The Student Room Group

My Girlfriend was told she failed the course what happens can she retake?

My Girlfriend is an international student she failed an exam last year and missed it this year because she was under the idea that the exam was same time as another which turned out it wasn't. She told she has now failed the course as a result, what does this mean?
What can she do?
Will she be deported?
Can she retake the course?

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

It'd be very difficult for us to say... she has to talk to her personal tutor or an adviser at the uni. I'm sure they have options for people who have been in such a scenario as I'm guessing it will have happened to international students in the past.
Reply 2
Your girlfriend needs to contact her tutor now and see what options she had available to her. Some universities restrict you to 2 attempts at any module, by missing her second attempt without mitigating circumstances, she may have been deemed to have used both attempts. She may be able to appeal, but she needs to approach the university now. Thinking exam X clashed with exam Y, she should have told the exam registrar. Any confusion or rescheduling could have been handled then.

With regard to her visa, if she is here on a tier 4 student visa, then if her university terminate her studies, then she will be in breach of her visa conditions and have to leave. The university is required to inform UKBA if a student is no longer on the course. Assuming she still has leave to remain on her current visa, I think you have 60 days after this event to find a new course and make a fresh visa application.

A good university, provided that attendance requirement had been met will not inform UKBA until all options have been exhausted. But if your girlfriend does not work with the university to achieve the required credit, it will result in her visa being terminated. If the visa is terminated and she does not make alternative arrangements or leave the UK within the grace period, she risks being deported and banned from the UK for 1 - 10 years.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
what the chances of an appeal??
Reply 4
Thought her exams clashed, so instead of inquiring about it decided to just not go to one of them...
Reply 5
Original post by Speckle
Thought her exams clashed, so instead of inquiring about it decided to just not go to one of them...

she didn't enquiry because she was worried about being judged, she has poor self esteem which made it hard for for to intereact with people at the uni including lectures and students
Reply 6
It also seemed to stop her when she was going through incredible rougth spot she said she tried student help but found them ineffective so stopped also when she had trouble on the course she never asks for any sort of help so the problem just got worse
Reply 7
Original post by th20051992
she didn't enquiry because she was worried about being judged, she has poor self esteem which made it hard for for to intereact with people at the uni including lectures and students

It also seemed to stop her when she was going through incredible rougth spot she said she tried student help but found them ineffective so stopped also when she had trouble on the course she never asks for any sort of help so the problem just got worse

Wow, you are an incredibly supportive partner! : )

Why don't you go with her to Uni and see to it that she sees the right people? It would help her out if someone's there with her if she's not confident with a lot of things.
Reply 8
Is your girlfriend at state funded university or a private college?

First write down what the issuses are, apart from this exam, has she passed everything else? Read the course booklet, it should set out the rules for progression, retakes and appeals. Has she got any documented health grounds, supported by a doctor's letter. Has she achieved more than 80% attendance.

If the university is uk government funded, go with her to the department in the first instance, talk to the course director if possible. They will be in a much better position to discuss what the options are. If this does not resolve the issue. go to the international student office and see if they have any suggestions. She may be able to appeal to the university, but appeals are subject to deadlines. So do not delay.

If it is a private college, there should be process but they tend to be less flexible. It may be a question of paying to retake a term.

If she is unable to overturn the termination decision, she needs to look at other study options if she wants to continue her studies. She may be able to transfer to another university. But to do this she will need to apply for a new visa, satisfy the new financial requirements and be within the study time limits. She must also have had more than 80% attendance at her current institution to be considered for a transfer elsewhere.

If it becomes a UKBA matter, they are not that flexible, the rules will be applied and she would be best to leave if directed to do so. Overstaying is an automatic 1 year ban and there are very limited grounds to appeal, so she is unlikely to be successful.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
It might sound harsh but put yourself into the position of the uni. would you give her another chance when she didn't even bother checking her exam. timetable.

Also, is uni. life really for her if "she finds it hard to interact with lecturer and students". You can't hold her hands all the time, even if they let her re-sit again, will history repeats itself nexy year?
Reply 10
Original post by poony
It might sound harsh but put yourself into the position of the uni. would you give her another chance when she didn't even bother checking her exam. timetable.

Also, is uni. life really for her if "she finds it hard to interact with lecturer and students". You can't hold her hands all the time, even if they let her re-sit again, will history repeats itself nexy year?

I understand what you are saying but i have worked with her and she is smart enough and hardworking when she needs to be. The problem is she had some serious problems the first year ( please refer to previous post, however i will say that she does have depression) which allowed her to get mitgrating circumstances and help, but they ended because she stopped seeing the uni believing it to be not helping. The other problem is her self esteem she has problems facing other people, while going uni to discusss a problem may be easy for you or me, the process is scary for her, she has been in situation where she has been under extreme pressure from others and because of this she struggles to face people because she thinks she is being judge ( made worse by the fact she sees herself as an immigrant in people's minds).

I also believe the course she is doing is more her parents choice then her own since they want her to go into big business while she has said to me how she prefer something smaller. She also spends almost all her looking at papers on food and nutrition and honestly i think she would enjoy a subject like public health.

I hope this helps i thought I better give some more information.
Reply 11
Original post by poony

I know I can't hold her hand all the time but the problem is that she doesn't have anyone else, she needs someone to help her and she is struggling because of problems that if she could get help for, could be dealt with. I have dealt with depression before and I know how it feels, the difference was that i had support she hasn't.

People can't be spoon feed through life but they shouldn't be left alone suffering when something can be done to help them.

If she goes home she going be situation where all the hardship and work will be a waste she will have to face the judgement of her parents, it isn't fair and could make her life worse.

Everyone needs help at some point in their life, which is a point we should also remember.
I don't understand why she didn't check her exam dates properly, that's really not the sort of thing you can just go off assumptions! She can appeal but she will probably need a better reason than simply just not reading her timetable?
Reply 13
Ok, she failed an exam. last year 2011, failed the re-sit ? Given a chance to re-sit the one exam. in 2012. She didn't check the timetable and missed it.

No one can tell you if she will have a chance for another re-sit or chancge of course apart from the uni. If she is not willing to speak to the uni. you can't do it for her. All you can do is to find out the appropriate person to speak to.

If she is suffereing from depression, why not go to the GP instead. Also by returning to uni might not be the best option for her. Financially, as a oversea student, her parent is paying nearly £13/14k per year + accomodation and living expenses. Unless she can support herself, would it be more sensible if she returns home and get support from her family. After all, she is their daughter and you might be a very supportive boyfriend but not her family. She can always re apply once she is better using her existing A level results. Her well being is more important than a BSs or BA.
Reply 14
Original post by poony
Ok, she failed an exam. last year 2011, failed the re-sit ? Given a chance to re-sit the one exam. in 2012. She didn't check the timetable and missed it.

No one can tell you if she will have a chance for another re-sit or chancge of course apart from the uni. If she is not willing to speak to the uni. you can't do it for her. All you can do is to find out the appropriate person to speak to.

If she is suffereing from depression, why not go to the GP instead. Also by returning to uni might not be the best option for her. Financially, as a oversea student, her parent is paying nearly £13/14k per year + accomodation and living expenses. Unless she can support herself, would it be more sensible if she returns home and get support from her family. After all, she is their daughter and you might be a very supportive boyfriend but not her family. She can always re apply once she is better using her existing A level results. Her well being is more important than a BSs or BA.

Ok i be blunt i mentioned in previous post that during the first year of the degree she was in an abusive relationship which she got out in January, from what i was told she was still suffering the affects til june where at one point she was admitted to hospital for self harm. She also was scammed a huge amount of money by estate agency, which led to her going into emergency housing which i knew about but only when trying to put the appeal together did i find it happened more or less a few days before the retake. She did a police report so there is proof for this. She more or less been suffering dpression since then which has affected her studies which im sure you can agree going through all of that alone is terrible. She stopped going uni lectures and talking to uni out of fear of judgement which suffering from depression i can understand.

She needs to get help which by staying at uni i believe she can get. The problem is if she goes home she will have to deal with her parents who were very strict and im worried that this could cause worse problems.

I had a friend who was in similer circumstance in terms of failing uni and having a lot or pressure on him to succed, he hung himself in February. This is all true and that why i believe she would be better at uni i have talked to her and she has agreed to get help which she can get if she is allowed to continue.
Reply 15
anyone i could really do with help?
reinsurance anything?
She needs to go to her tutor, TSR isn't gonna know!
Reply 17
Original post by funsongfactory
She needs to go to her tutor, TSR isn't gonna know!

yer going tommorow just trying work out sort thing to say wrote up list of the issues from last year and any mental issues or issues related to the course. As well as considering how can be backed up i.e police and hospital records

I have emailed the head of the course, module and university

and have talked with my girlfriend about what she wants to acturally get to the course and taking steps to prevent this happening again

I just want know what else can be done to give her the best chance

I'm sorry if im going on like a broken record(to any readers) but im really worried I don't want see her get hurt :frown:

I have emailed the head of the course, module and university

Don't mean to be harsh, as I know you obviously care a lot about her, but why are you getting involved? It's your girlfriend's issue to sort out, not yours.
Reply 19
Original post by funsongfactory
Don't mean to be harsh, as I know you obviously care a lot about her, but why are you getting involved? It's your girlfriend's issue to sort out, not yours.

As i said she doesn't have any family around to help her, she scared to go to uni and is super shy so hasn't got many friends. In times like this we all need someone to rely on and I am that person.

I am doing it because it right thing to do and don't want her to end up hurt as result of this and if you want get in selfish reasons I don't want her to leave

Quick Reply