The Student Room Group

My Girlfriend was told she failed the course what happens can she retake?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Why should she have a third chance? Isn't that just devaluing the work of other students at the university who manage first time around? It's one thing to miss an exam for extenuating circumstances (a crash or something), perhaps even to oversleep (bit lame but it happens), but to knowingly just not go to an exam which was already a retake is just not a smart move.
Original post by th20051992
As i said she doesn't have any family around to help her, she scared to go to uni and is super shy so hasn't got many friends. In times like this we all need someone to rely on and I am that person.

I am doing it because it right thing to do and don't want her to end up hurt as result of this and if you want get in selfish reasons I don't want her to leave

I understand that, but I mean that surely it really needs to be her contacting the university as it's her that failed? Might make her come across as immature if you're doing it on her behalf.
Reply 22
Original post by edjunkie
Your girlfriend needs to contact her tutor now and see what options she had available to her. Some universities restrict you to 2 attempts at any module, by missing her second attempt without mitigating circumstances, she may have been deemed to have used both attempts. She may be able to appeal, but she needs to approach the university now. Thinking exam X clashed with exam Y, she should have told the exam registrar. Any confusion or rescheduling could have been handled then.

With regard to her visa, if she is here on a tier 4 student visa, then if her university terminate her studies, then she will be in breach of her visa conditions and have to leave. The university is required to inform UKBA if a student is no longer on the course. Assuming she still has leave to remain on her current visa, I think you have 60 days after this event to find a new course and make a fresh visa application.

A good university, provided that attendance requirement had been met will not inform UKBA until all options have been exhausted. But if your girlfriend does not work with the university to achieve the required credit, it will result in her visa being terminated. If the visa is terminated and she does not make alternative arrangements or leave the UK within the grace period, she risks being deported and banned from the UK for 1 - 10 years.

yikes!
Reply 23
Original post by funsongfactory
I understand that, but I mean that surely it really needs to be her contacting the university as it's her that failed? Might make her come across as immature if you're doing it on her behalf.

She contacting the uni im just helping her sort the stuff out and coming with her for moral support just trying to help
Reply 24
Original post by M1011
Why should she have a third chance? Isn't that just devaluing the work of other students at the university who manage first time around? It's one thing to miss an exam for extenuating circumstances (a crash or something), perhaps even to oversleep (bit lame but it happens), but to knowingly just not go to an exam which was already a retake is just not a smart move.

Yes it wasn't the best move but there were reasons behind her choice maybe not the best but still, in terms of the first two trys consider the situation not the number, I didnt have a problem with the exam but if i had been in relationship which consisted of abuse both verbal, financial and worse or had been scammed out of money with the possible prospect of being homeless then i can say truthly i doubt i could pass. Yes she could have gotten mitigated circumstance maybe but when your scared of being judged going forward and admitting a proble is a terryfying prospect(plus it happened in summer holiday where if your trying to just sort out just somewhere to live trying to get in contact of the uni is going be least of your worrys). As you said people have failed for oversleeping or getting drunk but have past second time around but these are different circumstances. If you don't believe so then you are devaluing the issues abuse and financial fraud.
Reply 25
Yes it wasn't the best move but there were reasons behind her choice maybe not the best but still, in terms of the first two trys consider the situation not the number, I didnt have a problem with the exam but if i had been in relationship which consisted of abuse both verbal, financial and worse or had been scammed out of money with the possible prospect of being homeless then i can say truthly i doubt i could pass. Yes she could have gotten mitigated circumstance maybe but when your scared of being judged going forward and admitting a proble is a terryfying prospect(plus it happened in summer holiday where if your trying to just sort out just somewhere to live trying to get in contact of the uni is going be least of your worrys). As you said people have failed for oversleeping or getting drunk but have past second time around but these are different circumstances. If you don't believe so then you are devaluing the issues abuse and financial fraud.

Perhaps. Or perhaps those are excuses. I don't see how any of this equates to missing the exam. Poor performance perhaps, but not missing the exam. Frankly I despair at the amount of excuses I hear at university for poor performance. I'm sure some are legitimate, maybe yours is to, but more often then not its just self indulgent excuses for a lack of effort or ability. Everyone has their own stuff going on, yet most of us pass just fine.

Then again it's not my opinion that counts, so seek advise from the university. Nobody here can tell you what will happen realistically.
Reply 26
To save confusion failed the first two just and missed the third
Reply 27
Unfortunately until your girlfriend is ready to work with the university to come up with a solution, her outlook is bleak.

As you describe it, she has been through a tough time, but she has to want things to change, you can only support. If her self esteem issues and pride are stopping her seeking help and getting help, there is very little that can be done. As an international student, she needs to comply with the terms of her visa, this adds urgency to her situtation.

The best thing that you can do, is go with her to the university on Monday and get her to talk to someone. They are there to help, not to judge. But if she does not engage with the university quickly, the decision terminate her from the course will stand and there will be no more time to appeal or make other arrangements.

You do not say whether she has met the attendance requirement. If she hasn't and she is on a tier 4 visa, then this could be the real source of her problems.
Reply 28
Original post by edjunkie
Unfortunately until your girlfriend is ready to work with the university to come up with a solution, her outlook is bleak.

As you describe it, she has been through a tough time, but she has to want things to change, you can only support. If her self esteem issues and pride are stopping her seeking help and getting help, there is very little that can be done. As an international student, she needs to comply with the terms of her visa, this adds urgency to her situtation.

The best thing that you can do, is go with her to the university on Monday and get her to talk to someone. They are there to help, not to judge. But if she does not engage with the university quickly, the decision terminate her from the course will stand and there will be no more time to appeal or make other arrangements.

You do not say whether she has met the attendance requirement. If she hasn't and she is on a tier 4 visa, then this could be the real source of her problems.

Thank you we will check, We spent the last few weeks discussing the problem and the letter has acted as an incentive for her to recognize this she has stated she wants to change and we have made breakthrough in recognising some of the problems, she has sent email informing the uni stating she wants to continue both to get her degree and to overcome the problems she has and has faced :smile:

Hopefully we can start making progress tomorrow

I will ask about the visa i do know she studied something else before starting this course in the Uk
Reply 29
If the appeal fails can she continue to study in the UK say start another course at the local college or one of the other universities, also she does have job if it is significant part time but still???
Reply 30
If she studies at below university level, then depending on where she studies she may or may not be able to work. If she is given work permission it will be limited to 10 hours a week.

To change to another course, she has to show academic progression and have met the attendance criteria on her current course. She will also need to meet the financial criteria, money to cover the first year course fees plus maintenance in cash, kept in a recognised finanancial institution for 28 days prior to applying for a new visa.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Went to doctors and she was disgnosied with depression and server anxiety problems she was prescribed with sertraline and doctor notes does this improve her chances. Also I found out the abuse she had from her ex was worse then I knew and I am currently struggling to help, since she only started talking really in detail about it to me i don't know what to do. I am trying to get her to talk to people since she still upset about it but it is proving difficult since she doesnt trust people and she believes what happened was normal and her fault :frown:

I don't know how to help.
Any postive help or feedback would be welcome.

Dont say it her through or anything because hearing what she had to put up with from this guy is truely horriffic and I don't want go in details anymore.
TBH

I think that she probably need to go home to her family

Come to terms with her situation with the support her family can give

Then look at alternatives for the future
Reply 33
Original post by TenOfThem
TBH

I think that she probably need to go home to her family

Come to terms with her situation with the support her family can give

Then look at alternatives for the future

The problem is being she doesnt want to see her family she cut contact which was unhealthy but general problem is they are very judgemental/ traditional. When she came out of her abusive relationship her mum came to check she was fine but one of the first thing she said to her was that it was because she was acting like slut. She has also had a bit abusive relationship with her mum since she used to hit her. Chinese culture is pretty bad as it strives for results over mental health which is largerly ignored, we both worried that it could just make it worse for her.
The problem is being she doesnt want to see her family she cut contact which was unhealthy but general problem is they are very judgemental/ traditional. When she came out of her abusive relationship her mum came to check she was fine but one of the first thing she said to her was that it was because she was acting like slut. She has also had a bit abusive relationship with her mum since she used to hit her. Chinese culture is pretty bad as it strives for results over mental health which is largerly ignored, we both worried that it could just make it worse for her.

That is clearly not good

However ... university is not a solution for these problems
Reply 35
Original post by TenOfThem
That is clearly not good

However ... university is not a solution for these problems

yer but they can provide help and she is capable of doing the work, what we hoping is for her to retake the year and redo the work, while getting proffesinal help which she wouldnt get at home. I have said I be there whenever she needs help like I have been doing before. Yet I was wondering if people could just give advise on what i can do help, I have listened, gave resurance and moral support as well as little things to help cheer her up but not sure if there is anything esle I can do. I'm asking since this previous relationship has made ours difficult some times especially since she thinks that im going end up treating her like this other guy did which i never would, what can I do to reinsure her I'm not like him and just things I can do to help?

She has been through a lot and I believe she desevres another chance, depite the difficulties this year at uni she has made progress. She is more willing to talk about her problems then bury them and she even got a job recently, which I'm really proud of her doing :smile:
Yet I was wondering if people could just give advise on what i can do help, I have listened, gave resurance and moral support as well as little things to help cheer her up but not sure if there is anything esle I can do.

I do not think there is anything else you can do

But I have to re-iterate that the role of the university is not to provide a sanctuary for people

She will of course, need to talk to the university about her situation but I honestly think she needs to be considering alternatives too
Reply 37
University are not sanction but they are to provide education and look after the well being of their pupils. The alternative to her staying here is going home where she wont be able to get the support services she needs and has to face her family which she says she can't face doing. I had a friend last year who was thrown off the course with no support he HUNG himself. The university failed to help him and im not going standby and let that happen to her.

I find it hard to believe based on some repsonses and negetive rep that people don't seem be able to sympathis with someone who suffered what is classed as abuse at home and has failed her course as result of domestic abuse. Instead opting to have her sent back home instead of attempting someone despite some problems is perfectly capable the work she handed in is of excellent quality.
Reply 38
What i'm begining ask based on some specific responses from elsewhere ( so to reillterate this is not directec at anyone on here), that someone response is that if it had been a British girl she would have gotten help yet because she is an international student it better to go home. I find that wrong on so many levels, that someone (not on here again) said that girl should be sent home despite having a judgemental family instead of recieving help purely because of the colour of her skin and the crime of not being born in this country is absolutly sick.
University are not sanction but they are to provide education and look after the well being of their pupils. The alternative to her staying here is going home where she wont be able to get the support services she needs and has to face her family which she says she can't face doing. I had a friend last year who was thrown off the course with no support he HUNG himself. The university failed to help him and im not going standby and let that happen to her.

I find it hard to believe based on some repsonses and negetive rep that people don't seem be able to sympathis with someone who suffered what is classed as abuse at home and has failed her course as result of domestic abuse. Instead opting to have her sent back home instead of attempting someone despite some problems is perfectly capable the work she handed in is of excellent quality.

If this was in response to my posts

I have not suggested that she be "sent" anywhere

I was posting suggestions that I hoped would be of assistance to her and you

However, it is clear that you are not interested in my thoughts so

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending