:

"Thousands of children are growing up in families where their parents and grandparents have never worked."

If this is the case, then there are two generations of "never-worked", parents and grandparents. Later in the same article, the following is said:

"They found that, while workless households were certainly a problem, worklessness across two generations accounted for only a small fraction of households, and those with two-generations who had 'never worked' accounted for around 0.1 per cent of all households, around 26,000."

So they found that 26,000 households where neither the parents or the grandparents never worked. Assuming that there are two children per household, that is 52,000 children "growing up in families where their parents and grandparents have never worked." Surely that meets the "thousands" that successive governments have claimed are in such a position?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegaffer91)
    So this was done to attempt to debunk the claim that:

"Thousands of children are growing up in families where their parents and grandparents have never worked."

If this is the case, then there are two generations of "never-worked", parents and grandparents. Later in the same article, the following is said:

"They found that, while workless households were certainly a problem, worklessness across two generations accounted for only a small fraction of households, and those with two-generations who had 'never worked' accounted for around 0.1 per cent of all households, around 26,000."

So they found that 26,000 households where neither the parents or the grandparents never worked. Assuming that there are two children per household, that is 52,000 children "growing up in families where their parents and grandparents have never worked." Surely that meets the "thousands" that successive governments have claimed are in such a position?
    A generation is about 30 years; two generations, that's 60 years. It's unsubstantiated.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    A generation is about 30 years; two generations, that's 60 years. It's unsubstantiated.
    I'm sorry I don't get the relevance of the point you're trying to make? By the articles own admission there are some tens of thousands (their figures suggest 26000) of households where two generations (1: parent, 2: grandparent) have never worked. I fail to see how this does NOT support Tory (and previously Labour) "observations" regarding work shy families?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ackbar)
    I'm sorry I don't get the relevance of the point you're trying to make? By the articles own admission there are some tens of thousands (their figures suggest 26000) of households where two generations (1: parent, 2: grandparent) have never worked. I fail to see how this does NOT support Tory (and previously Labour) "observations" regarding work shy families?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Martyn*'s Told Status:

[ ] NOT TOLD
    [ ] TOLD
    [ ] ****ING TOLD
    [ ] TOLDENEYE 64
    [ ] THE 40 YEAR TOLD VIRGIN
    [ ] TEXAS TOLD'EM POKER
    [ ] BLACKBERRY TOLD
    [ ] STONE TOLD STEVE AUSTIN
    [ ] TOLD MCDONALD HAD A FARM
    [ ] AUSTIN POWERS TOLDMEMBER
    [ ] CASH4TOLD.COM
    [ ] TOLDERONE
    [ ] TOLDPLAY
    [x] TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TOLDLES

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 7, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.